1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:241 edit
    Originally posted by EAPOE

Can you give an example of a truth?
    Sure. One of these propositions is true, or as you say, a truth.

An FSM exists.
    An FSM does not exist.

Determing which one is true, or as you say, establishing one as a truth, is an exercise in knowledge requiring information gathering, and is irrelevant to the subject of this call-out.
  2. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:29
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Sure. One of these propositions is true, or as you say, a truth.

An FSM exists.
    An FSM does not exist.

Determing which one is true, or as you say, establishing one as a truth, is an exercise in knowledge requiring information gathering, and is irrelevant to the subject of this call-out.
    How do you go about establishing a truth?

1+1=2 True or False?

As conscious experience is subjective we can answer the question as follows.

True. . . (Every time the calculation has been carried out and observed the answer has been two. By consensus of many carrying through this operation and obtaining the answer 2 it is concluded the proposition 1+1=2 is true. But not an absolute truth, the proviso is held that if the operation is carried out and a different answer is generated, the result will be investigated and if as a result the logic is shown to be at fault it will be revised.)

Not absolutely true. True only as a result of consensus.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:34
    How do you go about establishing a truth?

1+1=2 True or False?

As conscious experience is subjective we can answer the question as follows.

True. . . (Every time the calculation has been carried out and observed the answer has been two. By consensus of many carrying through this operation and obtaining the answer ...[text shortened]... to be at fault it will be revised.)

Not absolutely true. True only as a result of consensus.
    You are very confused about several notions, including truth, knowledge, subjectivity, deliberation, deduction, and induction. You also fail to express your questions and your claims clearly. There's not much more I can do to help you, other than to advise you that you need some help sorting these things out.
  4. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:45
    You are very confused about several notions, including truth, knowledge, subjectivity, deliberation, deduction, and induction. You also fail to express your questions and your claims clearly. There's not much more I can do to help you, other than to advise you that you need some help sorting these things out.
    Would you like to explain why my post is so confused?

🙂🙂🙂
  5. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 22:55
    Would you like to explain why my post is so confused?

🙂🙂🙂
    P.S. . . Would you like a game of chess?

😉
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    29 Jan '07 21:29
    Sure. It is nomologically impossible for a proposition of the form "There exists a fictional X" to be false, since the proposition itself is conclusive evidence of the truth of its claim.
    Take the following proposition, then,

"There exists a fictional FSM, such that it has a Oblanceolate Appendage."

Is this proposition itself conclusive evidence of the truth of its claim?

What if the "fictional FSM" referred to is the fictional FSM as commonly understood?
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 19:18
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole

What if the "fictional FSM" referred to is the fictional FSM as commonly understood?
    Until you tell me whether it does or doesn't, there is no proposition before me to comment on, only linguistic nonsense. I have been trying to communicate this to you all along and you just don't get it. You continue to mistake a statement with ambiguous terms for a proposition with multiple truth values.
  8. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:38
    Doctor, interesting post and i think you put up a good argument to support your point; not trying to catch you out here but could you give me an example of something that is - beyond any reasonable doubt - true? likewise, could you also give me an example of something that is false and will always remain in this state...?
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:46
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    Doctor, interesting post and i think you put up a good argument to support your point; not trying to catch you out here but could you give me an example of something that is - beyond any reasonable doubt - true? likewise, could you also give me an example of something that is false and will always remain in this state...?
    Sure.

An example of something that is true: All circles have a radius.

An example of something that is false: There exists a circle that has no radius.
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:55
    Until you tell me whether it does or doesn't, there is no proposition before me to comment on, only linguistic nonsense. I have been trying to communicate this to you all along and you just don't get it. You continue to mistake a statement with ambiguous terms for a proposition with multiple truth values.
    PAWN:
    Would you accept that the following proposition is true?

(A): "There exists a fictional FSM, such that it has a Noodly Appendage."

DS:
    Sure. It is nomologically impossible for a proposition of the form "There exists a fictional X" to be false, since the proposition itself is conclusive evidence of the truth of its claim.

PAWN:
    (B): "There exists a fictional FSM, such that it has a Oblanceolate Appendage."

NOW, IT SEEMS TO ME THAT, IF YOU SAY THAT (A) MUST BE TRUE, BY SOMETHING LIKE STIPULATIVE DEFINITION ,THEN, TO BE CONSISTENT, YOU ALSO HAVE TO SAY THAT (B) IS TRUE, FOR THE SAME REASON, RIGHT?
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 21:121 edit
    PAWN:
    Would you accept that the following proposition is true?

(A): "There exists a fictional FSM, such that it has a Noodly Appendage."

DS:

PAWN:
    (B): THEN, TO BE CONSISTENT, YOU ALSO HAVE TO SAY THAT (B) IS TRUE, FOR THE SAME REASON, RIGHT?
    No, because A was stipulated to be a proposition. B was not because it was given that its terms are ambiguous.
  12. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 21:18
    No, because A was stipulated to be a proposition. B was not because it was given that its terms are ambiguous.
    So, if I stipulate that both are propositions, then both are necessarily true?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 22:01
    So, if I stipulate that both are propositions, then both are necessarily true?
    Yes, but then you're not allowed to attribute multiple meanings to B.
  14. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 21:30
    Yes, but then you're not allowed to attribute multiple meanings to B.
    Nor to A, presumably.

Suppose the fictional FSM referred to in both A and B is the fictional FSM as described on Wikipedia.

Can I now stipulate that both A and B are propositions, and that each possesses a singular meaning?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree