1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 May '14 16:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    You said "Most people say there is no God." This is false.
    Yep! I said that, and I think that is false. Maybe I was tired and was thinking about something else when I said it. I'm capable of that. Being wrong I mean. It doesn't bother me too much not being as good as others. I don't hold that against anyone.

Not going to win any arguments here anyway. I enjoy the exchanges though. I owe to those I disagree with that I know and understand more than I did before I engaged in the debate. I win even when I lose. 🙂
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 May '14 17:171 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Wikipedia is a place, not a reliable source of truth about God or His Word.
    Wikipedia isn't a place, its a website. And it wasn't being used as a reference for the truth about God or His Word. It was being used as a reference for what scholarly opinion on the matter might be. And even then, I am always happy for people to challenge Wikipedia or any other reference, if they can provide alternative references. However it seems you don't actually know anything about what scholarly opinion is on the matter, you just don't like what Wikipedia had to say regardless of how true it might be.

Any so-called scholarly opinion that contradicts the truth of God's Word is a lie.
    I think you are confused about the meanings of the words 'opinion' and 'lie'.

And yes, for fun I think of negative things to say about things I disagree with. 🙄
    Yes, I guessed as much. That is almost the only accurate statement you have made this whole thread.

The problem with such an attitude is we can't really have much of a conversation.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 May '14 06:26
    Originally posted by josephw
    Yep! I said that, and I think that is false. Maybe I was tired and was thinking about something else when I said it. I'm capable of that. Being wrong I mean. It doesn't bother me too much not being as good as others. I don't hold that against anyone.

Not going to win any arguments here anyway. I enjoy the exchanges though. I owe to those I disagree with t ...[text shortened]... I know and understand more than I did before I engaged in the debate. I win even when I lose. 🙂
    What matters is that if it is true, then we have a bunch of fools on our hands.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 May '14 06:371 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why is that unlikely? Surely if all the writing was coming from God anyway, then there would be no difficulties with him recording his own death. If the writing did not come from God, then how would the writers have known about the many things recorded in the books that they could not possibly have known without assistance from God?
    It seems to me that you are being inconsistent.
    Well, you are wrong again. I am not being inconsistant. I was just making a statement about what all biblical scholars believe. God inspired men to write the holy scriptures. Why must you believe the King of the Universe had to write everything down Himself? Even human kings don't do that.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 May '14 15:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wikipedia isn't a place, its a website. And it wasn't being used as a reference for the truth about God or His Word. It was being used as a reference for what scholarly opinion on the matter might be. And even then, I am always happy for people to challenge Wikipedia or any other reference, if they can provide alternative references. However it seems you ...[text shortened]... ole thread.

The problem with such an attitude is we can't really have much of a conversation.
    "Wikipedia isn't a place, its a website."

And a website has an address. Places have addresses. Therefore Wikipedia is a place.

"I think you are confused about the meanings of the words 'opinion' and 'lie'."

No. You are. Sometimes they are the same thing.

"Yes, I guessed as much. That is almost the only accurate statement you have made this whole thread."

I was joking, but look at what you just said. Are you being negative?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '14 18:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, you are wrong again. I am not being inconsistant. I was just making a statement about what all biblical scholars believe. God inspired men to write the holy scriptures. Why must you believe the King of the Universe had to write everything down Himself? Even human kings don't do that.
    So, you don't believe that the Word of God is literally God's actual Word, but you do believe that all of creation was accomplished in 6 24-hour days (even though it never says that)?

Picking and choosing?

ALL Biblical scholars agree with you? That's news to me.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 May '14 18:03
    What matters is that if it is true, then we have a bunch of fools on our hands.
    Or just a few.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 May '14 21:36
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So, you don't believe that the Word of God is literally God's actual Word, but you do believe that all of creation was accomplished in 6 24-hour days (even though it never says that)?

Picking and choosing?

ALL Biblical scholars agree with you? That's news to me.
    Strawman arguments suzianne.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 May '14 22:20
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Tradition says that the Pentateuch are all written by Moses. Wikipedia says in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentateuch :

”Today most academic scholars say that the Torah has multiple authors, and that its composition took place over centuries.”

What is right and what is wrong? Did Moses really write Genesis through Deuteronomy?
    "Pentateuch" refers to the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

"The evidence within the Pentateuch points to Mosaic authorship, since it clearly portrays Moses as the author of certain portions. “And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD” (Exodus 24:4, KJV). “And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people” (Exodus 24:7, KJV). “And the Lord said to Moses, ‘Write these words; in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel’” (Exodus 34:27, RSV).

To these references many others could be added. Not only does the internal evidence of the Scriptures make it clear that Moses wrote the Pentateuch, but other Old Testament books make Mosaic authorship clear. Joshua 8:32 (KJV) refers to “the law of Moses, which he wrote.” Additional Old Testament references include I Kings 2:3, II Kings 14:6, and Joshua 23:6, which attribute to Moses the authorship of the Pentateuch."

http://www.josh.org/resources/study-research/answers-to-skeptics-questions/did-moses-write-the-first-five-books/
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 May '14 01:19
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Pentateuch" refers to the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.

"The evidence within the Pentateuch points to Mosaic authorship, since it clearly portrays Moses as the author of certain portions. “And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD” (Exodus 24:4, KJV). “And he took the book of the covenant, and r ...[text shortened]... org/resources/study-research/answers-to-skeptics-questions/did-moses-write-the-first-five-books/
    However, I believe that Joshua closed the book of Deuteronomy after Moses died by writing the last part of it.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 03:04
    However, I believe that Joshua closed the book of Deuteronomy after Moses died by writing the last part of it.
    The site text of the quote includes similar reference to Joshua.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 May '14 03:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    The site text of the quote includes similar reference to Joshua.
    Yes, now I see the following on another page of that website:

Since no one can write an account of his own death, they argue, doesn’t this mean the Book of Deuteronomy had to have been written later than the time of Moses?

Probably some orthodox Christians and Jews would attempt to argue that all of chapter 34 in Deuteronomy was written by Moses, although it is possible that the chapter was prophetic. A more plausible explanation is to assume that it was written after the death of Moses, by Joshua. This does not force one to attribute the rest of Deuteronomy to someone besides Moses.

It is quite common that an obituary is placed at the end of a final work by a great author. It would be amazing if the death of Moses weren’t recorded, seeing that his entire life otherwise had been told in great detail. The appearance of the account of Moses’ death in no way affects his authorship of the preceding 33 chapters.

http://www.josh.org/resources/study-research/answers-to-skeptics-questions/how-could-moses-have-written-the-book-of-deuteronomy-when-it-contains-the-account-of-his-death/
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '14 03:49
    Yes, now I see the following on another page of that website:

Since no one can write an account of his own death, they argue, doesn’t this mean the Book of Deuteronomy had to have been written later than the time of Moses?

Probably some orthodox Christians and Jews would attempt to argue that all of chapter 34 in Deuteronomy was written by Moses, alth ...[text shortened]... /how-could-moses-have-written-the-book-of-deuteronomy-when-it-contains-the-account-of-his-death/
    Seemed to be an in depth and objective coverage of the topic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree