1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 16:37
    Jesus Christ will be responsible for the resurrection of every dead person from the grave or elsewhere for judgment.

"Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming in which all in the tombs will hear His voice and will come forth: those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have practiced evil to the resurrection of judgment." (John 5:29;30)

Following His redemptive death for man's salvation and His resurrection,
    Jesus Christ was vested with authority to raise the dead and execute God's judgment. This is that the Son would be honored as the Father would be honored:

"For just as the Father raises the dead an gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom He wills.

For neither does the Father judge anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, in order that all may honor theSon een as they honor the Father.

He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him." (John 5:21-23)

All the dead, great and small, will be raised from the dead because of Jesus.

We have seen above someone's supposed statistics on how many murders are due to God or religious people. Jesus Christ has a record of not only all physical murders but all murders which took place in the heart of some angry person as well.

"You have heard that it was said to the ancients, You shall by not murder, and whoever murders shall be liable to the judgment.

But I say to you that every one who is angry with his brother shall be liable to the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, Raca, shall be liable to the judgment; and whoever says, Moreh, shall be liable to the Gehenna of fire." (Matt. 5:21,22)

So the next time we consider to call someone an idiot, or worthless, or a moron, or some other contemptuous term, we can see how much we are in need of a Savior to save us from our sins, in Christ.
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 17:50
    Originally posted by sonship
    We have seen above someone's supposed statistics on how many murders are due to God or religious people.
    I'm unclear what point(s) you are trying to make with the rest of your post, but I did want to reiterate what the original post is about. It is not about, as you say, "how many murders are due to God or religious people." It is specifically about how many deaths that the Christian Bible says that God and his followers are responsible for.

Obviously, I don't think the Christian God ever killed anyone in reality, no more than I think Lord Voldemort ever killed anyone. I'm just surprised and shocked that the Bible - a book that is supposedly used to advocate worship and admiration of God - accuses him of such a high death toll.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 18:37
    In the us civil war how many of the south did God kill?
  4. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 19:07
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    In the us civil war how many of the south did God kill?
    There’s no evidence the Christian God killed anyone during the U.S. Civil War or any other time, just as there is no evidence that Darth Vader or Lex Luthor or Zeus or the Easter Bunny ever killed anyone. You obviously didn’t read my last post if this question was directed at me. Anyway, I’m not sure what your point is supposed to be.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 19:362 edits
    Originally posted by PatNovak
    There’s no evidence the Christian God killed anyone during the U.S. Civil War or any other time, just as there is no evidence that Darth Vader or Lex Luthor or Zeus or the Easter Bunny ever killed anyone. You obviously didn’t read my last post if this question was directed at me. Anyway, I’m not sure what your point is supposed to be.
    If God never killed anyone then why do atheist(theirst) "b" about it then?
  6. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 20:34
    I agree that Lord Voldemort is comparable (at least in terms of reality if not in scale). I just think there are at least two aspects of religious debate. First is whether the god (or gods) exists, but second is whether the god is worthy of worship and/or admiration. I’m extremely skeptical that a god responsible for millions of deaths should garner any typ ...[text shortened]... st seventy, the law would look far more kindly upon me than if I chopped that person's head off.
    You don't believe in God at all, so this seems pointless. You're assigning your moral values to God. Assuming he exists for the moment, think about how trivial your moral judgments must seem to a being who has existed forever. A being that created not only you, but your whole world and everyone you know. You may as well ask a bacteria how it feels about the use of penicillin. Even that's not a fair comparison because we didn't create the bacteria. Why ask this question?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 22:08
    Originally posted by dryhump
    ... Why ask this question?
    It saddens me that so many people dislike questions.

I read an educational article recently proposing that we need more
    "question askers" in the classroom than "question answerers".

New knowledge comes from asking questions, challenging the status
    quo and moving forward - something religion is very much against.
    The religious stand point is: "It's all in the __________ *"

* insert holy book as appropriate
  8. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 22:22
    Originally posted by dryhump
    You don't believe in God at all, so this seems pointless. You're assigning your moral values to God. Assuming he exists for the moment, think about how trivial your moral judgments must seem to a being who has existed forever. A being that created not only you, but your whole world and everyone you know. You may as well ask a bacteria how it feels about ...[text shortened]... Even that's not a fair comparison because we didn't create the bacteria. Why ask this question?
    The main point of this thread is not really about God, it is about the people who follow God. You are correct that, if God existed, he would probably be unconcerned with my moral judgments of him. What I am more interested in are reasons and arguments in favor of following a religion whose own holy book accuses their god of killings millions of their fellow humans. I'm concerned with the morality of God's followers, not God's morality. Christians who believe that at least some of these deaths have actually happened should be able to explain why they are still siding with God.
  9. Joined
    13 Apr '11
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 22:44
    If God never killed anyone then why do atheist(theirst) "b" about it then?
    Most any topic should be fair game for discussion and debates. Since Christianity is the largest religion in the world, with around 2 billion members, their beliefs are an especially important topic to discuss and debate.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '13 22:493 edits
    The main point of this thread is not really about God, it is about the people who follow God. You are correct that, if God existed, he would probably be unconcerned with my moral judgments of him. What I am more interested in are reasons and arguments in favor of following a religion whose own holy book accuses their god of killings millions of their fellow ...[text shortened]... hese deaths have actually happened should be able to explain why they are still siding with God.
    Its rather simple, they (Christians) have submitted to Gods sovereignty rather than attempt to establish their own. If God judicially executes people then quite simply its for a reason. It can be proven from scripture that God does not arbitrarily execute anyone and thus your assertion of murder is quite ludicrous. They are in fact judicial killings. Persons are killed because they are irredeemable, as judged by God. Again because some individuals choose to kill in the name of God or claim that God sanctions their killing is not a reflection on God or the Bible itself or even on reality for that matter because clearly Christ was against to the taking up of arms. The actual fact of the matter is that both the religious and the irreligious are guilty of atrocity.

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/atrox.htm
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 00:581 edit
    Most any topic should be fair game for discussion and debates. Since Christianity is the largest religion in the world, with around 2 billion members, their beliefs are an especially important topic to discuss and debate.
    There are about 200 million more people that claim to be Muslims then claim to be christians.

2.2 B Muslims to 2 B christians.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 01:34
    I can't go any further in this line of discussion until you answer my earlier question as to whether or not you think god determines the exact time of death for every single person, or just for some people (like the people referenced in the original post). Your latest analogy isn't even remotely relevant to your argument (because neither part of your analog ...[text shortened]... gs in life as well. Are you arguing that doing enough good will make up for doing something bad?
    I'm not arguing anything in fact I think your whole premise is ridiculous, I'm just trying to point this out through a counter pov and a few questions.

As to whether god fixes the time of every person's death, I have no idea, but it's irrelevant anyway as I've already said that God is responsible for the deaths of every person on the planet which is a higher level response to your question. Asking about exact times is a side issue, not sure why you are fixated on that .

God is sovereign, that's all that matters to me.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 04:43
    There are about 200 million more people that claim to be Muslims then claim to be christians.

2.2 B Muslims to 2 B christians.
    Tour Christianity figure sounds right.
    But Islam has about 1.5 billion followers.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.
  14. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 13:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It saddens me that so many people dislike questions.

I read an educational article recently proposing that we need more
    "question askers" in the classroom than "question answerers".

New knowledge comes from asking questions, challenging the status
    quo and moving forward - something religion is very much against.
    The religious stand point is: "It's all in the __________ *"

* insert holy book as appropriate
    You misunderstand. Of course Christians should ask the question that PatNovak asks in the op. I just don't understand why someone who doesn't believe in God would even bother. I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) PatNovak is looking to convert, so why waste the time?
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 13:52
    The main point of this thread is not really about God, it is about the people who follow God. You are correct that, if God existed, he would probably be unconcerned with my moral judgments of him. What I am more interested in are reasons and arguments in favor of following a religion whose own holy book accuses their god of killings millions of their fellow ...[text shortened]... hese deaths have actually happened should be able to explain why they are still siding with God.
    You're predisposed to not accept my answer to your question, however, so I once again ask why you would waste your time with the question. You don't believe in God so any answer we offer is unlikely to satisfy you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree