They?
    Yes they, because I couldn't memorize many decimals... Alas: "They". 😕
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:23
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I can hit it with most of the book of Job. I performed the Book of Job as part of a grade 10 aolo act drama project. I receive a C for my effort and took this as yet another screw over by God.
    I doubt this. Your only contribution to Bible scholarship has probably been some doodling in the margins of Ezekiel 23.
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 15:301 edit
    Psalm 23 from memory...

The Lord is my shepherd
    I shall not want
    He maketh me to lie in green pastures
    He leadeth me besides still waters
    He restoreth my soul
    He leads me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
    I fear no evil for thou art with me
    Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me
    You prepareth a table before me in the presence of mine enemies
    You anointeth my head with oil
    My cup runneth over
    Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the lord forever.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:21
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Psalm 23 from memory...

The Lord is my shepherd
    I shall not want
    He maketh me to lie in green pastures
    He leadeth me besides still waters
    He restoreth my soul
    He leads me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
    I fear no evil for thou art with me
    Thy rod and thy staff they comfor ...[text shortened]... ercy will follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the lord forever.
    Is this really English? Not from my schooltime anyway.
    Is it the kind of English that was spoken at the times this psalm was written? 😵

Bottom line - isn't there a translation into modern English somewhere?
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Is it the kind of English that was spoken at the times this psalm was written? 😵

It is the english used during the King James version translation...very old
  6. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 21:57

It's Canadian. God doesn't listen when Darv prays in Canadian.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 18:15
    HOLY MARY, MOTHER OF GOD, PRAY FOR US SINNERS, NOW AND AT THE HOUR OF OUR DEATH, AMEN.

HOLY MARY, MOTHER OF GOD, PRAY FOR US SINNERS, NOW AND AT THE HOUR OF OUR DEATH, AMEN.

That's in the Bible somewhere isn't it?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '08 18:22
    Originally posted by duecer
    It is the english used during the King James version translation...very old
    How old is this English? Is this English concidered more hole or sacred than modern English?

The Swedish bible was reformed and retranslated right from the sources at the year 2000. The one before was from 1917. Some (many?) people thought that the 2000 bible was not as real as the 1917 one.
    For example: the word 'rape' was used when the old one said 'she was shamed'.

Are there any plans to translate the English bible to a more modern language so people actually can understand the words?
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 05:411 edit
    How old is this English? Is this English concidered more hole or sacred than modern English?

The Swedish bible was reformed and retranslated right from the sources at the year 2000. The one before was from 1917. Some (many?) people thought that the 2000 bible was not as real as the 1917 one.
    For example: the word 'rape' was used when the old one said ate the English bible to a more modern language so people actually can understand the words?
    New Revised Standard Version, 1989.

New American Standard Bible, 1995.

The Jewish Publication Society (JPS) translation of the Tanakh, the Hebrew scripture, 1989.

The New Jerusalem Bible, 1985.

New International Version, 1984.

These are all bona fide new translations from the original languages, not simply paraphrased from earlier translations (though the NJB drew upon a French version as well, and the others drew upon earlier versions as well). There is, of course, no consensus—else there would not be different modern translations—but the NRSV seems to carry the most scholarly weight among Christian scholars.

>>NRS Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
    3 he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
    4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff-- they comfort me.
    5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
    6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.

>>NJB Psalm 23:1 Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    2 In grassy meadows he lets me lie. By tranquil streams he leads me
    3 to restore my spirit. He guides me in paths of saving justice as befits his name.
    4 Even were I to walk in a ravine as dark as death I should fear no danger, for you are at my side. Your staff and your crook are there to soothe me.
    5 You prepare a table for me under the eyes of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup brims over.
    6 Kindness and faithful love pursue me every day of my life. I make my home in the house of Yahweh for all time to come. Psalm Of David

>>JPS 23, A Psalm of David

1. The LORD is my shepherd; I lack nothing
    2. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me to water in places of repose.
    3. He renews my life; He guides me in right paths as befits His name.
    4. Though I walk through a valley of deepest darkness, I fear no harm, for You are with me; Your rod and your staff—they comfort me.
    5. You spread a table for me in full view of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my drink is abundant.
    6. Only goodness and steadfast love shall pursue me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for many long years.

[Note: I didn’t try to reproduce the poetic lines of the JPS version here; where other versions replace YHVH, the name, with “LORD”, NJB offers the conventional notion of possible pronunciation, “Yahweh”—the name is not pronounced by orthodox Jews, and no one really knows how it was originally to be pronounced.]
  10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '08 07:35

There are modern English translations; my favorite is the New Revised Standard Version.

The English in the King James version is so hard to read because it's completely Anglo-Saxon. It is one of the finest representations of pure Anglo-Saxon literature there is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree