1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 21:392 edits

atheist [noun] someone who believes that God or gods do not exist.

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

Are most self-proclaimed "atheists" here, truly "agnostics"? From where I sit, it seems that an atheist would require a similar amount of unproven faith as a theist as to the non-existance / existance of God.

If you are truly an atheist, what do you see as "proof" of the non-existence of God?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 21:56
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

agnostic [noun] someone who does not know, or believes that it is impossible to know, whether a god exists.

Are most self-proclaimed "atheists" here, truly "agnostics"? From where I sit, it seems that an atheist would require a similar amount of unproven faith as a theist ...[text shortened]... d.

If you are truly an atheist, what do you see as "proof" of the non-existence of God?
    what would you call somebody who believes in god but does not care about god and all the books and stuff?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 22:06
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    what would you call somebody who believes in god but does not care about god and all the books and stuff?
    Could you elaborate on this? What is God to you? What do you mean by "does not care"?
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 22:17
    Could you elaborate on this? What is God to you? What do you mean by "does not care"?
    somebody who believes god is real but doesn't worship him and does not care of the consequences for it, such as hell.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 22:26
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    somebody who believes god is real but doesn't worship him and does not care of the consequences for it, such as hell.
    There are many different ideas as to what God might be. What do you believe?
  6. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 22:431 edit
    [i]
    [/i]Wrong.
    You aren't disguinishing between strong and weak atheism.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 22:52
    I have asked this question before, too, and I never exactly see an informative answer...

Just for variety, according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

agnostic -- one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

atheist -- one who believes that there is no deity

(http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/agnostic)
    (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/atheist)
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:01

Are most self-proclaimed "atheists" here, truly "agnostics"? From where I sit, it seems that an atheist would require a similar amount of unproven faith as a theist ...[text shortened]... d.

I agree with you.
    I think the strong/weak atheism debate is just another way of saying atheism/agnosticism.

I'm an atheist. Some would call me a strong atheist. I just consider myself atheist.
    I have unproven faith in the non-existence of god.

This began for me as a refusal to accept the 'proof' of the existence of god. All such proofs are circular and unconvincing. But my world has moved on and I now recognise my belief as faith without proof - much as a religious person would have.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:031 edit
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    [/i]Wrong.
    You aren't disguinishing between strong and weak atheism.
    This was from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. You'll have to take it up with them.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4607&dict=CALD

What's your source? What's the difference between "strong" and "weak" atheism? Where does agnosticism fit?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:11
    Originally posted by amannion
    I agree with you.
    I think the strong/weak atheism debate is just another way of saying atheism/agnosticism.

I'm an atheist. Some would call me a strong atheist. I just consider myself atheist.

This began for me as a refusal to accept the 'proof' of the existence of god. All such proofs are circular ...[text shortened]... and I now recognise my belief as faith without proof - much as a religious person would have.
    This is interesting. How is it you started with finding the lack of proof as to the existence of God unacceptable, yet you find the lack of proof in atheism acceptable? Was there a transition period where you were comfortable with "I don't know"?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:14
    Originally posted by amannion
    I agree with you.

This began for me as a refusal to accept the 'proof' of the existence of god. All such proofs are circular ...[text shortened]... and I now recognise my belief as faith without proof - much as a religious person would have.
    Except that the believers faith leads to a relationship with a real God. Whereas the faith of an atheist leads to nowhere.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    Except that the believers faith leads to a relationship with a real God. Whereas the faith of an atheist leads to nowhere.
    Some of you guys are too much. Can't there be one thread without someone indiscriminately taking shots?
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:30

Atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of belief.

If I were to do nothing else in my life but clarify this singular point, it appears there would still be christians out there falsely claiming that atheism is a belief. Why do christians so desperately want to believe that atheism is a belief? It seems to be hard-wired into your psyche, or something.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:393 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of belief.

If I were to do nothing else in my life but clarify this singular point, it appears there would still be christians out there falsely claiming that atheism is a belief. Why do christians so desperately want to believe that atheism is a belief? It seems to be hard-wired into your psyche, or something.
    Maybe because by definition that's what it is. By the way, I don't think this is limited to Christians. It'll be quite the undertaking.

Like I told Bad Wolf:
    This was from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary. You'll have to take it up with them.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=4607&dict=CALD

And from wittywonka:
    Just for variety, according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

agnostic -- one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

atheist -- one who believes that there is no deity

(http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/agnostic)
    (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/atheist)
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Jun '07 23:58
    Some of you guys are too much. Can't there be one thread without someone indiscriminately taking shots?
    It wasn't indiscriminate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree