1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Instead of asking these ethnocentric questions why dont u get a Dutch phrase book...AND....what is this question doing in the spirituality forum?!!
    I have already purchased and studied a book on Dutch vocabulary and grammar, so that I can read my way around. I just wanted to know how much Dutch conversation I would have to engage in. Phrase books are crap - what are you going to do when somebody responds in a manner that is not in the script?

A visit to Amsterdam is a Spiritual experience. It is the land of the same liberal ideology that has pushed at the boundaries of Ivanhoe's conservative Catholic shell and has caused his paranoia. What could be more Spiritual than partaking of this atmosphere?
  2. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 17:15
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I have already purchased and studied a book on Dutch vocabulary and grammar, so that I can read my way around. I just wanted to know how much Dutch conversation I would have to engage in. Phrase books are crap - what are you going to do when somebody responds in a manner that is not in the script?

A visit to Amsterdam is a Spiritual experience. ...[text shortened]... l and has caused his paranoia. What could be more Spiritual than partaking of this atmosphere?
    I stand corrected............So............what is Dutch for..."Can I have a large joint, a cool beer and beautiful hooker, please"........?
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 17:18
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    I stand corrected............So............what is Dutch for..."Can I have a large joint, a cool beer and beautiful hooker, please"........?
    Geef me, geef me, geef me!
  4. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 11:59
    I am planning a week-long trip to Amsterdam in June. What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?

Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium? Or will I need to study up on my Dutch speaking skills to communicate with your countrymen wo ...[text shortened]... t menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
    Are you gonna stop by in Den Haag as well? If so ... let me know ... I can show you around town.
  5. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Jan '06 16:221 edit
    I am planning a week-long trip to Amsterdam in June. What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?

Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium? Or will I need to study up on my Dutch speaking skills to communicate with your countrymen wo ...[text shortened]... t menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
    Dr. S: if I have any money, I might hop on to the continent between the end of my finals and my return to the States, ie in June sometime. I have no firm plans. What dates do you plan to travel? EDIT Specifically, I might stay with a friend in Amsterdam, who, shall we say, has absorbed the lifestyle to the extent where he is not bothered when I turn up.

At Professa K: When and where will you be in England?
  6. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 12:54

My advice: brush up on your darts. The whole country has gone arrows crazy in the last few years.

If you can't hit a double, and a leggy blonde dutch babe beats you with 11 throws, you could find it shattering for your self-confidence. Of course, the fact that she's leggy and blonde and a babe might just compensate...
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 16:081 edit
    I am coming to visit a friend who is living temporarily in Utrecht. He says very few people there speak English, and all of the written material, such as restaurant menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
    All you gotta do is start putting a "h" along with every "s". So sex becomes Shex (more specifically "shecksh" due to the s sound in x), Animals becomes animalsh, etc.

D
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 16:08
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    All you gotta do is start putting a "h" along with every "s". So sex becomes Shex (more specifically "shecksh" due to the s sound in x), Animals becomes animalsh, etc.

D
    Doesn't that turn you into Sean Connery?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 16:11
    Originally posted by Starrman
    A fortunate side-effect of trying to sound dutch.

I met a dutch policeman in Vietnam called Lex. His introduction went "Hi, I'm Leksh, shoundsh like shecksh"

D
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 16:14
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    A fortunate side-effect of trying to sound dutch.

I met a dutch policeman in Vietnam called Lex. His introduction went "Hi, I'm Leksh, shoundsh like shecksh"

D
    Are there any misunderstandings when asking people to take a seat? 😀😀
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 17:48
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Are there any misunderstandings when asking people to take a seat? 😀😀
    Just don't try to communicate your appreciation for their city!
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 17:51
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Just don't try to communicate your appreciation for their city!
    lol
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 17:58
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Naaa ... Humphrey Bogart ...
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 19:54
    Originally posted by NicolaiS
    Are you gonna stop by in Den Haag as well? If so ... let me know ... I can show you around town.
    Thanks for the offer. At this time, I can't commit to being in the Hague at all, much less at some specific meeting time. I'll let you know as the time draws nearer, but most likely I'll want to keep the number of commitments on my schedule to a minimum.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Jan '06 19:55
    Originally posted by royalchicken
    Dr. S: if I have any money, I might hop on to the continent between the end of my finals and my return to the States, ie in June sometime. I have no firm plans. What dates do you plan to travel? EDIT Specifically, I might stay with a friend in Amsterdam, who, shall we say, has absorbed the lifestyle to the extent where he is not bothered when I turn up.

At Professa K: When and where will you be in England?
    I'm planning on being there around the first week of June. As I told Nicolai, it's too early for me to commit to any meetings. Perhaps as the time draws nearer.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree