1. where I am......
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 21:24
    We recently had some lillies in the house and I observed how it had some 6-8 'worm shaped' parts around the center. Apparently this is to attract birds who will then be stuck with some pollen leading to polonation of other plants.
    It amazes me that there are those prepared to explain this as chance mutation and accidents rather than a creative force. Like, how do mutating cells know they should look more like a worm??...please!
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 21:34
    Originally posted by AMX
    We recently had some lillies in the house and I observed how it had some 6-8 'worm shaped' parts around the center. Apparently this is to attract birds who will then be stuck with some pollen leading to polonation of other plants.
    It amazes me that there are those prepared to explain this as chance mutation and accidents rather than a creative force. Like, how do mutating cells know they should look more like a worm??...please!
    Do you believe that God designed DNA?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Nov '05 21:441 edit
    Originally posted by AMX
    Are science classes now optional in most of the US and other countries? How can soooooooooooo many people be sooooooooooo incredibly ignorant of the most basic principles of evolution?
  4. Calgary
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 01:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Are science classes now optional in most of the US and other countries? How can soooooooooooo many people be sooooooooooo incredibly ignorant of the most basic principles of evolution?
    I agree, One of the first things I learnt in Biology was that science has a different meaning for the word "theory" and that most people don't really understand scientific principles. Here is a article i found that I hope helps explain some things.

http://www.amasci.com/miscon/myths10.html

Now to play devils advocate. While taking said Biology course I was amazed at the amount of processes that are involved in something as "simple" as breathing. The more I learnt the more I was amazed that anything worked at all. I know that these processes fail(asthma etc.) but these cases are few when faced with the enormous population of the earth.
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 01:43
    Originally posted by AMX
    Why do creationists love "random mutation" so much and hate "natural selection" and "genetic drift" and such?

Why do they sell themselves short? I listened to Ham and Gish and those fools for the better part of my childhood. I learned the special creation side. Then I went to college (yes, college, its really sad that I didn't really learn it before) and learned what evolution is really about. No apologists and missionaries involved. Just science.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 03:53
    Originally posted by AMX
    The cells don't know that they should look like a worm and never did. What happens is that plants vary in form in any number of ways. However most of these ways don't help the plant reproduce. Plants that have parts that look like worms in their flowers - just a random morphological variation among a million others - will attract birds and have their pollen spread, which helps in reproduction. Therefore this plant will tend to reproduce a lot and that's why you see this kind of plant.
  7. Not Kansas
    Moves
    05 Nov '05 04:00
    Originally posted by AMX
    Yes it is "by chance" Sucks eh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree