1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 00:09
    If the reality of God became obvious to all somehow, would you former God disbelievers be pleased with the new news or dissapointed that you had it wrong ? Sometimes I get the impression the no God people want there to be no God, and would be very depressed if it turned out that they were wrong.
    Same could be said for the True believers that question nothing. If Jesus was to appear in the sky and say "you Christians have messed my whole story up" They would think it was a trick of the Devil, and not want to believe they could of been wrong with their belief.
    My thought is to be open to new Revelation, and not block out the possibility you could be way off on all you believe.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 00:40
    Originally posted by buckky
    If the reality of God became obvious to all somehow, would you former God disbelievers be pleased with the new news or dissapointed that you had it wrong ? Sometimes I get the impression the no God people want there to be no God, and would be very depressed if it turned out that they were wrong.
    Same could be said for the True believers that question nothi ...[text shortened]... to new Revelation, and not block out the possibility you could be way off on all you believe.
    Thats why we got to get the linguistics straight here.
    The "sciency" guys on here have a much better hold on what words actually mean.
    I've raised the point before that there is really not much agreement on what words like "god" or "spirit" or "soul" mean. They all mean something otherwise we wouldn't have the words. Whether that "something" is really real seems to be another problem that is not going to be resolved overnight.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 18:36
    Same could be said for the True believers that question nothi ...[text shortened]... to new Revelation, and not block out the possibility you could be way off on all you believe.
    Obviously I can only speak for myself, but I'd be stoked if I could manage to convince myself that there really was a god and that some part of my existence would survive my demise. Although I'm not really a disbeliever as such - non-believer would be nearer the mark for my position.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 18:43
    I think whether or not I would be pleased, would depend on what type of God it was, and what the implications were for me.
    If I could spend and eternity in heaven (as in a pleasurable place to be) then I would be pleased. But first I would want a rational explanation for how I could end up in heaven and still be me (I have yet to get an explanation from a Christian).

I certainly don't actively want there to be no God. I would want a good God/gods to exist and want bad gods to not exist. I simply don't believe either type exists.
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 19:273 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think whether or not I would be pleased, would depend on what type of God it was, and what the implications were for me.
    If I could spend and eternity in heaven (as in a pleasurable place to be) then I would be pleased. But first I would want a rational explanation for how I could end up in heaven and still be me (I have yet to get an explanation from d God/gods to exist and want bad gods to not exist. I simply don't believe either type exists.
    ====================================
    If I could spend and eternity in heaven (as in a pleasurable place to be) then I would be pleased. But first I would want a rational explanation for how I could end up in heaven and still be me (I have yet to get an explanation from a Christian).
    =======================================

If the type of God is a serious consideration, then you should probably rid yourself of misconceptions about God's type.

Immediately below your concern for the "type" of God considered you write something that suggest the God of the Bible wants you to be taken to happy place called Heaven to live forever.

But can you find any confirmation that God is that type ?

If I searched the Bible for telltale phrases like:

"Forever in Heaven"

"Live in Heaven forever"

"Go to Heaven forever"

"Stay in Heaven for eternity"

"Forever in Heaven"

"Live in Heaven from now on"

"Never leave Heaven"

I don't find such a concept as a careful student of God's "type" in the Bible.

I do see some phrases about "the kingdom of God" or "the kingdom of the heavens". But a proper understanding of them suggests strongly, living in a kingdom or administration whose SOURCE or ORIGIN is heaven. That's different. And that also suggests God is not the type to decide the earth is of no more use, and all His people need to be forever in another happy place.

The destination of God's salvation is not so much a place but a union with a Person. It is to be conformed into the image of His Firstborn Son, Jesus Christ.

The type of God, God in the Bible is, is a God whose purpose is to transform you to be like His Son Jesus Christ.

Rather than going to a place, it is more being conformed and transformed into a kind of person.

For what it is worth to you, maybe some more accurate understanding of God's type might enfluence your attitude towards Him. Then again, maybe it wouldn't.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 20:36
    With the creation of the hubble telescope and the electron microscope, the reality of God is undeniable, because we can all now appreciate the complexity of RNA and DNA and more, and we can wonder at the beautifull and amazing cosmos.

People are covered by illusion and think the purpose of life is the pursuit of sense pleasure, and they do not want anything to disturb their materialistic endeavours.

This is why we have atheism, because many are not sincere to pursue the spiritual life, and we have billions flocking to false religion, because it offers a cheap ticket to heaven without doing what must be required.

What must be required is a complete turn around of the way people live their lives, and how people think, and no one wants this, so they remain atheist or stay in their cheap religion.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 20:57
    Originally posted by vishvahetu
    With the creation of the hubble telescope and the electron microscope, the reality of God is undeniable, because we can all now appreciate the complexity of RNA and DNA and more, and we can wonder at the beautifull and amazing cosmos.

People are covered by illusion and think the purpose of life is the pursuit of sense pleasure, and they do not want any ...[text shortened]... how people think, and no one wants this, so they remain atheist or stay in their cheap religion.
    I agree with you about "inner" and "outer" space, both amazing constructs.

Not sure about (a lack of) sincerity being linked with atheism though. Some of the most sincere people I know are atheists.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:04
    I'd have mixed feelings. First, sheer Lovecraftian terror that this monster that decides who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell and smites people on Earth really exists. Second, the terror of Hell. Third, the hope of Heaven. Fourth, the irritation that Big Brother in the Sky really exists and I need to live my life with his infinite eyeballs on me, judging me, all the time. Fifth, resignation to my new fate as a believer.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:551 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'd have mixed feelings. First, sheer Lovecraftian terror that this monster that decides who goes to Heaven and who goes to Hell and smites people on Earth really exists. Second, the terror of Hell. Third, the hope of Heaven. Fourth, the irritation that Big Brother in the Sky really exists and I need to live my life with his infinite eyeballs on me, judging me, all the time. Fifth, resignation to my new fate as a believer.
    ========================================
    ==========================================

That is ironic that you view God as a tyrant Big Brother.

Judging from the way you are copying Christopher Hitchens in this post, it would seem that your detailed thinking and speaking orders are coming from that Big Brother, down to every thought being an imitation.
  10. Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 23:24
    I don't want to live in a world where gods are possible, so I would reject the notion that the god was actually being demonstrated to exist.
    In a sense, I would do what believers already do - reject the obvious in favour of some sort of consolation.
  11. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 23:40
    Generally, I'd be pleased if there was a God but I think how pleased I was would depend on which interpretation of 'God' it was that was real. There are a few religions that I would be quite happy to adopt but others that fill me with trepidation.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 19:00
    Originally posted by vishvahetu

People are covered by illusion and think the purpose of life is the pursuit of sense pleasure, and they do not want any ...[text shortened]... how people think, and no one wants this, so they remain atheist or stay in their cheap religion.
    With the creation of the hubble telescope and the electron microscope, the reality of God is undeniable
    Evidently wrong. Dishonestly so.

People are covered by illusion and think the purpose of life is the pursuit of sense pleasure, and they do not want anything to disturb their materialistic endeavours.
    Which people? Your friends? People you've seen on TV? What does 'covered by illusion' mean anyway?

This is why we have atheism, because many are not sincere to pursue the spiritual life, and we have billions flocking to false religion, because it offers a cheap ticket to heaven without doing what must be required.
    Quite apart from the childishly simplistic nature of this reasoning, it is painfully obviously not true. People reject religion for many reasons. Your incessant proselytising has undoubtedly made a contribution.

Moreover, the thread title is 'Be Honest' - give it a try, why don't you?