Biblical guidance: dealing with non-Christians

Biblical guidance: dealing with non-Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

What specific guidance do Christians in this community think the Bible gives them on how to interact with and enter into discourse with adherents of other religions and other non-Christians or non-believers of various kinds?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @fmf
What specific guidance do Christians in this community think the Bible gives them on how to interact with and enter into discourse with adherents of other religions and other non-Christians or non-believers of various kinds?
When an atheist is off his ADHD and OCD meds, it’s best to not interact with him until he gets refills.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
When an atheist is off his ADHD and OCD meds, it’s best to not interact with him until he gets refills.
What Biblical guidance do you feel you have to support or shape the way you talk to atheists like me?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

What Biblical guidance do you feel you have to support or shape the way you talk to atheists like me?
Psalm 1. I really should heed its advice:

“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.”

(Psalm 1)

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Psalm 1. I really should heed its advice:

“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bring ...[text shortened]... he Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.”

(Psalm 1)
How does Psalm 1 translate into real life dealings, interactions, conversations with non-Christians according to your interpretation of it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18
2 edits

Well, I exercise a wee bit of caution. For example in replying to a question about "other religions" I see that the responder has been maneuvered into a position of perhaps agreeing that he is not experiencing reality but only "religion" - a mere sociological oddity.

" How do you interact with people of OTHER ... religions ? " This implies tacet agreement that my experience is one of many "religions". This could be to me like thinking that reality is another "religion".

So I use a little bit of caution about the presuppositions being presented to me by people.

The apostle Paul tells the believers in Christ to walk in wisdom towards those who are "without". And in the book of Acts we see many examples of ways in which he interacted with non-Christians and those of other faiths. IE. the philosophers on Mars Hill or the indigenous islander natives of certain Mediterranean Sea islands.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Well, I exercise a wee bit of caution. For example in replying to a question about "other religions" I see that the responder has been maneuvered into a position of perhaps agreeing that he is not experiencing reality but only "religion" - mere sociological oddity.

" What do you think of OTHER ... religions ? " This implies tacet agreement that my experience is one of many "religions". This could be to me like thinking that reality is another "religion".

So I use a little bit of caution about the presuppositions being presented to me by people.

Let me try to rephrase the OP a bit for you then and split it into two questions:

[1] What specific guidance do Christians in this community think the Bible gives them on how to interact with ~ and enter into discourse with ~ adherents of Judaism, Islam and Hinduism [to name but three]?

[2] What specific guidance do Christians in this community think the Bible gives them on how to interact with non-believers [which you can take to mean atheists, agnostics and perhaps deists]?

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

The apostle Paul tells the believers in Christ to walk in wisdom towards those who are "without". And in the book of Acts we see many examples of ways in which he interacted with non-Christians and those of other faiths. IE. the philosophers on Mars Hill or the indigenous islander natives of certain Mediterranean Sea islands.
Can you provide any examples or scenarios that might illustrate the practical application (of what Paul told believers in Christ to do) to the C21st world?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

I should be a lover of people.
A lover of people - is my biblical guideline.

That is like Christ loves me.

Moves
29 Apr 18
1 edit

I think the best piece of advice is found in 1 Corinthians 13, and I think most Christians (including myself) fall short of this at times.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18
2 edits

Can you provide any examples or scenarios that might illustrate the practical application (of what Paul told believers in Christ to do) to the C21st world?
Today, I was in a restaurant men's room. A fellow came in and used the urinal. He stated that this was the third greatest relief to a man.

I paused for a moment that he was striking up a conversation with me, a stranger, in the bathroom. So I asked him -

"What are the first two best reliefs?" or something to that effect. He replied that the first has something do to with women. I did not get all his words clearly heard.

But since by then i was walking out the door I decided to take the opportunity to confess my Savior Jesus to him as my deepest relief as a human being. So I said in a friendly tone -

"Being justified before God through Jesus Christ. That's the greatest relief. " Realizing that this might annoy him I added (for better or worse) "Okay, I'm off my soapbox."

I think he had a good natured response. The New Testament tells me to be ready to preach the gospel in season and out of season. This was certainly out of season - a men's bathroom.

That happened today.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Apr 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
I think the best piece of advice is found in 1 Corinthians 13, and I think most Christians (including myself) fall short of this at times.
I agree fully.
Without divine love you have nothing.

Good guidelines in First Corinthians 13, actually in the whole book too.

F

Moves
29 Apr 18

I should be a lover of people.
A lover of people - is my biblical guideline.

That is like Christ loves me.
Do you have anything more specific and practical examples of how "I should be a lover of people" translates into everyday interactions regarding different beliefs?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Apr 18

Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

How do I love myself? Loving ones neighbor isn't a measure of quantity, but of quality. God knows we love ourselves. Just think of all the things we do for ourselves.

As Christians we "examine" ourselves critically, daily, hourly to see whether we "be in the faith; and to "prove your(our) own selves."

I care for my body, and I care for my soul and spirit. I'm harder on myself than anyone here. Trust me. It's true.

Bottom line, we take you to task because of, and for the sake of love.

You may not like the way it sounds all the time, and Christians don't claim to be perfect, but Jesus is perfect, and He's the one that it's all about. You need to learn that. Jesus is The way, The truth and The life.

Christians love their neighbors. It's what we do.