1. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    02 Feb '12 00:52
    Years ago someone with a little bell on a stick gave me a free copy of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prubhupada and so I read it.

    I do not recall anything in it that was remotely like a proposal to carry out genocide against people of non-Vedic religions.

    Does anyone know which bits of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' authorizes its readers to call for genocide?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    02 Feb '12 01:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Years ago someone with a little bell on a stick gave me a free copy of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prubhupada and so I read it.

    I do not recall anything in it that was remotely like a proposal to carry out genocide against people of non-Vedic religions.

    Does anyone know which bits of 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' authorizes its readers to call for genocide?
    Yes, we get the point. I agree with you that Dasa's comments were reprehensible, but the repeated discussion about it is getting a little bit old.
  3. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    02 Feb '12 01:131 edit
    not quiet genocide, but the doors are open.

    2.31
    Considering your specific duty as a ksatriya, you should know that there is no better engagement for you than fighting on religious principles; and so there is no need for hesitation.

    2.32
    O Partha, happy are the ksatriyas to whom such fighting opportunities come unsought, opening for them the doors of the heavenly planets.

    2.33
    If, however, you do not fight this religious war, then you will certainly incur sins for neglecting your duties and thus lose your reputation as a fighter.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    02 Feb '12 01:15
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, we get the point. I agree with you that Dasa's comments were reprehensible, but the repeated discussion about it is getting a little bit old.
    Sorry to disappoint you.
  5. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    02 Feb '12 01:17
    also, consider that to anyone following that demented religion, the "soul" can't be killed and the body is seen as a temporary vessel so killing it is not a big deal. they'll just get a new one.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    02 Feb '12 01:181 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sorry to disappoint you.
    On second thought, maybe it does need clarification. If the Vedic teachings are truly non-violent, then they shouldn't suffer discredit because of one bad representative. I withdraw my comment.
  7. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    02 Feb '12 01:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    On second thought, maybe it does need clarification. If the Vedic teachings are truly non-violent, then they shouldn't suffer discredit because of one bad representative. I withdraw my comment.
    As far as I am concerned, 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' is no more or less "true" than the Bible or the Koran. jaywill recently [late last year] mounted an extraordinary defence of genocide in the Bible's OT. The Koran contains plenty of historical tales of vicious wars waged over desert territory. I just thought that 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' could be used to justify - in a 'scholarly' way - the genocide that has been proposed here, ostensibly according to Vedic "authority". If so, how?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    02 Feb '12 01:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    I just thought that 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' could be used to justify - in a 'scholarly' way - the genocide that has been proposed here, ostensibly according to Vedic "authority". If so, how?
    I know nothing of Vedic teachings ... so I'll leave it for someone who does.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    8042
    02 Feb '12 13:25
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I know nothing of Vedic teachings ... so I'll leave it for someone who does.
    Thankyou ...........very honest reply and very wise..
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    8042
    02 Feb '12 13:25
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    not quiet genocide, but the doors are open.

    2.31
    Considering your specific duty as a ksatriya, you should know that there is no better engagement for you than fighting on religious principles; and so there is no need for hesitation.

    2.32
    O Partha, happy are the ksatriyas to whom such fighting opportunities come unsought, opening for them the doors ...[text shortened]... will certainly incur sins for neglecting your duties and thus lose your reputation as a fighter.
    Thankyou .....now you are beginning to understand a little.
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    8042
    02 Feb '12 13:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    As far as I am concerned, 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' is no more or less "true" than the Bible or the Koran. jaywill recently [late last year] mounted an extraordinary defence of genocide in the Bible's OT. The Koran contains plenty of historical tales of vicious wars waged over desert territory. I just thought that 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' could be used to justify ...[text shortened]... e that has been proposed here, ostensibly according to Vedic "authority". If so, how?
    Nowhere near the truth.........and dishonest and baseless due to envy and ignorance.
  12. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    02 Feb '12 13:34
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Nowhere near the truth.........and dishonest and baseless due to envy and ignorance.
    Can 'Bhagavad Gita As It Is' be used to justify the genocide of all Muslim men that you proposed?
  13. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    89724
    04 Feb '12 05:03
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Nowhere near the truth.........and dishonest and baseless due to envy and ignorance.
    Fraud
  14. Joined
    19 Feb '07
    Moves
    1192
    04 Feb '12 06:43
    I always thought the Gita was largely allegorical, in which Krishna conveys to Arjuna the principles of victory in the battle within ones self, in which the spiritual nature seeks to overcome the ignorance of the false ego to achieve illumination (moksha).
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86348
    04 Feb '12 12:561 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, we get the point. I agree with you that Dasa's comments were reprehensible, but the repeated discussion about it is getting a little bit old.
    Almost every topic here is old but most are worth the mileage. Dasa's catastrophic "genocide" blunder only remains topical because he constantly denies saying anything wrong and continues to post here as though he is the holy mouthpiece of god. It's a similar priniclple with why some here (including me) keep probing at the JWs (without the genocide of course).

    Edit:Just read your subsequent post btw...
Back to Top