1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 07:21
    “You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodigal Son at least walked home on his own feet. But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words “compelle intrare,” compel them to come in, have been so abused be wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.” -C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 07:49
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    “You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and ...[text shortened]... r than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation.” -C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy
    More quotes without analysis.

Don't you have anything to say yourself? Don't you have your own thoughts, Bob?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 09:37
    stellspalfie, Blind Spots are my only fear: thinking you see something clearly but not seeing it at all. The C.S. Lewis seven minute conversation would have made me wonder if I had accurately understood God's Grace Provision to reconcile mankind to Himself or if I had previously dismissed the possibility prematurely (putting my sense of self preservation at risk).
    do you think atheism is a result of not understanding god?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 10:541 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    do you think atheism is a result of not understanding god?
    stellspalfie, another insightful question: to which the answers are "Yes" (atheists lack an understanding of "god" and God); "No" (inasmuch as their lack of understanding is the direct result of an uncoerced choice to remain in the dark). Thanks.

Note: In my observation online and out in the world, atheists seem to think and say "No" much more frequently than "Yes".
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 10:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    More quotes without analysis.

Don't you have anything to say yourself? Don't you have your own thoughts, Bob?
    Hi, Fabian. Please understand the fact that these words from C.S. Lewis represent Part Two of the Original Post.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 11:12
    stellspalfie, another insightful question: to which the answers are "Yes" (atheists lack an understanding of "god" and God); "No" (inasmuch as their lack of understanding is the direct result of an uncoerced choice to remain in the dark). Thanks.

Note: In my observation online and out in the world, atheist seem to think and say "No" much more frequently than "Yes".
    Please, tell us in what way we are not understanding god and God.

Of course, we actually don't choose to not believe, but it's not worth it to say that, is it? You've already made up your mind concerning that issue.

In what way do "we" say "no" more often? Which type of questions?
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 11:272 edits
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Please, tell us in what way we are not understanding god and God.

Of course, we actually don't choose to not believe, but it's not worth it to say that, is it? You've already made up your mind concerning that issue.

In what way do "we" say "no" more often? Which type of questions?
    1. You 'understand' that God does not exist; 2. What else do you understand?... Yes it is "worth it" because the lack of understanding is the result of not the cause of being an atheist... Please observe the sources of the negative wording and tone of meaning expressed within this forum for the next three days; then let's re-visit the question. Yes?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 18:51
    1. You 'understand' that God does not exist; 2. What else do you understand?... Yes it is "worth it" because the lack of understanding is the result of not the cause of being an atheist... Please observe the sources of the negative wording and tone of meaning expressed within this forum for the next three days; then let's re-visit the question. Yes?
    can you be sure that you understand god?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 19:34
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    can you be sure that you understand god?
    yes, stellspalfie....
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 21:06
    Hi, Fabian. Please understand the fact that these words from C.S. Lewis represent Part Two of the Original Post.
    Meaning you don't have anything. You just rely on an authority.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Mar '14 06:141 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Meaning you don't have anything. You just rely on an authority.
    Thanks for your thoughtful criticism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree