1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 06:551 edit
    Originally posted by Yuga
    [C. S.] Lewis said there are three options:

1. Jesus was telling falsehoods and knew it, and so he was a liar.
    2. Jesus was telling falsehoods but believed he was telling the truth, and so he was insane.
    3. Jesus was telling the truth, and so he was divine. (wikipedia, trilemma)
    This is rubbish.

One is obviously sound, but I don't see that conclusions 2 and 3 are necessarily valid at all. Believing in a lie doesn't make anyone insane. People act on incorrect information all the time. As for number 3, Jesus' words can be interpreted in many ways, viz. the proliferation of sects based on differing interpretations. From traditional Jesus (born of a genuine virgin) to Gnostic / New Age Jesus (your exemplary guide to your very own divine spark), you can find one that works for you.

Of course, Lewis knew all that. A consummate BS artist, that one.

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. Nobody comes to the Father [what's that?] except through me [i.e. the Way, the Truth and the Life*]. So, what is the Way?

*credit for insight: ThinkOfOne
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 07:26
    Originally posted by Yuga
    [C. S.] Lewis said there are three options:

1. Jesus was telling falsehoods and knew it, and so he was a liar.
    2. Jesus was telling falsehoods but believed he was telling the truth, and so he was insane.
    3. Jesus was telling the truth, and so he was divine. (wikipedia, trilemma)
    What about:
    4. Jesus never actually existed.
    5. The writers who wrote about Jesus were liars.
    6. The writers who wrote about Jesus were insane.
    etc etc.

We know that the four Gospels do not all agree on each and every fact. So, by your reasoning, at least one of the Gospel writers was a liar or insane.

Every member of every religion except the one "true" religion whichever that might be, believes they are telling the truth but are infact telling falsehoods. Are you saying that most of the world is insane?
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 00:25
    I have heard people say so many things against christians and the body of christ.
    When the time is right Christ is coming back...he's coming back to take his own with him to heaven...Then all conversies shall be sealed because he will indeed come back in His Glory and everyone will see Him and acknowledge Him.
    Thus, if you have not yet made a decision to live for Jesus, please do now because there's not much time.Whether you like it or you will acknowledge him.
    It's all a matter of when.. if you wait till He comes back it may be too late for you.
    Thus, I advice you to do now...
    Accept Him as your Lord and personal saviour and He will save you from eternal death..

God Loves You!
    John 3: 16
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 00:45
    Originally posted by kayode
    I have heard people say so many things against christians and the body of christ.
    When the time is right Christ is coming back...he's coming back to take his own with him to heaven...Then all conversies shall be sealed because he will indeed come back in His Glory and everyone will see Him and acknowledge Him.
    Thus, if you have not yet made a decision to li ...[text shortened]... and personal saviour and He will save you from eternal death..

God Loves You!
    John 3: 16
    God's going to send you to hell. But he loves you! -George Carlin
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '07 14:58
    We know that the four Gospels do not all agree on each and every fact.

Could you point out to us a significant fact that the gospels do not agree on which severly effects the major tenets of the Christian faith?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree