1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:02
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The God from which Jesus is son.

Hard to go much further than that, I suppose.
    Especially if you consider the myriad non-orthodox perspectives.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:03
    The God from which Jesus is son.

Hard to go much further than that, I suppose.
    Well that depends on usage. In many cases, Christians who believe in a Trinity would use "God" to mean all three and refer to "The God from which Jesus is son." as "God the Father". Though of course they may also call Jesus "The son of God" so I guess context is all important.

Of course it is still begging for a meaningful definition of "son".

How about "the entity to which Christians pray"?
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How about "the entity to which Christians pray"?
    OK...what is that exactly?
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Especially if you consider the myriad non-orthodox perspectives.
    My typical approach is to ignore such perspectives. I find that the use of the label "Christian" must mean "a significant majority of Christians" or it is useless. This is valid for all labels.

I think that not forgetting diversity is different from pedanticly challenging the use of labels. Which one are you doing? 😉
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:18
    My typical approach is to ignore such perspectives. I find that the use of the label "Christian" must mean "a significant majority of Christians" or it is useless. This is valid for all labels.

I think that not forgetting diversity is different from pedanticly challenging the use of labels. Which one are you doing? 😉
    Trying to get an answer to what the "accepted Christian definition of God" is. I haven't heard of one but then I'm not a Christian. "The Trinity" doesn't cut it, because what is that? A declarative sentence on the nature of God is what I'm after, not that I expect to get it.

(To be perfectly honest I was just trying to annoy Starrman).
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 10:22
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Trying to get an answer to what the "accepted Christian definition of God" is. I haven't heard of one but then I'm not a Christian. "The Trinity" doesn't cut it, because what is that? A declarative sentence on the nature of God is what I'm after, not that I expect to get it.

(To be perfectly honest I was just trying to annoy Starrman).
    You're right. I should be annoying him too, as revenge for not commenting on my last post to him on page 12.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:342 edits
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You bloody hypocrite. You're quite happy to attack people challenging dictionary definitions, but you have no problem challenging the accepted Christian definition of God?
    I have no problem with "people challenging dictionary definitions". However, I must take exception to those who attack those who see no reason not to accept the current dictionary definitions. I hope you can understand that distinction.

From my earlier posts:
    Just because the dictionary definition is no longer the 'literal definition' doesn't necessarily make it 'wrong'. If you believe that, you could spend the rest of your life 'correcting' all the 'wrong' words. Good luck with that.

There very well may be a day when the commonly accepted definition of 'atheist' reverts back to it's literal meaning. Evidently, that day has yet to come. Until that day comes, there isn't anything 'wrong', 'foolish', 'incorrect', 'ignorant', etc. with someone using the commonly accepted definition. Now, if you want to state that some have found it useful to revert to the literal meaning in an attempt to re-categorize the subject and that that's your preference, that's fine.

Also, I wasn't 'challenging the accepted Christian definition of God.' I was challenging his attempt to refute the existence of God by using such criteria.

Where's the hypocrisy?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:38
    Originally posted by Gastel
    My understanding of "strong atheists" are not that they have anymore belief that there is not a god than "weak atheists", rather that they also see the whole concept of religion as corrupting and bad.

For example, many "strong atheists" would point to the current US government which espouses religious dogma while performing acts that are against that same ...[text shortened]... igion was used as a reasoning force to quell public opposition, but had no actual meaning.
    You are completely mistaken.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:39
    Why am I irrational?
    You claim to know something that cannot be known.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:39
    You're right. I should be annoying him too, as revenge for not commenting on my last post to him on page 12.
    Bah, I shouldn't even still be here, I'm ou o fthis debate, but if you want to take that subject up with me PM me and I'll happily have another go at it.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You claim to know something that cannot be known.
    I claim to believe that there are no Gods, I don't claim to know it. Big difference.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:53
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Bah, I shouldn't even still be here, I'm ou o fthis debate, but if you want to take that subject up with me PM me and I'll happily have another go at it.
    You can just ignore the posts you don't care to comment on. But perhaps that's what you did. 😉

It's not that important, I just found the conversation interesting.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:54
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    You died and made you psychologist general? You know NOTHING of me.

YOU think you can change the definitions of God given by the Pope (who is an authority on God), yet a dictionary writer, who claims to be no authority is inerrant?

Actually, thinking about it, are you attempting to claim that dictionary writers are inerrent?
    Perhaps you should consider that in your attempt to refute the existence of God, all you have done is to attempt to refute the conception of God currently held by the Roman Catholic Church.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 14:59
    You can just ignore the posts you don't care to comment on. But perhaps that's what you did. 😉

It's not that important, I just found the conversation interesting.
    Me too, but I have an unstoppable desire to reply to comments that rebutt mine and I can do without the headache of dealing with certain people.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 15:04
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Good point. "Hypocrite" might be bit strong, though.
    A point made by misrepresenting what was said on this thread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree