1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 19:17
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    how about the gift of tongues and people rising from the dead and muslims that are having dreams of Jesus without ever knowing of who he is.

... the Bible predicted that blacks would be slaves.
    Dude...please!
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 19:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    To add to rwingett's comment, why would a Christian be any more capable of reading and understanding the Bible than an atheist or agnostic? Are we even talking about Biblical events and ideas or are we talking about events and ideas as interpreted by Christians after reading the Bible?
    Actually, my read on the OP was that he needed to know exactly what in the videos was insulting to Christians.

Sounds like you'd have to be a Christian to know. Simple enough.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 20:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Actually, my read on the OP was that he needed to know exactly what in the videos was insulting to Christians.

Sounds like you'd have to be a Christian to know. Simple enough.
    But his claim was that this was an atheist deliberately insulting. So apparently no, you don't have to be a Christian to know. In fact, to judge whether he was being deliberately insulting, it might be better to understand his point of view - so asking atheists is more likely to get a valid result.
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 01:14
    But his claim was that this was an atheist deliberately insulting. So apparently no, you don't have to be a Christian to know. In fact, to judge whether he was being deliberately insulting, it might be better to understand his point of view - so asking atheists is more likely to get a valid result.
    I'd suggest that an athiest is predisposed not to see what may be insulting to thiests, i may be wrong though.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 05:071 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I'd suggest that an athiest is predisposed not to see what may be insulting to thiests, i may be wrong though.
    Well then the accused atheist must be innocent surely? Or at least he is destined to fail at any attempts to insult.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 05:29
    This prove to me that there is a God.

19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

Still we are the only planet with intelligent life, so that doesn't prove anything.

The Bible also says that God was made plain to them, people just want to ignore God.
    Which other planets have un-intelligent life, in your universe of course?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 06:50
    Well then the accused atheist must be innocent surely? Or at least he is destined to fail at any attempts to insult.
    After watching the video, I'm inclined to agree that he's being deliberately insulting. He's not just presenting his argument, he's using language designed to shock and insult. Showing the character in this video teaching kids his viewpoint with the language is also meant to shock and insult. I'm also guessing that being an atheist isn't quite as fun as when you can get that shocked look on the face of Christians.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 07:28
    After watching the video, I'm inclined to agree that he's being deliberately insulting. He's not just presenting his argument, he's using language designed to shock and insult. Showing the character in this video teaching kids his viewpoint with the language is also meant to shock and insult. I'm also guessing that being an atheist isn't quite as fun as when you can get that shocked look on the face of Christians.
    I urge you to watch more than one so you can balance the one that made me sit up with his other work.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 07:40
    But you claimed that as an atheist he probably would not know what is insulting to Christians. Did he do better than you expected?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was deliberately aiming to shock and insult. That is a surprisingly popular way to try and get a point across - though I must admit it is usually unsuccessful as Vishva eventually found out eventually (it took him quite a while to realize it).

I recently challenged a theist for calling atheists arrogant and foolish and he admitted that his main aim was to shock and insult in the hope of convincing agnostics to stay away from atheism.

Having said all that, there are stories in the Bible that are definitely shocking, and I really cannot think of a way of pointing out some the things I see as errors or problems with Christianity without indirectly at least insulting Christians for believing it. (I can't even say that without feeling I might have just insulted you - though that was definitely not the intention).
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 07:51
    But you claimed that as an atheist he probably would not know what is insulting to Christians. Did he do better than you expected?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was deliberately aiming to shock and insult. That is a surprisingly popular way to try and get a point across - though I must admit it is usually unsuccessful as Vishva eventually found ...[text shortened]... ithout feeling I might have just insulted you - though that was definitely not the intention).
    I will post the links after i have recieved responses from the guys i sent the links to. Then, you can see it for yourself and make your decision for yourself.

I first sought the opinoin of christians because i wanted to know if my theory was correct.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 10:301 edit
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I have been having an argument with someone who makes athiest videos, and i've been arguing that he is unfairly depicting christian/biblical events and ideas to parody and insult...He has asked for specifics on what is insulting, and i'm only guessing (being agnostic myself)...Is there a christian or two here that would help me out by watching a few ...[text shortened]... vids and giving me their opinions please?

PM me please if you're willing to help.

Huck
    Tell him that what he needs to do, to be consistant, is do similar videos about the Koran and Hadith. My guess is that he much prefers picking on Christians. Simply put, it's just a lot more fun picking on a group of people who don't fight back. If he says no, just tell him he is no better than a typical bully at any given school. It's only when someone punches you square in the face that you begin to learn a little respect I suppose.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '11 10:51
    how about the gift of tongues and people rising from the dead and muslims that are having dreams of Jesus without ever knowing of who he is.

I know you said to not use the Bible, but the Bible predicted that blacks would be slaves.
    Hey there RBHILL. Did you know that the screen name 'vishvahetu' has now become available........just saying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree