1. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 19:21
    a Supreme Court Justice for the US. Pres. Bush said today that he chose Mier, his latest appointment to the court, because of her religious devotion to Christ.

she's never been a judge, but she has put in time as Bush's personal lawyer and White House crony.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/12/miers.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 19:41
    Originally posted by Darth Sponge
    a Supreme Court Justice for the US. Pres. Bush said today that he chose Mier, his latest appointment to the court, because of her religious devotion to Christ.

she's never been a judge, but she has put in time as Bush's personal lawyer and White House crony.

I think she was also the captain of her bowling team.

P-
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 19:49

It would surprise you if Hitler chose a Jew as his right-hand man?
  4. Meddling with things
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 20:46
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    and your point is?
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 21:03
    Originally posted by aardvarkhome
    and your point is?
    I think dj considerss Bush and Hitler equals in spirit.
  6. Joined
    03 Mar '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '05 21:31
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    in today's world of sophisticated propaganda, no, it wouldn't surprise me.

and I'm not surprised that Bush is appointing a born again Christian. The strategy, i think, is to placate Bush's base supporters. He touts her Christianity as part of the reason he appointed her- then the Senate gets to ask her lots of questions. If the democrats attack her for this, or even ask her how it's relevant, then she becomes a persecuted Christian, and many Christians in the US already believe that their ideas are being persecuted. Many Christians think their rights are being taken away because they can no longer impose their views on others. (for example, prayer in school- you can still pray in school anytime you want, but there is no longer a mandatory, school-wide prayer, and many Christians see this as a withering away of their "rights"😉

I'm not surprised Bush is doing this. it fits right in line with everything else. it just amazes me that he's able to get away with it. i've given up on democracy. only propaganda works. and Bush's propaganda mill is one of the best the world has ever seen.
  7. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 02:001 edit
    in today's world of sophisticated propaganda, no, it wouldn't surprise me.

and I'm not surprised that Bush is appointing a born again Christian. The strategy, i think, is to placate Bush's base supporters. He touts her Christianity as part of the reason he appointed her- then the Senate gets to ask her lots of questions. If the democrats att ...[text shortened]... only propaganda works. and Bush's propaganda mill is one of the best the world has ever seen.
    Bam! Right on the money. Recc'd.

Bush and his cronies are amazing aren't they? No, I shouldn't pick on Bush. ALL politicians are just like him, they're just not as brazen.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 03:23
    It was interesting to me that Miers was suggested to Bush by the Democratic Senator, Harry Reid.

What convinced Bush to nominate her in particular is probably between him and Karl Rove. (The Rev. James Dobson claims to know more than he should, and there has been talk of a subpoena.)
    Right-wing columnist Max Boot called her an "empty blouse" in today's L.A. Times.

Presidents have tried to pack courts before - FDR was probably the most successful at it. The question of qualifications comes up frequently. Going back to President Washington's administration, there have been some very, very strange people on that court. (Including the Justice who repeatedly tried to drown himself in the sea.)

There really is only one qualification that is ultimately binding. One must be nominated by the President, with the consent of the U.S. Senate. If I met those qualifications, it could be me on the bench. Or Rev. Al Sharpton. Or Jessica Simpson... legal background be hanged!
  9. Calgary
    Moves
    13 Oct '05 03:27
    Originally posted by Algernon
    It was interesting to me that Miers was suggested to Bush by the Democratic Senator, Harry Reid.

What convinced Bush to nominate her in particular is probably between him and Karl Rove. (The Rev. James Dobson claims to know more than he should, and there has been talk of a subpoena.)
    Right-wing columnist Max Boot called her an "empty blouse" in t ...[text shortened]... ld be me on the bench. Or Rev. Al Sharpton. Or Jessica Simpson... legal background be hanged!
    According to the reports I've heard, that there have many who have never served as a judge, besides what makes judges so qualified?

It seems to me all I have to do is read a newspaper to find idiotic judges.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree