1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 03:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

i am quite sure that studies indicate that religious people lead more purposeful and thus happier lives, not to mention live longer, what say you?
    Like Islamic jihadists and suicide bombers, for example?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 04:33
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Like Islamic jihadists and suicide bombers, for example?
    Naw, naw! Only people who celebrate Kwanza!
  3. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 10:59
    followers of jim jones and david koresh would also disagree.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 11:3111 edits
    i think that as as joy is the second fruitage of Gods holy spirit, Galatians 5:22,23, then one should expect Christians to exhibit joy, not all the time naturally, but even in the face of adversity, still be joyful.

however what has the poor atheist with which to comfort himself, but his natural inclinations, pretense of logic and a subconscious ...[text shortened]... us people lead more purposeful and thus happier lives, not to mention live longer, what say you?
    …i think that as as joy is the second fruitage of Gods holy spirit, Galatians 5:22,23, then one should expect Christians to exhibit joy, not all the time naturally, but even in the face of adversity, still be joyful.…

What does that mean? -they artificially force themselves go around with a silly joyful grin on their faces and artificially force themselves to be artificially happy even when the nukes are dropping in front of them or they are being chased by body snatching aliens or rampaging bulls just because the Bible says they should?
    And why can’t an atheist be “joyful”?

…however what has the poor atheist with which to comfort himself, but his natural inclinations, pretence of logic and a subconscious moulded by archetypical models like Mao, Marx and Dr. Spok, thus his emotions are there to be subdued and controlled, irrational feelings like laughter are subjected and rejected ..…

You have a totally delusional and absurd view on atheists -frankly, just like all atheists I know of, I don’t care if emotions are categorised as “irrational”, I still don’t have motive to reject them.
    And why on earth would I want to avoid or suppress a pleasant feeling such as “laughter”; this is a totally absurd suggestion. I certainly do not try to suppress my sence of humour -why should I?
    And a certainly do not want nor do act like ‘Dr. Spok’ with his irritating excessive use of the word “logical”.
    Obviously, we atheists express our emotions just like everybody else -if we are happy we smile and if we are annoyed we frown.

…i am quite sure that studies indicate that religious people lead more purposeful..…

How can you scientific “measure” the “purposefulness” in somebody’s life?
    “purposefulness” is subjective and is not a scientifically defined quantity thus it is impossible for a scientific study to measure the “purposefulness” of atheists and theists to make the comparison and any so called “scientific” study that claims otherwise is unscientific.

I decide my own purpose in life.
    I don’t need a book nor any person nor any dogma to dictate to me what my purpose should be because I can choose it for myself using my independent mind.
    How can you scientifically “measure” the purpose I have given to my life to be “less than” somebody else’s (either that of a theist or that of another atheist )?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 12:31
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…i think that as as joy is the second fruitage of Gods holy spirit, Galatians 5:22,23, then one should expect Christians to exhibit joy, not all the time naturally, but even in the face of adversity, still be joyful.…

What does that mean? -they artificially force themselves go around with a silly joyful grin on their faces and artificially ...[text shortened]... my life to be “less than” somebody else’s (either that of a theist or that of another atheist )?[/b]
    haha, i was only making fun, man you guys need to loosen up a bit. however in all seriousness, i do think that you have been a little misrepresented, i just thought that i might help it along a bit.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 12:52
    haha, i was only making fun, man you guys need to loosen up a bit. however in all seriousness, i do think that you have been a little misrepresented, i just thought that i might help it along a bit.
    awa ye feel hoor that s full o coos sharn
    😵
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 16:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Come on, everybody knows that religious people are dour and humorless. It's a commodity they can ill afford as they wither under the gaze of a wrathful god. It's Satan who gets all the best lines.
    This is humorous!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree