Bible Study (Love)

Bible Study (Love)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
06 Apr 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I recall the very lesson of which you speak. I recall it well enough to point out that sincerity was never given as a criterion for having carried out any commands. I also recall that unambiguity is the hallmark of a good command.
Well Father Scribs, please either give the lesson again, or send a link so that I can study your writ.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
13 Apr 05

Do you see any problem here?

Do you believe it makes sense to be commanded to act sincerely?
Do you believe it makes sense to be commanded to feel a sincere emotion?

Can God create a person so evil that He can longer sincerely love him?
I believe loving one another is to sacrifice yourself in going out of the way to help other.

God didn't creat an evil person, that person chose to be like that.

I couldn't really think of much on this but I will give you the notes out of my Bible Dr. S.
=
13:34 To love others was not a new commandment (see Leviticus 19:18), but to love others as much as Christ loved others was revolutionary. Now we are to love others based on Jesus' sacrificial love for us. Such love will not only bring unbelievers to Christ; it will also keep believers strong and united in a world hostile to God. Jesus was a living example of God's love, as we are to be living examples of Jesus' love.
=
13:34, 35
Jesus says that our Christlike love will show we are his disciples. Do people see petty bickering, jealousy, and divition in your church? Or do they know you are Jesus' followers by your love for one another?
=
13:35
Love is more than simply warm feelings; it is an attitude that reveals itself in action. How can we love otehrs as Jesus loves us? By helping when it is not convenient, by giving when it hurts, by devoting energy to otehrs' welfare rather than our own, by absorbing hurts from others without complaining or fighting back. This kind of loving is hard to do. That is why people notice when you do it and know you are empowered by a supernatural source. The Bible has another beautiful description of Love in 1 Corinthians 13.

R

California

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
JOHN 13:34

Isn't this more worth remembering , than any things in Romans?
All the Bible is equal in being worthy of remembering.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by RBHILL
I believe loving one another is to sacrifice yourself in going out of the way to help other.
That's fine. I don't dispute that you can be commanded to sacrifice yourself.
What I dispute is that you can be commanded to sacrifice (or do anything, for that matter) sincerely.

(Note that my contention also does not dispute that you can sacrifice yourself sincerely. The contention concerns the command of a sincere action.)

R

California

Moves
13 Apr 05

That's fine. I don't dispute that you can be commanded to sacrifice yourself.
What I dispute is that you can be commanded to sacrifice (or do anything, for that matter) sincerely.

(Note that my contention also does not dispute that you can sacrifice yourself sincerely. The contention concerns the command of a sincere action.)
And you must give God/ Jesus the Glory and not yourself.

And thinking that you will go to heaven becasue of it no, you do it out of love for Christ already giving your eternal life.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
JOHN 13:34
Isn't this more worth remembering than any things in Romans?
Originally posted by RBHILL
All the Bible is equal in being worthy of remembering.
Well there's some stuff best forgotten in Leviticus, Kings, Corinthians, most of Malachi, and a lot of St. Pauls letters where he was talking about women. The book of revelations is worth remembering but probably not for the reason you want. But if [I'm an agnostic] we were given the ability to judge by eating the apple of knowledge we have the duty to do so, that includes picking and choosing in the bible and let's face it there's some pretty wild contradictions - there could be a test there that you are missing...

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
14 Apr 05
2 edits

Do you see any problem here?

Do you believe it makes sense to be commanded to act sincerely?
Do you believe it makes sense to be commanded to feel a sincere emotion?

Can God create a person so evil that He can longer sincerely love him?
We're not talking about the government commanding you to pay your taxes - if that were the case your argument would have some weight. This is a command from a the living God who's spirit transforms your mind. The change is in the way you think - so that your intentions are changed - not simply your actions. Your actions are secondary to your change of mind.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
(Rom 12:2 ESV)

There is a warning built into the command. If you actions are not sincencere, maybe you have not been given the mind of Christ.