1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:15
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Holy Spirit reveals Truth. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    HOW?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 15:29
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    That is true...

So how precisely do you recognise truth when you encounter it...

Something more impressive than it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling is in order here.
    You speak of truth?

He and I are speaking of The Truth.

Something you apparently don't give a damn about, so no wonder you don't get it when it smacks you in the face. (Provided it even bothers with you.)
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:01
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You speak of truth?

He and I are speaking of The Truth.

Something you apparently don't give a damn about, so no wonder you don't get it when it smacks you in the face. (Provided it even bothers with you.)
    No you don't give a damn about truth other wise you wouldn't believe based on faith.

Don't you dare tell me I don't care about the truth when you evidently don't give a
    damn about it.

Science and rationality is THE ONLY way of discovering the nature of the universe.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 16:51
    No you don't give a damn about truth other wise you wouldn't believe based on faith.

Don't you dare tell me I don't care about the truth when you evidently don't give a
    damn about it.

Science and rationality is THE ONLY way of discovering the nature of the universe.
    truth

small t

Your small mind is too focused on small truths, like did that coin land heads or tails, or will I make it on time to catch that train.

Truth

large T

You obviously eschew the existence of larger Truth because you cannot fully wrap your head around it, and so therefore, sine qua non, it cannot exist.

But I suppose that small tidbit escaped your logical mind.

There are greater truths than just the nature of the universe.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 17:47
    HOW?
    Anyway He wants to I guess. I am not the Holly Spirit and can not search His mind. 😏
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 22:08
    truth

small t

Your small mind is too focused on small truths, like did that coin land heads or tails, or will I make it on time to catch that train.

Truth

large T

You obviously eschew the existence of larger Truth because you cannot fully wrap your head around it, and so therefore, sine qua non, it cannot exist.

But I suppose that sm ...[text shortened]... bit escaped your logical mind.

There is one reality, THE REALITY we inhabit.

Truth (capitalised or not) is simply the nature of that reality.

I want to know what that nature is.

There is no bigger quest for truth than that.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 22:31
    truth

small t

Truth

large T

But I suppose that sm ...[text shortened]... bit escaped your logical mind.

For someone who is forever pulling people up over their poor grammar
    it is amazing that you now want to define a new use for capital letters!
  8. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 20:21
    Did anyone here notice that Tutu has BOTH a capital and lower case "t" ?

It likely has no relevance whatsoever...

;-)
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Feb '13 22:22
    Originally posted by hakima
    Did anyone here notice that Tutu has BOTH a capital and lower case "t" ?

It likely has no relevance whatsoever...

;-)
    The first T is capitalize in the case of Tutu to indicate this is a proper name of a person. That is the relevance. 😏
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 05:11
    Truth

large T

There you go playing the 'supernatural' card. Essentially you are saying 'my Truth is different from yours, and mine doesn't have to be subject to logic or common sense'.
    You don't care about knowing the truth, because you just make up the Truth as you go along.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 11:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There you go playing the 'supernatural' card. Essentially you are saying 'my Truth is different from yours, and mine doesn't have to be subject to logic or common sense'.
    You don't care about knowing the truth, because you just make up the Truth as you go along.
    She's not just saying that "her truth is different"... she is claiming that her 'truth' is better.

But otherwise right on the money.

If I were to be staying in an old house, and one night I were to see a translucent faintly
    glowing figure walking through the house carrying a similarly translucent glowing lamp.
    Who walked through a wall and disappeared.
    And I could not find any evidence of it's presence, I had no pictures of it, or any other evidence
    you might think of to indicate that what I saw was a ghost...

Then not only could I not demonstrate to anyone else that what I saw was a ghost and not a hallucination.
    But I couldn't even justify myself believing that what I saw was a ghost and not a hallucination. (or some
    other kind of illusion/non-supernatural explanation).

Only with evidence sufficient to demonstrate the phenomena was actually the left over spirit
    of a deceased person could I both be justified in believing that it really was a ghost AND demonstrate
    that I was justified in believing I had seen a ghost to everyone else.

To know something to be true, you have to be able to demonstrate that it is true both to yourself AND everyone
    else. (you get into slightly trickier waters when dealing with proving something legally as it's possible to justifiably
    claim to know someone is guilty without being able to justify that in court as certain evidence is ruled legally
    inadmissible... or is evidence you don't want to, or can't, reveal for other reasons. this doesn't apply to truth
    claims about the universe)

This is a fundamental property of (and requirement for) knowledge.

You must have evidence to be able to be able to demonstrate that you know something and thus to be able
    to know something yourself.

You therefore cannot claim to know anything believed based on faith.

As you thus do not by definition have evidence to justify that knowledge claim.
  12. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 14:381 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Without my vouching for it, this is as least a claimed source:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Desmond_Tutu

quote:

When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land.

As quoted in Desmond Tutu: A Biography (2004) by St ...[text shortened]... sec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=snippet&q=later%20he%20turned%20serious&f=false
    A possible source of the quote is A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong'o (1967):

"'We went to their church. Mubia, in white robes, opened the Bible. He said: Let us kneel down to pray. We knelt down. Mubia said: Let us shut our eyes. We did. You know, his remained open so that he could read the word. When we opened our eyes, our land was gone and the sword of flames stood on guard. As for Mubia, he went on reading the word, beseeching us to lay our treasures in heaven where no moth would corrupt them. But he laid his on earth, our earth.'" (p15)
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 15:113 edits
    She's not just saying that "her truth is different"... she is claiming that her 'truth' is better.

But otherwise right on the money.

If I were to be staying in an old house, and one night I were to see a translucent faintly
    glowing figure walking through the house carrying a similarly translucent glowing lamp.
    Who walked through a wall and dis h.

If I were to be staying in an old house, and one night I were to see a translucent faintly glowing figure walking through the house carrying a similarly translucent glowing lamp. Who walked through a wall and disappeared.
    And I could not find any evidence of it's presence, I had no pictures of it, or any other evidence you might think of to indicate that what I saw was a ghost...

Then not only could I not demonstrate to anyone else that what I saw was a ghost and not a hallucination. But I couldn't even justify myself believing that what I saw was a ghost and not a hallucination. (or some
    other kind of illusion/non-supernatural explanation).
    And yet still you saw it. You're telling me that you don't even know what you saw without some sort of outside verification? That's weak.

To know something to be true, you have to be able to demonstrate that it is true both to yourself AND everyone else. (you get into slightly trickier waters when dealing with proving something legally as it's possible to justifiably claim to know someone is guilty without being able to justify that in court as certain evidence is ruled legally inadmissible... or is evidence you don't want to, or can't, reveal for other reasons. this doesn't apply to truth claims about the universe)
    Despite your capital letters to the contrary, you do NOT have to prove something to everyone else in order to know it yourself. How ridiculous is that? So you're saying that you depend on others for what you do and do not know to be fact? Yeah, right, sure, I believe that. As I said, that's weak.

By whose definition? Yours? How can I believe anything you say when you claim that you cannot know anything unless you can prove it to others? That not only ridiculous, it's not true. I may not have evidence to prove what I know to others, but that is NOT prima facie evidence that I can not know it to be true.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 15:17
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    For someone who is forever pulling people up over their poor grammar
    it is amazing that you now want to define a new use for capital letters!
    It's hardly new.

Thomas Jefferson used this tactic to emphasize certain concepts in the Declaration of Independence.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 15:24
    There is one reality, THE REALITY we inhabit.

Truth (capitalised or not) is simply the nature of that reality.

I want to know what that nature is.

There is no bigger quest for truth than that.
    No, you don't.

In fact you deny it.

You don't care what it is, as long as it's not God.

Sorry to disappoint.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree