1. Joined
    04 Jun '03
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 19:09
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism ...[text shortened]... ow where to place you. you would know more about yourself than anyone else so have fun looking
    I don't think I qualify as an agnostic...it's not that I think the existence of god is "unknowable," I just think the concept is without meaning . So how can I know it, not know it or remain neutral

Might as well ask me if I believe in "jsrmglig.". ( no offense to you jsrmgligiqns out there.)
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 19:17
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “..."Atheists still tell their girlfriends they "love" them, and not that they simply feel a psychological artifact of a biochemical bond generated by the mating instinct. ...”

couldn't the word “love” mean a feeling of a “ psychological artefact of a biochemical bond generated by the mating instinct” to both an atheist and a theist?
    I don't see any conflict here (although perhaps you didn't imply any? )
    i don't think any atheist means that😀 despite what vishva said, i strongly believe atheists are human too. they feel warm and fuzzy about certain issues. so an atheist doesn't think he is registering a "psychological artefact of a biochemical bond generated by the mating instinct”. they do feel love. a curious word by the way. in my opinion it is undefinable since we all feel it in our own way. without love, what would be the point in staying with your wife after a child is born(or the previously agreed upon number of children). they stay for reasons not entirely logical.

"I don't see any conflict here (although perhaps you didn't imply any? )"
    in my view the conflict arises when an atheist claims that rational thought dictates that we shouldn't believe in a god until proof of his existance arises all the while believing that their wives/husbands/children loves them, that their friends will not stab them in the back next sunday, that their favourite team will win the next footbal match.

on the other side, the theist scorns the atheist for not believing in something they find obvious, while failing to remember that they themselves at some point were overwhelmed by doubt. they find the existance of god obvious and scorn the atheist of not instantly accepting their belief, but if an atheist loves his wife (a love which is obvious to him) and asks the believer to bet his life on the truthfulness of the love between the atheist and his wife, the believer will be reluctant to do so

i believe the author of the article is trying to express that we should all be honest with ourselves an the other and emphatize with another's choices and view on life, the universe and everything.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 19:20
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Edit: Really? Are you 12 years old?

You fail to even understand what I'm saying and you act like a passive agressive child.
    yeh, i think we are done here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree