1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '11 11:23
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    All tolerant and liberal people whether atheists or theists will be glad to know that the Russian Court of Law has refused to ban the " Bhagavat Geeta ", the Hindu holy book. Reason has prevailed over prejudice !
    ... leaving unresolved the question of whether the BG or this edition with commentary is subversive relative to the Russian government.

I use "subversive" in a descriptive, non-pejorative way. After all, the American rebel's Declaration of Independence was subversive of the British government.
  2. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    30 Dec '11 11:39
    Originally posted by JS357
    ... leaving unresolved the question of whether the BG or this edition with commentary is subversive [b]relative to the Russian government.

I use "subversive" in a descriptive, non-pejorative way. After all, the American rebel's Declaration of Independence was subversive of the British government.[/b]
    The question has been very much resolved, as the state prosecutor had pleaded that the book was subversive and his plea has been thrown out.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '11 17:32
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    The question has been very much resolved, as the state prosecutor had pleaded that the book was subversive and his plea has been thrown out.
    I understand and would agree that from the perspective of a Russian court surrounded by international politics, the decision was made not to rule it subversive. The case was laden with distortion, apparently it was brought into court by the local branch of the Russian Orthodox Church along with the FSB. But I am asking it almost from a literary perspective. Does the document have sections that advocate against the form and structure of government exemplified by Russia? It would seem not according to the following:

Quoting from: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-12-22/india/30546077_1_expert-opinion-tomsk-state-university-iskcon

"Secondly, contrary to their opinion earlier given in writing, they didn't support the plea in the court that the book contained any subversive or extremist content. The two advisers invited by the court, N V Serebrennikov and N N Kapritsky, also rejected the written "expert opinion".

However, these two advisers said some abusive words are used for non-Krishanites in Swami Prabhupada's commentary, but added that the book does not attempt to create a racial or religious divide. This argument was countered by the judge herself who told that the Bible, too, used phrases like: "Don't throw pearls before a swine."

In the court proceedings it came through that while there was a tendency to claim exclusiveness on the part of Swami Prabhupada (a characteristic of most religious texts), there was no evidence to support the accusations made against the book."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree