1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    27 Apr '05 19:33
    Week 27

    Our Hearts

    In Scripture, the words heart, thoughts, mind, or affections speak about what is inside us. What we are or do daily will be greatly determined by what is in our heart because what is there will lead to action, good or otherwise.

    1. Circle key words and phrases in the following Scriptures.

    The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understandit?
    JEREMIAH 17:9

    He went on: “What comes out of a man is what makes him ‘unclean.’ For from within, out of men’s hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.”
    MARK 7:20–22

    Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
    PROVERBS 4:23

    If we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god, would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart?
    PSALM 44:20–21

    * Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
    PSALM 139:23–24

    Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    PSALM 51:10

    2. What do we learn about the heart in (answer briefly):

    Jeremiah 17:9
    Psalm 44:20–21
    Mark 7:20–22
    Psalm 139:23–24
    Proverbs 4:23
    Psalm 51:10

    3. Do a verse study using the form on the next page.

    4. Memorize Psalm 139:23–24.

    Verse Study Form

    Using the suggested memory verse marked with an asterisk from the
    opposite page, complete this verse study form.

    1. Verse reference ____________________________________________

    2. List two key words and define them.
    Key Word ________________________________________________
    Definition ________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    Key Word ________________________________________________
    Definition ________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________

    3. What does the verse say?
    (Paraphrase—Rewrite the verse in your own words.)
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________

    4. How can you apply the truth of this verse to your life today?
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________

    Closing (Prayer time and assignment for next week)

    Next Weeks Bible Study is on (Our Tongues)
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    27 Apr '05 22:31
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Week 27

    Our Hearts

    In Scripture, the words heart, thoughts, mind, or affections speak about what is inside us. What we are or do daily will be greatly determined by what is in our heart because what is there will lead to action, good or otherwise.

    1. Circle key words and phrases in the following Scriptures.

    The heart is deceitful above all things ...[text shortened]... Closing (Prayer time and assignment for next week)

    Next Weeks Bible Study is on (Our Tongues)
    The heart is, of course, a pump: no thoughts, evil or otherwise, come from it and it is not "deceitful" in any way. Why do you think your all-knowing God told the Israelites differently? Would it have been that hard to draw them a diagram of the circulatory system?
  3. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Joined
    26 Apr '04
    Moves
    21784
    27 Apr '05 22:46
    I believe biblically the word heart is a metaphor, referring to intentions.

    We still use it to this day, I love him/her with all my heart. Primitive man knew that the heart did beat, and when it stopped life was stopped. It does'nt seem that much of a stretch for them to think it might be the focal point.

    Nyxie
  4. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    27 Apr '05 23:02
    The Chinese ideogram 'xin' translates as heart-mind. The Chinese for example do not differentiate between the two.

    Xin intentionally appears similar to a human heart.

    http://www.feeltheqi.com/images/Heartmind%20xin.jpg
  5. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Joined
    16 Nov '03
    Moves
    88863
    28 Apr '05 00:57
    Originally posted by Nyxie
    I believe biblically the word heart is a metaphor, referring to intentions.

    We still use it to this day, I love him/her with all my heart. Primitive man knew that the heart did beat, and when it stopped life was stopped. It does'nt seem that much of a stretch for them to think it might be the focal point.

    Nyxie
    Sorry. Not possible according to our Fundies who reside here. The Bible is the literal word of God. If the Bible says 'heart' it means heart. It cannot refer to emotions or intentions. It can only refer to the circulatory system.

    Or isn't the Bible literally correct?
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Joined
    13 Aug '03
    Moves
    21735
    28 Apr '05 01:57
    Originally posted by eagles54
    The Chinese ideogram 'xin' translates as heart-mind. The Chinese for example do not differentiate between the two.

    Xin intentionally appears similar to a human heart.

    http://www.feeltheqi.com/images/Heartmind%20xin.jpg
    That is also true of the Biblical view. The heart/mind dichotomy my have been caused by a later Greek influence - maybe the Epicurean philosophy. The Hebrews used phrase like "heart, mind and soul" as a way of placing emphasis.
  7. Arizona, USA
    Joined
    15 Jun '04
    Moves
    656
    28 Apr '05 05:251 edit
    Ancients noticed that excitement or stress caused the heart to jiggle around more than it usually did, and they concluded that the heart was the organ that created our emotions and thoughts. That gray stuff in the skull was thought to be for the purpose of cooling the blood.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39559
    28 Apr '05 05:27
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    Ancients noticed that excitement or stress caused the heart to jiggle around more than it usually did, and they concluded that the heart was the organ that created our emotions and thoughts. That gray stuff in the skull was thought to be for the purpose of cooling the blood.
    But a all knowing God would have known better, right?
  9. Not Kansas
    Joined
    10 Jul '04
    Moves
    6405
    28 Apr '05 05:37
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    Ancients noticed that excitement or stress caused the heart to jiggle around more than it usually did, and they concluded that the heart was the organ that created our emotions and thoughts. That gray stuff in the skull was thought to be for the purpose of cooling the blood.
    It does a pretty good job of it on a windy day at -40 ...
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    28 Apr '05 16:14
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Sorry. Not possible according to our Fundies who reside here. The Bible is the literal word of God. If the Bible says 'heart' it means heart. It cannot refer to emotions or intentions. It can only refer to the circulatory system.

    Or isn't the Bible literally correct?
    The heart even though it may pump blood, it still can react to your fellings. if you have a very stressful day then your heart aches.

    Just like when you like a girl your heart pumps really fast. And there are also many other ways to.
Back to Top