1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 14:45
    Is there any chance these ages were actually months rather than years and something got lost in translation?

P-
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 14:46
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Is there any chance these ages were actually months rather than years and something got lost in translation?

P-
    Lunar periods, I've heard. Therefore people could easily get 12 times older than today. But I don't know if this interpretation holds.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 14:56

P-
    nope
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 15:05
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Lunar periods, I've heard. Therefore people could easily get 12 times older than today. But I don't know if this interpretation holds.
    Lunar periods are closer to months.

A year is a trip around the sun.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 15:05
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    nope
    You sound pretty sure, though I can't hear your tone.

Give some reasoning for your trite answer.

P-
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 15:12
    You sound pretty sure, though I can't hear your tone.

Give some reasoning for your trite answer.

P-
    creationists claim the world was created about 6000 years ago, does your argument suggest that it was created 6000 months ago?

did methuselah live for 900 and some months?

years is used in several places. it would be unreasonable to assume that it changes meaning. and if it doesn't change meaning, the whole bible including the old and new testament happened in about 500 of our years.

just look at the translations. if they use a different word for year, maybe it didn't have the same meaning as we hold it today. i doubt it.

abe lived in egypt, moses lived in egypt, it is logical to assume they used the egyptian year.
  7. England
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 15:22

P-
    unshure how our mankind of old worked the time line, seems they thought the world was flat, and the moon and sun went round us, but the seasons unlike today seemed pretty sound.
  8. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 16:031 edit
    creationists claim the world was created about 6000 years ago, does your argument suggest that it was created 6000 months ago?

years is used in several places. it would be unreasonable to assume that it changes meaning. and if it doesn't change meaning, the whole bible including the old and new testament ha abe lived in egypt, moses lived in egypt, it is logical to assume they used the egyptian year.
    Don't travel this road. There is no way I'm making the 6000 year old Earth into months. (The Earth is far older anyway, let's not make it more ridiculous by claiming it even shorter)

The Bible may insinuate the Earth to be 6K years old, and that's another discussion.

Methuselah living 900 years divided by 12 is 75 years. Sounds a bit more reasonable, no?

If you take the ages given in the bible and divide them by 12 you come up with VERY reasonable ages.

Also consider the ages where people give birth. Divide those by 12.

P-
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 16:30
    Don't travel this road. There is no way I'm making the 6000 year old Earth into months. (The Earth is far older anyway, let's not make it more ridiculous by claiming it even shorter)

The Bible may insinuate the Earth to be 6K years old, and that's another discussion.

Methuselah living 900 years divided by 12 is 75 years. Sounds a bit more reasonabl ...[text shortened]... asonable ages.

Also consider the ages where people give birth. Divide those by 12.

P-
    if you read all that boring list of who was the father of who, you would see that methuselah lived 900/12 but as the list draws to an end the ages get shorter.

as such there is a dude who lived 100/12 years. but still "had more sons and daughters"

not likely.

sure the length of the year may vary in different parts of the bible though then they should use different words for it. but in the same list? i would say it is a longshot.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '09 21:023 edits

years is used in several places. it would be unreasonable to assume that it changes meaning. and if it doesn't change meaning, the whole bible including the old and new testament ha abe lived in egypt, moses lived in egypt, it is logical to assume they used the egyptian year.
    ==================================
    ==========================================

Young Earth Creationists claim this. Old Earth Creationists do not.

Some Old Earth Creationists can garuantee you that the heavens and the earth were created "In the beginning" according to Genesis 1:1.

We are not told how many years ago the beginning was in the Bible. Gaps in the geneologies of early people leads some scholars the believe the existence of man on the planet is somewhere between 30,000 to 50,000 years.

Some argue for 6,000 years. But gaps in geneologies are expected by others. The Son of So-and-So did NOT always mean the immediate son. To be a decendant of your great great grandfather was also to be the son of that person in Hebrew if they wanted to skip generations for some reason.

=============================
    ==============================

I believe it was years.

It is very interesting. Methuselah's name means "When he dies it will come". The "it" must refer to the flood of Noah which happened when Methuselah died.

So he lived the longest in the Bible and in human history because of God's longsuffering. God would hold off the judging of the world for as long as he could to give more people time to repent.

So "When he dies it will come" lived some 690 or so years giving stubburn people more time to realize the sins of their ways and repent to God.

================================
    years is used in several places. it would be unreasonable to assume that it changes meaning. and if it doesn't change meaning, the whole bible including the old and new testament happened in about 500 of our years.

just look at the translations. if they use a different word for year, maybe it didn't have the same meaning as we hold it today. i doubt it.
    =============================================

If you want a reasonable appeal to the "Day Age" interpretation of Genesis I suggest Dr. Hugh Ross in his website "Reasons to Believe".

At present I do not subscribe to his view that the six days of Genesis were six ages of very long length. But he does present a pretty good logical argument in some regards. I have to admit. Ross is an Old Earth Creationist.

As for "lost in translation" the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls wonderfully confirmed that the Isaiah that we possess in our Bibles today is extraordinaryly accurate to what was possessed thousand years ago. The finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls pushed back the earliest copy of the book of Isaiah I think by one thousand years to what was previoulsy known.

The comparison of the most ancient copy and the previously most ancient copy marvelously confirmed that continuity and accuracy in transmission of the major bulk of that prophetic book.

It was NOT lost in translation. And those who argue that underestimate the extreme dedication scribes gave to accurately copying thier sacred Scriptures. They had mathematical ways of spot checking for errors. And if just one were found they destroyed the entire copy.

Counting letters, pinpointing exactly what letter should occur on what page, etc. This is not to say that absolutely NO typos exist in our thousands of copies of the Scriptures. What you have as a Bible is adaquate as a trustworthy transmission of what was penned long ago.

And the typos that DO exist in the New Testament actually facilitate a way to more accurately check what was originally written. Ironically, the typos that do exist serve textural critics to verify the Scriiptures more accurately.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 06:44
    I have heard that the Hebrew word for "day" can mean an "age", but never a year being confused with an month. I suppose it's a possible interpretation. I've never done the actual arithmetic to see if any of Adam's progeny (besides Noah & his family) would have been alive and swept away by the flood, but have been assured that the math comes out right and they were all safely buried with their fathers by the time of the deluge.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 09:57
    indeed, years might not mean "once around the sun". but in my opinion, if anything, it should designate a longer period of time. and the ancient people living for so many years, i have nothing. maybe they were thought to be honored for 900 years even if they died at the venerable age of 30. who knows.

it is really unreasonable to know that the life expectancy of middle ages people were 30 or so but the ancient people lived for hundreds of years.
  13. England
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 11:321 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I have heard that the Hebrew word for "day" can mean an "age", but never a year being confused with an month. I suppose it's a possible interpretation. I've never done the actual arithmetic to see if any of Adam's progeny (besides Noah & his family) would have been alive and swept away by the flood, but have been assured that the math comes out right and they were all safely buried with their fathers by the time of the deluge.
    we still use that term. the older you are they seems refer to "in my day" if our day does mean age/time
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Dec '09 22:01
    if you read all that boring list of who was the father of who, you would see that methuselah lived 900/12 but as the list draws to an end the ages get shorter.

as such there is a dude who lived 100/12 years. but still "had more sons and daughters"

not likely.

sure the length of the year may vary in different parts of the bible though then they should use different words for it. but in the same list? i would say it is a longshot.
    http://www.noahs-ark-flood.com/ages.htm

This is an interesting read, and I guess the years /12 is wrong.

I'll be back Monday to do some reading here and there also, but anyone thinking that any of these people living hundreds of years is sticking to their guns.

Someone please provide a link to the section of Genesis with this list of ages. I tried Friday but was not able to find it (in the few minutes I have to research between work commitments)

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree