1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:08
    Doesn't get better than this. A true classic

The next post contains jaywill's challenge.

The following post contains my response

Then comes the classic.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:10
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Question:

If in Luke Jesus began His ministry by proclaiming He was the fulfillment of Isaiah's word about the year of Jubilee, why did they get angry?

He came to set captives free, recover the sight to the blind as the Anointed of God, proclaim the acceptable year of all pardon and release.

Since this should be such good news to everyone, WHY did the occasion end with the audience attempting to execute Jesus by throwing Him off the edge of a cliff ?

"And all in the synagogue were filled with anger when they heard these things, And they rose up and cast Him out of the city and led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city was built so that they might throw Him down the cliff." (Luke 4:28,29)

ThinkOfOne champions Luke 4:14-21 as such a universally positive proclamation. How come then they wanted to KILL Jesus into the same occasion afterwards?

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/god-created-us.178526/page-8
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:11
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    C'mon jaywill. How can you so consistently get things so muddled up? Seriously, learn to read in context. Take a class or something. It'll help you to be able to understand not only other posters in this forum, but scripture as well.

ThinkOfOne champions Luke 4:14-21 as such a universally positive proclamation.

Actually ThinkOfOne was pointing out the fact that in Luke 4:18-19 Jesus declared the purpose for which He was anointed, i.e,, what makes Him the Christ. You believe that the purpose for which He was anointed was very different.

If in Luke Jesus began His ministry by proclaiming He was the fulfillment of Isaiah's word about the year of Jubilee, why did they get angry?...How come then they wanted to KILL Jesus into the same occasion afterwards?

The fact is that they were angered by what Jesus had to say in the intervening verses: (Luke 4:23-27) in response to them calling question to what He had to say (Luke 4:22b). Note that the initial reaction was positive (Luke 22a).

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/god-created-us.178526/page-8
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:13
    C'mon jaywill.

I have started through your response. I'll let you know when you have answered me.

How can you so consistently get things so muddled up?

No answer yet. Staling for time.

Seriously, learn to read in context.

No answer yet. Still staling and evading.

Take a class or something. It'll help you to be able to understand not only other posters in this forum, but scripture as well.

Still not answer. Still cowardly evasion, staling, sidestepping, with phony condescension

Me:
    ThinkOfOne champions Luke 4:14-21 as such a universally positive proclamation.
    ToO
    Actually ThinkOfOne was pointing out the fact that in Luke 4:18-19 Jesus declared the purpose for which He was anointed,

Any answer to the question of why they wanted to KILL Him? No. Red herring instead. - "Actually, ... [some other stuff no pertaining to my question]"

i.e,, what makes Him the Christ.

The question is about why they wanted to kill Him after such an announcement.

I think the answer should be RIGHT THERE in the text.
    Some nerve you have whinning about my reading comprehension.

Maybe ThinkOfOne is close to an answer now.

You believe that the purpose for which He was anointed was very different.

Does he address WHY they wanted to execute Him?
    No.
    A Master Evader.

If in Luke Jesus began His ministry by proclaiming He was the fulfillment of Isaiah's word about the year of Jubilee,

No answer STILL as to why they wanted to throw Him off the edge of the hill.

why did they get angry?...

This looks promising.

Me:
    How come then they wanted to KILL Jesus [in] the same occasion afterwards?

ToO;
    The fact is that they were angered by what Jesus had to say in the intervening verses: (Luke 4:23-27)

Better. At least now you attempt to address the passage.

in response to them calling question to what He had to say (Luke 4:22b). Note that the initial reaction was positive (Luke 22a).

Kind of a let down ToO. You haven't answered yet. You've rightly referred to the intervening verses. And you rightly mention the response of the audience was at first positive.

"And all bore witness to Him and marveled at the words of grace proceeding out of His mouth, and the said, is not this Joseph's son?" (v.22)

Better, but not quite good enough. YOU DIDN'T YET ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Jesus compared Himself to a couple of Old Testament prophets, Elijah and Elisha. Though they came to the nation as great liberators, healers, and comforters, the nation hated them and opposed them tooth and nail.

Why? Because they weren't for God.

So Jesus comes with encouraging words about loosing captives and setting prisoners free and all that good humanistic stuff. Yet those not caring for God will be miffed all the same, seek to murder God's "anointed" and disbelieve His sent ones, and prefer their sins instead.

Bottom Line. Jesus may come to set free and release captives and heal. But if you hate God to begin with and wish He's go away and leave you alone, there is no reason for you to rejoice.

You'll be busy plotting His destruction.

I give you a C for finally meandering around to a incomplete response. And some "context" expert, you ain't.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/god-created-us.178526/page-9
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:272 edits
    You believe that the purpose for which He was anointed was very different.

Prove that I believe the purpose for which He was anointed was "very different."

Prove that my explanation of His being ANOINTED does not INCLUDE the reasons given in the Luke passage.

Make sure you start your effort with with the traditional "C'mon jaywill".
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 00:512 edits
    I wrote:
    Bottom Line. Jesus may come to set free and release captives and heal. But if you hate God to begin with and wish He'd go away and leave you alone, there is no reason for you to rejoice.

You'll be busy plotting His destruction

Do you think it is too much for me to say the people wanted to kill Him because they hated Him and His Father?

Gospel of John confirms so.
    These words spoken by Jesus DURING HIS MINISTRY (in spite of ToO's pretensions).

"If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin.

He who hates Me hates My Father also.

If I did not do among them the works which no one else has done, they would not have sin; but now they have both seen and hated both me and My Father.

But it is so that the word written in their law may be fulfilled, They hated Me without a cause." (John 15:22-25)
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 06:01
    In Jesus words, he claimed to be sent from God.

Who in this thread, thinks he was correct?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 10:07
    I do of course.

The Word was with God and the Word was God.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 14:103 edits
    Now the words about what the Anointed one will DO as WORK in Luke 4:16-19 are wonderful. And so fat ThinkOfOne has not been able to demonstrate that my references to others passages about His mission contradict Luke 4:16-19.

That accusation falls flat. Nothing I wrote NEGATES His predicted mission in Luke 4:16-19.

I pointed out:
    1.) The reaction of the audience was not appreciation eventually but intense hatred. They sought to kill Him that day.

2.) In comparing Himself to Elijah and Elisha of the Old Testament He forewarned them that they would not be the happy beneficiaries of His mission because of their rebellion against God.

Below I will make another observation. When you read the Gospels carefully you see that what Jesus WAS as a person appears to be more important to the writers than what He did.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 14:38
    He was the kind of Person who was perfect and therefore able to be the sinless atoning sacrifice as a lamb without blemish for our redemption.

Case in point:

When the people sought to force Him to be their king, Jesus withdrew to the solitude of a mountain shunning the fame. This highlights above what He did with what He WAS as a perfect Person.

"The people therefore, seeing the sign which He did, said, This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world.

Then Jesus, knowing that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him King, withdrew again to the mountain Himself alone." (John 6:14,15)

Bottom Line: What He did as work and mission is important.
    But what He WAS in the character of His personality OVERSHADOWS this.

His work is important.
    But His LIFE, His Person is transcendent to this.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Oct '18 15:02
    Thankyou ToO for the flattering free advertisememt

But I would take this opportunity to recommend this message on Christ's Incarnation by one Brother Witness Lee.

Listen to all of it.

YouTube&t=2065s
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '18 21:48
    @thinkofone said
    C'mon jaywill.

I have started through your response. I'll let you know when you have answered me.

How can you so consistently get things so muddled up?

No answer yet. Staling for time.

Seriously, learn to read in context.

No answer yet. Still staling and evading.
    [quote]
    Take ...[text shortened]... xt" expert, you ain't.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/god-created-us.178526/page-9
    your a generous teacher, lol
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Oct '18 12:423 edits
    concerning Christ fulfilling the work of the Year of Jubilee.

C'mon jaywill. How can you so consistently get things so muddled up?

You don't believe or teach that the redemptive death and resurrection of Christ set captives free, recovered sight to the blind, and was good news to enslaved sinners? And I'm the one who has muddled things up in the New Testament?

His death and resurrection are the core part of His ministry.
    The muddled things up in the Bible is the deceived man who teaches that His resurrection was not His ministry.

His ministry includes His redemptive death.
    His ministry includes His resurrection.
    His ministry includes His ascension and His coming to His receivers as the life giving Holy Spirit.

The one muddying things up in the Bible is the Humanist fighting against these truths, all the while seeking to exploit the name of Jesus Christ to legitimize his own inept Godless philosophy.

You're trying to utilize the New Testament to dignify the muddy mess of your antichrist fortified Humanism.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Oct '18 09:52
    Jesus Christ carries on His ministry TODAY.

He is presently a MINISTER of the holy places in heaven before God

Hebrews 8:1
    Now in the things which are being said the chief point is this : We have such a His Priest, who sat down on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens.

A Minister of the holy places, even of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. "
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Oct '18 13:153 edits
    Doesn't get better than this. A true classic

Yep, ThinkOfOne, it gets even better.

Today in 2018 Jesus Christ HAS a ministry, a "more excellent ministry" at that. (That is more excellent then of all the Levitical priests).

"But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry inasmuch as He is also the Mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted upon better promises." (Hebrews 8:6)

"During His ministry" is right now - today.
    You should partake of His present day more excellent ministry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree