1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 05:05
    To what extent is God discussed in your doctoral dissertation? Does he at least get a mention in the Acknowledgements?
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 18:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    To what extent is God discussed in your doctoral dissertation? Does he at least get a mention in the Acknowledgements?
    yes
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 20:31
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    yes
    Get thee from this thread, interloper!
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 20:341 edit
    My dissertation is completely God-free, but I do make fun of traditional Kantians and Evangelicals throughout the third and fourth chapters. Nice to hear from you!
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 21:38
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Get thee from this thread, interloper!
    Sorry I didn't understand that it is a private chat....
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 21:43
    My dissertation is completely God-free, but I do make fun of traditional Kantians and Evangelicals throughout the third and fourth chapters. Nice to hear from you!
    How close are you to finishing? I wouldn't mind reading a copy, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 22:45
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    How close are you to finishing? I wouldn't mind reading a copy, if you wouldn't mind sharing.
    I'm a little less than half finished. Actually, the second chapter is one you'd be interested in. I'm defending the possibility of virtue based ethics from situation(al)ist psychology. There's a new book by Doris called "Lack of Character" where he amasses studies (e.g. Milgram, Stanford Prison, Princeton Seminary, etc.) to show that people don't have (and possibly can't have) the sorts of characters that virtue ethics thinks people should have.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 23:211 edit
    Has the spiritual forum here had any impact on your dissertation?
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 23:28
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Has the spiritual forum here had any impact on your dissertation?
    Yes. The spiritual forum here has 1) made me wary of trying to accomodate putatively "common sense" intuitions in my work, and 2) reinforced my belief that autocratic (or, in philosophical jargonese, "voluntarist"😉 ethical theories tend to advocate very childlike forms of moral deliberation (essentially rule-based deliberation, where the rules are handed down from an authority, and the role of one's own powers of discernment are minimalized).
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Nov '06 23:30
    Yes. The spiritual forum here has 1) made me wary of trying to accomodate putatively "common sense" intuitions in my work, and 2) reinforced my belief that autocratic (or, in philosophical jargonese, "voluntarist"😉 ethical theories tend to advocate very childlike forms of moral deliberation (essentially rule-based deliberation, where the rules are handed down from an authority, and the role of one's own powers of discernment are minimalized).
    I hope you will not footnote me.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 06:26
    2) reinforced my belief that autocratic (or, in philosophical jargonese, "voluntarist"😉 ethical theories tend to advocate very childlike forms of moral deliberation (essentially rule-based deliberation, where the rules are handed down from an authority, and the role of one's own powers of discernment are minimalized).
    Can't agree any more with that. The theological voluntarists around here remind me of Piaget's studies who are in the (~ 5 - 10 year old) "heteronomous morality of constraint" stage.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 09:56
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I hope you will not footnote me.
    Yeh, no one likes a kick in the ass! 😛
  13. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 13:14
    Will bbarr cite him as a "personal communication" I wonder? 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree