1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 09:48
    Originally posted by roigam
    If you are a Christian and believe in the Bible, Acts 15:20, 29 states very clearly God's viewpoint on the subject of blood.
    No it does not.

It simply records the decision and advice of the elders and church leaders at that time.
  2. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 10:00
    The JW teaching on blood is based on a contorted exegesis of a single verse, which itself was just a decision reached by the elders at that time. It is very similar to the RC teaching on birth control.

The verses: "be fruitful and multiply" was definitely applicably to ancient man, but is hardly good advice to 21st century mankind. So situations change, and so do rules.

As for disfellowshipping, I have personally seen some very very sad cases where parents would cross the street so as to avoid their "errant" children. Apart from the JW, certain groups such as the Plymouth Brethren (aka Closed Brethren) and the Latter Rain people also do this. The teaching is based on the advice of Paul when he said: "If I were to tell you to distance yourself from unbelievers, you would have to leave the world! However, of anybody is a heretic, or has fallen away from your group, with such a one you shouldn't even eat".

This advice from Paul, when taken literally, goes entirely against the grain of all of Christ's teachings, and was intended to maintain doctrinal purity.

Whenever this teaching rears its head, it is the clearest indicator that the group is an exclusive sect, which, by its very nature, denies the Good News that we are all acceptable to God.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 11:15
    Originally posted by CalJust
    The JW teaching on blood is based on a contorted exegesis of a single verse, which itself was just a decision reached by the elders at that time.
    It's not even really a single verse. The purported justification relies on taking part of a verse out of its context. It relies on an incomplete sentence.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 11:23
    Originally posted by CalJust
    The JW teaching on blood is based on a contorted exegesis of a single verse, which itself was just a decision reached by the elders at that time. It is very similar to the RC teaching on birth control.

The verses: "be fruitful and multiply" was definitely applicably to ancient man, but is hardly good advice to 21st century mankind. So situations change, a ...[text shortened]... clusive sect, which, by its very nature, denies the Good News that we are all acceptable to God.
    I have a growing suspicion that riogam is a closet Jehovah's Witness. I have confronted hi on this more than once but he/she seems disinclined to respond.
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 18:58
    Originally posted by divegeester
    In another thread I asked you if you were a Jehovah's Witness but you didn't reply. Are you, or have you ever been?
    Yes, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 19:11
    I have a growing suspicion that riogam is a closet Jehovah's Witness. I have confronted hi on this more than once but he/she seems disinclined to respond.
    As far as blood is concerned, that command to not take blood (animal or human) goes back to the time of the flood if you believe the Bible. See Genesis 9:3,4. We are all under that command.
    Just as a side thought, Jehovah gave the life blood of His own son Jesus Christ to buy back mankind from sin and death.
    Blood has special significance to our heavenly Father.
    Possibly the one command to not take blood replaced the one command to not eat of the tree that God gave to Adam and Eve that they failed to obey.
    Just some things to think about.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 19:20
    As far as blood is concerned, that command to not take blood (animal or human) goes back to the time of the flood if you believe the Bible. See Genesis 9:3,4. We are all under that command.
    Just as a side thought, Jehovah gave the life blood of His own son Jesus Christ to buy back mankind from sin and death.
    Blood has special significance to our heavenly Fa ...[text shortened]... e tree that God gave to Adam and Eve that they failed to obey.
    Just some things to think about.
    What do you think of your organisations treatment of beauroberts?
  8. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 20:17
    I must say that leading up my baptism, having fellowship with the JW's was very pleasant. I truly enjoyed being out in the ministry and I enjoyed the fellowship. I also enjoyed posting in the forum and trying to answer questions the best I could all without copying and pasting the same old answers. I understood that in order to reach people we must first treat them like people and not like robots.

I always wanted to be a powerful beacon for Christ and for Jehovah God. That's all I wanted. I enjoyed sharing peoples stories and giving some of my own and reaching commonalities. I thought that receiving blood would only help to strengthen this earthly body and help make me strong again so as to continue the work of bringing the truth to as many people as possible.

I explained my point of view to the brothers who (in fairness) cautioned me against receiving blood. I chose to receive it anyway and was thus disfellowshipped. I am still technically welcome to go to the meetings but I am supposed to sit by myself in the back.

I feel very hurt by this as I thought I was part of the body of Christ as the church is described numerous times. I was welcomed with open arms and then quickly ostracized. Is disfellowshipping necessary...I believe that it is. Christ said (and forgive me I don't have the verses in front of me) if there is a splinter in your eye you must pluck it out, if your arm is infected you must cut it off. Sometimes it is necessary to prune off the dead wood in order for the entire tree to grow healthy and survive.

I don't agree with why my wife and I was disfellowshipped. I don't think we were dead wood as we were both very active in the field work. I don't think we were bringing the governing body down, in fact my wife is an environmental lawyer and I am a college professor so if anything we helped end the stigma that religion is not for academics all while raising the average education level of the congregation. (Education is also not encouraged amongst JW's as it is considered to be an Earthly pursuit. Time should be better spent on other endeavors..."Seek ye first the kingdom of God...again something I did not whole heartedly believe in.)

Beau
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 21:171 edit
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    I must say that leading up my baptism, having fellowship with the JW's was very pleasant. I truly enjoyed being out in the ministry and I enjoyed the fellowship. I also enjoyed posting in the forum and trying to answer questions the best I could all without copying and pasting the same old answers. I understood that in order to reach people we must first ...[text shortened]... eek ye first the kingdom of God...again something I did not whole heartedly believe in.)

Beau
    The problem with corporate religion and especially the culist ones such as the Jehovah's Witnesses, is that the leadership will frequently abuse their position to assert control over the laity. You have been treated abysmally but you are not alone on this treatment. You say you want to serve god and can, perfectly well outside the JW corporation. I would encourage you to seek God for yourself and perhaps try to find a mainstream Christian church you feel comfortable in. You do not have to be a member of the Jehovah's Witness church to be saved, serve god or fellowship with gods people.

How long have you been a member if the JWs?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '14 23:57
    There's nothing about life saving blood transfusions for humans at Genesis 9:3,4.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 00:00
    Blood has special significance to our heavenly Father.
    This is surely a point to be made in favour of saving lives with blood transfusions rather than a point in favour of banning it.
  12. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 00:24
    The problem with corporate religion and especially the culist ones such as the Jehovah's Witnesses, is that the leadership will frequently abuse their position to assert control over the laity. You have been treated abysmally but you are not alone on this treatment. You say you want to serve god and can, perfectly well outside the JW corporation. I wou ...[text shortened]... saved, serve god or fellowship with gods people.

How long have you been a member if the JWs?
    My search for truth especially as an academic has led to the study and research of many religions and faiths. Because my goal was to bring glory to my creator I thought the best way to do so was to have an open mind and to listen to what others have to say before making up my own mind.

There were many things that I found truth in with the jw's...love kindness hospitality and the like and i am sure this can be found in most other places as well. But alot of other things I didnt agree with...perhaps that made me a cafeteria witness, call it what you will.

I have been studying religion and spirituality and its origins for 30 years. I have been studying it academically for 15 years. I started to study with the witnesses in 2008 and was baptized in 2011 and disfellowshipped in 2014. So off and on for 6 years or so.

Beau
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 16:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    There's nothing about life saving blood transfusions for humans at Genesis 9:3,4.
    Riogam obviously enjoys pontificating but is reluctant to engage in debate.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 16:37
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    My search for truth especially as an academic has led to the study and research of many religions and faiths. Because my goal was to bring glory to my creator I thought the best way to do so was to have an open mind and to listen to what others have to say before making up my own mind.

There were many things that I found truth in with the jw's...love ...[text shortened]... and was baptized in 2011 and disfellowshipped in 2014. So off and on for 6 years or so.

Beau
    Your membership of the JW religion and their opinion of you is of no consequence other than what you allow.
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    10 Dec '14 19:07
    What do you think of your organisations treatment of beauroberts?
    I have no knowledge of how anyone treated BR.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree