1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 03:56
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I mean the guy was praying for God to give him strength to resist the temptation of "lying with another man".
    Oh my God, I'll have to listen to it now. That's just too much. I'll be back with my review soon.
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 04:051 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Oh my God, I'll have to listen to it now. That's just too much. I'll be back with my review soon.
    Well, I'll be honest, that was one of the more entertaining bits of Christian pop that I've heard. It was actually sung with real feeling; you can tell he really means it as the vocal part resolves into the chorus. The lyrics were somewhat clever. The pentatonic rock guitar solo was a little out of place. Overall, I'd rather listen to that one again than RBHILL's recommendation.

I hope God answers his prayers, because it sure looks like the Devil is winning that battle.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 04:09
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Hymns are not the problem. It is doubtful that these two knuckleheads have ever heard Ein Fest Berg (A Mighty Fortress) played on an organ with 12,000 pipe and a highly trained choir singing. Perhaps I'm a snob, but there is a real majesty and reverence to that.
    Right with you there Reverend.
    I'm an atheist of course, but I enjoy a good hymn (don't mind a few hers either.)
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 06:50
    Okay, here's the question.

Does being a Christian dull people's sense of taste, about what is good or bad?

OR

Do people who choose to follow Jebus have bad taste a priori, in which case, how can we trust their judgement in religious matters?
    People tend to over look the flaws in something if they really want to see the good.(what they perceive as good).
    Thus Christians will say lots of good things about their pastors/priests/leaders and totally ignore the bad bits.
    The same however applies with political parties / pop group fans etc etc. It is normal human behavior.
    Many Christians believe everything in the Bible or anything their pastor says for similar reasons.
    I doubt if they lack taste, I think they simply choose to pretend that something is better than it really is.

Another aspect is conditioning. If we listen to a really good song from the 80s we will in most cases not like it nearly as much as we did then. If you look at a hot car from the 80s you will probably say 'what junk'. So if Christians are not 'in the loop' and don't listen to modern pop or
    watch tv etc then they probably end up with different tastes than the rest of us.
  5. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 15:49
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Oh, come on, when it comes to christian rock, this really wasn't so bad.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ayrGuo4M8

The chorus line: "god hates a fag".

Yep......
    Unbelievable! Please take another Christian's word, that God does not hate a homosexual!

How ironic is it that this video came from loveGodsway.com!

🙁
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 20:58
    Originally posted by jebry
    Unbelievable! Please take another Christian's word, that God does not hate a homosexual!

How ironic is it that this video came from loveGodsway.com!

🙁
    Yes, you Christians really can't get your act together, can you?

And as for anyone thinking that is right, or good. Well, How could anyone ever trust such a person?!
  7. Joined
    07 Jul '04
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 22:131 edit
    Yes, you Christians really can't get your act together, can you?

And as for anyone thinking that is right, or good. Well, How could anyone ever trust such a person?!
    Well, thanks for the comment, but it is hardly constructive nor even true as applied to Christians as a whole.

Certainly there are some Christians that can't be trusted and/or can't get their act together, but we definitely have not cornered the market on either.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 22:14
    Originally posted by jebry
    Well, thanks for the comment, but it is hardly constructive nor even true as applied to Christians as a whole.

Certainly there are some Christians that can't be trusted and/or can't get their act together, but we definitely have not cornered the market on either.
    That's true, but, well, spend some more time on these forums and you'll see the reasons for my pessimism.
  9. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 22:15
    As for Chirstian music, you guys should read this article. I think Louis would espcially appreciate it.

http://www.weeklydig.com/music/articles/zero_tolerance_for_christ
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 22:44
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    As for Chirstian music, you guys should read this article. I think Louis would espcially appreciate it.

http://www.weeklydig.com/music/articles/zero_tolerance_for_christ
    hehehe!

That had me giggling like a schoolgirl all the way through! I never knew that moisen bint Amy Lee was a God botherer though. Ah well, just goes to show you never can tell.....
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 22:44
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I'm liking the new look by btw Doc!
  12. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 23:12
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVsF4W8V2Y

I have always loved this worship song. The music video even makes it better. The best part is 3:30 into it, to 3:40.

--------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's the question.

Does being a Christian dull people's sense of taste, about wh ...[text shortened]... d taste a priori, in which case, how can we trust their judgement in religious matters?
    Did being Christian dull Bach's sense of musical taste?
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 23:15
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Did being Christian dull Bach's sense of musical taste?
    Aren't outliers fascinating?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 00:07
    Originally posted by amannion
    Yes I know that's your belief.
    But its the sense of god being a part of you, being in you that I'm thinking about here. My question is probably really a rhetorical one - could this feeling be a part of ourselves rather than some sort of external manifestation?
    I think its ourselves. I think we generate these feelings and through fear or confusion or simplicity or whatever we rationalise them as something external to us - a god.
    I hear what you're saying. It goes both ways. Some people think they know God, but they don't. Others have had a genuine experience.
    I know this is an unsatisfactory answer, but it is the best I can do here in this forum without getting biblically technical.

I'll say this. If God is real then he defines the terms. God defines himself. God reveals himself. We cannot conjure up God. God comes to us, and we respond, one way or the other.

Rationalising a relationship with God is just what religion is all about. People have all kinds of delusions about God. They erect all manner of icons to make themselves feel good. All there is today is nature, mans works, and the word of God. At one time God used Isreal and commanded they build a temple and fill it with those things that were types of things that reflected spiritual truths. God is doing something different today. This time is called the "dispensation of the age of grace".
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 00:24
    Originally posted by josephw
    I hear what you're saying. It goes both ways. Some people think they know God, but they don't. Others have had a genuine experience.
    I know this is an unsatisfactory answer, but it is the best I can do here in this forum without getting biblically technical.

I'll say this. If God is real then he defines the terms. God defines himself. God reveals himsel ...[text shortened]... oing something different today. This time is called the "dispensation of the age of grace".
    Yeah, I take your point.
    I'm not so sure about the notion of a 'genuine experience' though. What is that? How do you know if you've had a genuine experience? It feels real and genuine to you - is that enough to call it genuine?
    My understanding of recent brain experiments is that religious-like experiences can be indced through stimulation of particular regions of the brain.
    Could this be the case with any such experience? Obviously I think it could, you probably won't.
    I'm not denying such 'genuine experiences' are real - especially to the person having them - but it's in the explanation for that experience that I differ from you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree