1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 21:07
    Anyone who claims to be an athiest
    and they know that they are correct in their view, is just as narrow in their thinking as the average fundamentalist. An agnostic on the other hand at least claims to know nothing, and it's up for grabs. How could any of us know for sure what the reality of eternity is ? It's the religious doctrines that turn so many thinking people off to the whole of spiritual thought. I say keep an open mind on these matters.Don't assume you know what it's all about when thats impossible.
  2. Calgary
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 21:17
    Originally posted by buckky
    and they know that they are correct in their view, is just as narrow in their thinking as the average fundamentalist. An agnostic on the other hand at least claims to know nothing, and it's up for grabs. How could any of us know for sure what the reality of eternity is ? It's the religious doctrines that turn so many th ...[text shortened]... an open mind on these matters.Don't assume you know what it's all about when thats impossible.
    I wonder if anyone knows that cows hold all the answers to existence? That was the tradeoff god gave them. Cows know all, but then become food. McDonalds then make people fat as cows but unfortunately not as smart. Also cows are the source of ALL evil. Wherever there is evil, cows aren't too far away.
  3. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 21:20
    and they know that they are correct in their view, is just as narrow in their thinking as the average fundamentalist. An agnostic on the other hand at least claims to know nothing, and it's up for grabs. How could any of us know for sure what the reality of eternity is ? It's the religious doctrines that turn so many th ...[text shortened]... an open mind on these matters.Don't assume you know what it's all about when thats impossible.
    as Socrates said on theses matters, we'll never know until we die so whats the point of talking about....You're right the truth is we REALLY dont know we just believe and that belief can be in god or not in god.

I think all we can really do is head for a secular spirituality that has universal ideologies of good without contradicating doctrines on god.
  4. Joined
    15 Jul '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 21:30
    One could go so far as to say the agnostic view you just presented is just as narrow, saying that we shouldn't commit to any particular answer because we cannot know. Perhaps it would be better to keep an open mind that it might be possible to know.
  5. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 21:56
    At least athiests live their life, I wouldn't want to waste mine preparing for the next life if there wasn't one...
  6. Meddling with things
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 22:06
    Which sort of atheist did you have in mind or is this a sweeping generalisation? (Not that anyone posting here would ever make a sweeping generalisation)
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 22:11
    Originally posted by Canadaguy
    Also cows are the source of ALL evil. Wherever there is evil, cows aren't too far away.
    Don't kid yourself, Billy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.
  8. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Jul '05 22:12
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    Which sort of atheist did you have in mind or is this a sweeping generalisation? (Not that anyone posting here would ever make a sweeping generalisation)
    Just like a Welshman. I swear, you're all a bunch of wet blankets.
  9. Calgary
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 20:08
    Originally posted by David C
    Don't kid yourself, Billy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.
    Damn straight. Besides I eat at Wendy's
  10. Meddling with things
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 20:55
    Originally posted by David C
    Just like a Welshman. I swear, you're all a bunch of wet blankets.
    thats a little harsh from a nation of lumberjacks
  11. Calgary
    Moves
    28 Jul '05 23:30
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    thats a little harsh from a nation of lumberjacks
    And where do you think maple syrup comes from?
    The brave and noble lumberjack leaves his home and heads into the untamed pristine wildlands of Canada to battle the ferocious maple tree and stave off boredom armed with nothing more then his trusty axe and wits. After many months the heroic lumberjack returns triumphant. Those that fail in their quest hang themselves in shame.
  12. Standard memberTheSphinx
    The-Sphinx
    South East England
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 01:00
    Why are .... athiests .... narrow minded whilst "an agnostic on the other hand at least claims to know nothing, and it's up for grabs."

I am an athiest and would suggest I am far from being narrow minded. Quite the opposite in fact. But is I say I am agnostic, then my narrow mindedness disappears because "... it's up for grabs."
    I am an anthiest. I do not believe in god whatsoever. Why does that statement change me to be classed as "narrow minded?" Surely you could compare that statement to a person who drives a vehicle and a person who doesn't. The person who doesn't drive is not narrow minded, he has simply taken the view, the choice, not to want to learn to drive.

I have to say that as a new guy on RedHotPawn I am enjoying your different views very much. I also admit that I didn't expect this to get as many threads as it has - which is a nice surprice. But what I'm waiting for is, perhaps, the most important answer from a person who believes in a god. That question is, Why do you believe, has something happened in your live to actually MAKE you believe? I suspect not. Or at most one person will come through with a thought provoking repsonse.

I don't believe in god because nothing I have ever read, watched, listened to, even when I was at Sunday School (Does Sunday School still exist?) and I just cannot get my head around so many of the contradition that exist in the bible. At least from what I remember anyhow.

I went to church regulary for a period of about a year, as I tok my son so he could make up his own mind, and felt I was being spoken to as if I was a child and it was the headmaster up there at the Spectre telling us what we should and shouldn't do.

What actually made me stop going altogether was when this vicar said that god was more important than our families, and we should should care more bout 'His ' vies than our families. He then went on to say that the collection the past few weeks was appalling and that we must give at least 1/3rd of our net wages to the church!
    Why, when at the time the Church was one of the richest organisations in the entire country should I starve my family so I can give 1/3rd of my income to church so I could have a clean conscious each week. That totally killed of everything for me, well killed off the miniscule of interest I had.

Although I stopped going my son continued for a further month before he asked, no told me, that he didn't want to attend any more. He now is under the same impression that I am, although I will say that I tried my absolute hardest not to let him hear my views on this matter.

PacMan

13. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 04:05
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    At least athiests live their life, I wouldn't want to waste mine preparing for the next life if there wasn't one...
    A theist would respond: I wouldn't want to neglect the teachings of the xxx (bible/koran/penthouse) if there was merit to the teachings.

Neither response has debating merit, since they are the same argument.
  14. Cosmos
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 07:13
    On the contrary!

Most atheists have grown up with religious beliefs all around them, and have learned to reject the spoon fed nonsense.
    Thus they have learnt the skill of analytical reasoning and have independent thought.

God Botherers have simply swallowed the spoonfed bull and are unthinking sheep believing everything written in their book of lies (bible, Koran, etc).

Think for a moment all you religious ones:
    If you were born in Iran, you would be a Muslim; Israel, a Jew; India a hinhu or buddhist;etc.

Does this bother you?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Jul '05 13:29
    I know I don't know "what it's all about". But I seriously doubt that you do either. And that, dear Buckky, is the whole point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree