1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Dec '11 17:421 edit
    Burma Shave Cream Road Signs


    What if similar road signs adorned highways and byways around the globe today, in both face to face and cyberspace, with the poignant message, "Eternity Ahead"? Would we become immune to and dismissive of the message because of its repetition or, alternatively, would osmosis eventually trigger an awakening to several 'what if' considerations:

    1) What if the real person is in fact an immortal soul living within a temporary mortal bag of bones? 2) What if these immortal souls brimming with knowledge and memories are in fact destined to reside at one of two addresses for all eternity? 3) What if each of these individual souls is solely responsible for its destination by reason of its own self determination and volitional choices? 4) What if there really and truly is an Almighty God with absolute attributes which include Omniscience, Omnipotence, Veracity, Immutability, Righteousness, Justice and Integrity... in addition to unconditional forgiveness and both personal and virtue Love? 5) What if His own perfect character precludes any and all forgiveness of wrong decisions during a person's brief lifespan on planet earth once the ballgame's over and results are permanently recorded in or omitted from The Lamb's Book of Life?

    6) What if there's absolutely no final appeal once the inhale of a last breath is history? 7) What if the real you is separated forever from God (grandparents, parents, brothers, sisters, friends you love)? "What if..." one helluva powerful phrase.

    gb
  2. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    3829
    04 Dec '11 17:54
    too many what if's.

    reduce it to one:

    what if you're in complete control of your own destinyy?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    04 Dec '11 18:58
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Burma Shave Cream Road Signs


    What if similar road signs adorned highways and byways around the globe today, in both face to face and cyberspace, with the poignant message, "Eternity Ahead"? Would we become immune to and dismissive of the message because of its repetition or, alternatively, would osmosis eventually trigger an awakening ...[text shortened]... s, sisters, friends you love)? "What if..." one helluva powerful phrase.

    gb[/b]
    This is the kind of thinking that can drive a person nuts with fear and paranoia. It can also be used by the unscrupulous to take advantage of those who are vulnerable. It does not deserve serious consideration by mature students of theology. It is something, though, that such students should be aware of, as a variant on Pascal's Wager.

    There are so many ways it can go. What if you are a devoutly religious follower of god X, and god Y,who happens to be the real one, punishes for all eternity, devoutly religious followers of god X? We know of religions that are founded on just this cornerstone.

    I suggest that the following god be contemplated: one who loves us and who will see that each of us is eventually reconciled with her. We can lessen the burdens of life for ourselves and others by compassionate use of reason.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    04 Dec '11 19:01
    What if Odin doesnt let you into Valhalla unless you have killed at least one enemy with your bare hands?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Joined
    14 Jul '07
    Moves
    43012
    04 Dec '11 19:43
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    too many what if's.

    reduce it to one:

    what if you're in complete control of your own destinyy?
    3) What if... above.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    12 Dec '11 01:39
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]3) What if... above.[/b]
    What if: Humans don't really know jack about what a real god would be like.
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    12 Dec '11 01:45
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    too many what if's.

    reduce it to one:

    what if you're in complete control of your own destinyy?
    Then you're in real trouble.
  8. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    12 Dec '11 01:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What if: Humans don't really know jack about what a real god would be like.
    What if: God revealed Himself in the person of Jesus Christ and humans chose to ignore Him, or better yet, denied His existence altogether?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    12 Dec '11 02:001 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Burma Shave Cream Road Signs


    What if similar road signs adorned highways and byways around the globe today, in both face to face and cyberspace, with the poignant message, "Eternity Ahead"? Would we become immune to and dismissive of the message because of its repetition or, alternatively, would osmosis eventually trigger an awakening s, sisters, friends you love)? "What if..." one helluva powerful phrase.

    gb[/b]
    We don't need to ponder these "what ifs" because the Holy Bible gives us
    the answer.
Back to Top