1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 15:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    I get where rvsakhadeo is coming from. Of course. But a resentment that means that the Imperial Japanese Army can still raise a smile to this day - and will till rvsakhadeo dies! (or so he says) - does damage to one's humanity -at least it does to my way of thinking - that no amount of tears, shed it seems to affect a careful geopolitical balance, for what happe ...[text shortened]... atrocities but, on the bright side, I did like the Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets thing[/i]
    I did not repeat not say anything in defence of or abatement of or acceptance of the atrocities that the Japanese army committed in the WWII. If you remember my post,I did say that the Japanese Army did a lot of cruel things at that time.I gave an example of the Japanese soldier doing live bayonet practice on helpless Chinese prisoners.Every society and culture is cruel and man's inhumanity to man is well known.I did not know that 2 million people were slaughtered by the Japanese army in Indonesia. Certainly that ranks right there with the German slaughter of several millions in WW II or the Stalinist purges in USSR in the 30s.
    Do not project me as a villain is my request to you, just because I was happy to read Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    27 Sep '11 16:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its not really an accomplishment, simply retribution. Perhaps rvsakhadeo may relate the details of the Jalianwala bhag, in which general Dayer, opened fire with machines guns into a crowd who had been lulled into a confined space, and killed hundreds in cold blood. or the 8 million Indians who died of starvation, while rice was being shipped out of ...[text shortened]... esentment and i suspect that this is what rvsakhadeo is simply displaying, a kind of resentment.
    I am fully aware that the British rule was a great boost to India. The entire administrative set-up constructed out of nothing, by the British, itself evokes admiration.The Zoological and Botanical Surveys of India,the Great Trigonometrical Survey of India,the Geological survey of India,the Indian Railways were steps taken by them which amply prove that they loved this country.The ban on the practice of Sati imposed by Lord Bentinck, the nurturing of scientific outlook as initiated by establishing Indian Institutes of Science at Bombay and Bangalore et al show the love they had for us. The great Judicial System and the establishment of the Indian Civil Procedure Code, the Indian Penal Code was a testimony for the love of justice that the British had. Nevertheless they were conquerors and they were keen on making money out of their conquest.This led to political subjugation and economic exploitation, in turn leading to violent or non-violent struggles for freedom. Some resentments take time to die out,that is all.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '11 00:52
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Do not project me as a villain is my request to you, just because I was happy to read Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets.
    rvsakhadeo: "I was happy when, as a youngster, I read in a book about Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets. I am still happy and will be happy about it, till I die."

Villain? Nothing of the sort. Don't be so insecure in your beliefs, rvsakhadeo.

"Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets" was a nugget of propaganda. It was a facade. The Imperial Japanese Army was raping Asian women in their hundreds of thousands. It was slaughtering "native Asians" in their villages, towns, cities, on their farms, with genocidal fervour. It was working literally millions of "native Asians" to death. And you come along and claim that "Brooke-Popham sweeping the streets" was the Japanese doing something to make "native Asians" like yourself "smile"?

In 2011 you STILL refer to him sweeping the street as "tit-for-tat for all the insults the "native Asians" had suffered under the British rule"? With all you know now about what the Japanese did to "native Asians"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree