1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:26
    I often hear fears that Obama is really a Muslim and that he may take his oath of office (assuming he is elected) on the Koran. Why do I not hear any concerns about the possibility of McCain's runnning mate possibilities, one a Mormon taking the oath of office on the Book of Mormon and the other a Jew (Eric Cantor) taking his on an incomplete Bible?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Aug '08 21:51
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I often hear fears that Obama is really a Muslim and that he may take his oath of office (assuming he is elected) on the Koran. Why do I not hear any concerns about the possibility of McCain's runnning mate possibilities, one a Mormon taking the oath of office on the Book of Mormon and the other a Jew (Eric Cantor) taking his on an incomplete Bible?
    God's chill with Jews and their half-religion. I guess it's like he sees them as his rebellious but still favorite child. The Mormons are AMERICAN, home bred, even if they are weird.
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 01:22
    Obama's not Muslim. That's ridiculous.
  4. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 01:45
    I personally don't care what book they swear on. In fact, why we still use the bible to swear on in this way and in court makes little sense to me and should cease.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 03:21
    Originally posted by Sunburnt
    I personally don't care what book they swear on. In fact, why we still use the bible to swear on in this way and in court makes little sense to me and should cease.
    I think they should swear the oath of office on Websters international standard Dictionary.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 08:30
    what would an atheist swear on? assuming he is suicidal enough to admit he is an atheist running for president in US and assuming he is lucky enough to be elected?

this practice should stop. but i guess it is tradition
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 09:30
    I he swears on the Bible then it will only prove that he is in fact not a follower of Christ, who made it quite clear that swearing was not desirable.
    But then tradition has a way of overriding religious teachings.
  8. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 11:37
    I don't think it matters whether they swear in our not, they all eventually break their oathes
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 12:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what would an atheist swear on? assuming he is suicidal enough to admit he is an atheist running for president in US and assuming he is lucky enough to be elected?

this practice should stop. but i guess it is tradition
    The more I think of it, the more I think that it should just be the U.S. flag that should be sworn on and that's it. No bible, no quran.

You are swearing to do the best for your country and the flag would do as a symbol for that.
  10. At the Revolution
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 15:09
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    The more I think of it, the more I think that it should just be the U.S. flag that should be sworn on and that's it. No bible, no quran.

You are swearing to do the best for your country and the flag would do as a symbol for that.
    The whole religion-ist part of US culture (i.e. "In God We Trust," "One nation under God," swearing on the Bible, etc.) was added during the McCarthy era when people were terrified of being atheist.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 19:18
    Originally posted by scherzo
    The whole religion-ist part of US culture (i.e. "In God We Trust," "One nation under God," swearing on the Bible, etc.) was added during the McCarthy era when people were terrified of being atheist.
    What did people swear on before that?

Frankly, I know some about US history, but not all the specifics. I do know some of it predates the 50's though. I know the "under god" part of the pledge came from.

However, god being on currency goes further back:
    http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html

The McCarty era was more about rooting out commies than atheists. The thing was that they saw communism as linked to atheism so the US wanted to distinguish ourselves from the "godless commies" etc..

I do think we should swear on the flag though. That would make more sense than a "holy" book.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 19:36
    Originally posted by Sunburnt
    Jesus tells us not to do it in the Bible. Did you know that?
  13. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 19:38
    I wouldn't worry about Cantor -- he's likely to be able to sing well and the Bible he uses is, in point of fact, the only 5 books that haven't caused millions of unnecessary deaths and led to that sink of putrid corruption and sexual predation of children known as the Catholic Church.

Not that those first 5 books are the revealed word of a deity, either. All of what is taken as scripture is merely ink on a page put there by fallible human beings.

Lots of folks use those words for their own power-driven or self righteous ends.

But they are just words on a page.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 19:38
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    What did people swear on before that?

Frankly, I know some about US history, but not all the specifics. I do know some of it predates the 50's though. I know the "under god" part of the pledge came from.

However, god being on currency goes further back:
    http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html

The McCarty era was ...[text shortened]... think we should swear on the flag though. That would make more sense than a "holy" book.
    They didn't swear on anything.

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:
    "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_Two_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Clause_8:_Oath_or_Affirmation

Notice the lack of "so help me God".
  15. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '08 19:451 edit
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Wow, you could not be more incorrect here if you tried. A simple examination of numismatics would show that God references have been in place since the American Civil War and that attempts were made more than 20 years prior to that to include mottos with reference to God.

In point of fact, the Civil War was rife with both sides claiming to be on the side of God and the inclusion of these mottos were but a part of that.

As far as swearing into office on a Bible or using the phrase "So help me God", that has been going on since the beginning of the republic. It should be noted that some have chosen to take the oath of presidential office without a Bible, most recently Theodore Roosevelt. But the use of Judeo-Christian scripture in swearing in and inaugurations has also been more or less a constant since the Civil War.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree