1. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 May '09 22:49
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    the best word would be infinite.

that is, it is possible that there are an infinite number of what we might call dimensions, an infinite number of universes, infinite time.

another way, perhaps, to say: we don't know

why bother with questions for which there can be no answer or explanation that we can comprehend?

why not bother with questions ...[text shortened]... to be the case in the here and now -- we aren't doing very well, on the whole, with that task
    is it not interesting, the God himself is described as being eternal, infinite, and in another dimension?
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    02 May '09 23:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is it not interesting, the God himself is described as being eternal, infinite, and in another dimension?
    no, it is not interesting, it is plebian, banal, mundane, neolithic to slap a word onto what we do not and cannot know just so we can use that word as a kind of stone-age cudgel to exert power over others.

each time someone says to me that this word of theirs corresponds to something all powerful and eternal they are trying to exert dominion over me against my will.

and I won't have it.

not until the day a consciousness beyond human reaches out and speaks to me directly. I will accept no one as spokesman or witness.

If I choose to believe in the possibility of such a consciousness, that is my business and mine alone -- and I would very much prefer all others keep the same thing to themselves, as well.

Believe what you want, but do not imagine I do not understand what words mean and how they are used to achieve certain ends.

I've not spent my professional life in that pursuit for naught.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '09 00:30
    no, it is not interesting, it is plebian, banal, mundane, neolithic to slap a word onto what we do not and cannot know just so we can use that word as a kind of stone-age cudgel to exert power over others.

each time someone says to me that this word of theirs corresponds to something all powerful and eternal they are trying to exert dominion over me agai ...[text shortened]... ed to achieve certain ends.

I've not spent my professional life in that pursuit for naught.
    Lol, i knew i would, pardon the pun, solicit such a response! why you insist on any references to God as being neolithic i do not understand, for many of the most beautiful and enduring aspects of western civilization are the direct result of theism, infact, much of western literature, art and music found its direct influence from the sacred pronouncements and a deep rooted spirituality, even further than that, with the demise of spirituality, as in the west, it is apparent that it comes with a price, an empty facade of materialistic nothingness and moral anarchy, and that's just in the churches!

no one is trying to assert dominion over you, except in your own mind, why should you have a monopoly on self expression, or are the very tenets of your ideology so restrictive that its only your opinion that matters? such a stance is hypocritical, for while you are insisting on your rights of privacy in this matter, which is after all your right, do not others also have the right to express themselves through their window of perception? if you do not like it get black out curtains, or tainted windows or we can talk about chess instead!
  4. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    03 May '09 04:47
    Lol, i knew i would, pardon the pun, solicit such a response! why you insist on any references to God as being neolithic i do not understand, for many of the most beautiful and enduring aspects of western civilization are the direct result of theism, infact, much of western literature, art and music found its direct influence from the sacred pronoun ...[text shortened]... u do not like it get black out curtains, or tainted windows or we can talk about chess instead!
    I find organized religion the source of more harm than good. I do not find irrationality used for political and social control and the perpetuation of ignorance productive of beauty. I do not accept the premises on which organized religions are based, so I find within the contexts where those premises are used a tissue of lies meant to obscure the search each of us must undertake to achieve self awareness.

Organized religion is in the business of making slaves of the minds of its followers.

The greatest threat today to the security of the world and the continued existence of the human race and the ecosystem in which we live is not climate change -- unless by that you mean nuclear winter. The greatest threat is true belief, which may result soon in the use of nuclear weapons of mass destruction in the service of one group of true believers against another.

I am disgusted by the perversion of language perpetrated in the service of religion,for it is in and of itself an attempt to short circuit the mind's search for self awareness.

That you do not question, do not recognize, and blindly accept what you believe is evidence, as far as I'm concerned, of a serious mental disorder. It is all too common. It is brought about by fear; it is the response to existential angst, and it is the wrong response to succeed in the most signal achievement of one's life, knowing one's self. The true believer merely parrots what he is told to believe -- insists it is the truth, and is afraid to stray onto paths that require one to think for one's self.

The alternative is not mere materialism. That is a fallacious argument -- presents a false choice, a red herring, a strawman, and a slippery slope.

The true believer simply wants to be warm, comfortable, and secure without doing any work of his own. In my view, true believers are no higher on the intellectual scale than my 10-yr old dog. They know what they know, and are content to eat, crap and sleep in comfort. Do not challenge them, for they get fractious and start throwing bombs or burning books, or people at the stake.

With respect to western civilization, to which you refer, I would only cite what Gandhi said of it: he said it would be a good idea.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 07:43
    in my case, it is more like pizza
    😵
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 07:49
    yes i understand this Scriabin, but i think at least that the consensus of opinion is towards a beginning. btw, what do they say existed before the universe, unlimited energy? primordial chaos, something without a beginning that extended back eternally? something eternal? 😉
    I cannot offer a better view than this: it existed the way all the countless non-played games of chess exist. Collapsing the wavefunction is a bitch😵
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 07:51
    the best word would be infinite.

that is, it is possible that there are an infinite number of what we might call dimensions, an infinite number of universes, infinite time.

another way, perhaps, to say: we don't know

why bother with questions for which there can be no answer or explanation that we can comprehend?

why not bother with questions ...[text shortened]... to be the case in the here and now -- we aren't doing very well, on the whole, with that task
    Dzogchen😵
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 07:52
    nope
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 08:01
    Oh my trusty feer Rabbie,
    It's very common to use our mind by means of giving a shape to our ignorance; and it's common to use this shape of ignorance as a string of "fact"; and it's common to use this kind of "facts" in order to gain power over the people; and by the way it's common to claim, based on these "facts", that our "Absolute Truth" -the so called word of god, which is backed up from the pseudoscience of Theology- is a quite rational philosophy😵
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 08:04
    Lol, i knew i would, pardon the pun, solicit such a response! why you insist on any references to God as being neolithic i do not understand, for many of the most beautiful and enduring aspects of western civilization are the direct result of theism, infact, much of western literature, art and music found its direct influence from the sacred pronoun ...[text shortened]... u do not like it get black out curtains, or tainted windows or we can talk about chess instead!
    We could talk about some interesting aspects of Dynamism over Scheveningen😵😀😵
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '09 09:19
    I find organized religion the source of more harm than good. I do not find irrationality used for political and social control and the perpetuation of ignorance productive of beauty. I do not accept the premises on which organized religions are based, so I find within the contexts where those premises are used a tissue of lies meant to obscure the search e ...[text shortened]... hich you refer, I would only cite what Gandhi said of it: he said it would be a good idea.
    'Organized religion is in the business of making slaves of the minds of its followers', now where have i heard that before, mmmmm, wasn't it that German dude Marx who neglected his family as he wrote his treatise up in the library, yes, one form of slavery for another, who can disagree!

I have already offered you my theory on why atrocities are perpetrated, the suppression of the natural exercise of the human conscience, thus the true believer, if he follows the correct path, will never succumb to this form of slavery (suppression of conscience), for his conscience will act even as a compass does, and rather than being a slave to the dictates of dogma, scientific, religious, political, ideological or otherwise, he will have at his disposal, a mechanism for ensuring absolute freedom, based on his own understanding, knowledge and experience, his conscience! therefore perhaps you have more in common with this miserable theist than you realized, oh great and illustrious one!

perhaps i could also offer a Ghandi quote, 'I love Christ, but I despise Christians because they do not live as Christ lived.'
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '09 09:20
    Originally posted by black beetle
    nope
    Yes it is Beetle, its fascinating! 😉
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '09 09:22
    Oh my trusty feer Rabbie,
    It's very common to use our mind by means of giving a shape to our ignorance; and it's common to use this shape of ignorance as a string of "fact"; and it's common to use this kind of "facts" in order to gain power over the people; and by the way it's common to claim, based on these "facts", that our "Absolute Truth" -the so c ...[text shortened]... ch is backed up from the pseudoscience of Theology- is a quite rational philosophy😵
    see my noteworthy and widely acclaimed theory on the exercise of the human conscience! a truly wise and trusted mechanism for avoiding slavery and ignorance😵
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 May '09 09:281 edit
    We could talk about some interesting aspects of Dynamism over Scheveningen😵😀😵
    We could talk about some interesting aspects of Dynamism over Scheveningen! YES! we could dispense with it altogether and play the hyper accelerated dragon 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 g6!!, 3. d4 Bg7!!

suffering succotash, the noble Barrister Scriabin is playing a most excellent game, i have dangled worms before him but so far he has not bitten! that old fish is certainly more wiley than the great Wile E Cayote himself! meep! meep! 😉
  15. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    03 May '09 09:39
    We could talk about some interesting aspects of Dynamism over Scheveningen! YES! we could dispense with it altogether and play the hyper accelerated dragon 1.e4 c5, 2.Nf3 g6!!, 3. d4 Bg7!!

suffering succotash, the noble Barrister Scriabin is playing a most excellent game, i have dangled worms before him but so far he has not bitten! that old fish is certainly more wiley than the great Wile E Cayote himself! meep! meep! 😉
    Nope, you go talk about that hyperNessie wi them woosies ~!TONY!~ et al that they are rioting against puir PAWN RIOT at that drawish game initiated by the American friend of ours, for this miserable atheist black beetle wi the Void of the formation ...0-0, ...e6/ d6, ...Be7, ...Bd7 and his Horsies at f6 and c6 or a6 will remain😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree