1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes, of course. You are a Man U fan and I'm a Chelsea fan. You are an atheist and I'm a Christian.

See, and no one is wasting no one...
    *loads shotgun* 😛
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:08
    Originally posted by Trev33
    That's what i believe, I was asking for other peoples opinions.
    To what end? The only other opinion than yours is no so if you believe the answer is yes should you not ask why a devoted religious person and an atheist can't have a relationship? It is the next logical step. 😉
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:14
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    To what end? The only other opinion than yours is no so if you believe the answer is yes should you not ask why a devoted religious person and an atheist can't have a relationship? It is the next logical step. 😉
    Indeed, and ask both parties too. I'm sure atheists will have a view on whether or not they would marry a religious person.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:19
    Originally posted by divegeester
    but it's not a good idea to marry someone who has fundamentally different views from yourself is it.
    Politically I'd agree with you, people with vastly different political views tend to be very different people with very different values. I couldn't be in the same room with a right wing fundamentalist for more than 5 minutes never mind being in a relationship with them. I see religion to be different though, as an adult I've dated one practicing Catholic, similar views in others areas but completely different ideas regarding religion. If there's mutual respect between the two people and their different beliefs why would it be a problem?
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:23
    I was getting there, don't rush me 😛
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:291 edit
    I was getting there, don't rush me 😛
    If you were to ask that then I would ask you; what causes a relationship to be successful?
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:35
    what causes a relationship to be successful?
    You'd be asking the wrong person 🙂

Mutual respect is up there though.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 07:481 edit

If you don't know what causes a relationship to be successful then how do you know that one can have multiple succsessful relationships?

This is why stating that you know anything is faulty because logic works backwards and forwards ad infinitum. To say you know A means you know C and D ad infinitum and to say you know D means you know C and A ad infinitum. Who can say that they have limitless knowledge? Thus, if you cannot say you have limitless knowledge then you have no knowledge. Realizing and understanding this is the key to an open mind. A closed mind understands nothing.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 13:16
    If you don't know what causes a relationship to be successful then how do you know that one can have multiple succsessful relationships?

This is why stating that you know anything is faulty because logic works backwards and forwards ad infinitum. To say you know A means you know C and D ad infinitum and to say you know D means you know C and A ad infin ...[text shortened]... Realizing and understanding this is the key to an open mind. A closed mind understands nothing.
    You keep using that word [logic]... I do not think it means what you think it means....

(princess bride quotes are best quotes)
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 15:21

This is why stating that you know anything is faulty because logic works backwards and forwards ad infinitum. To say you know A means you know C and D ad infinitum and to say you know D means you know C and A ad infin ...[text shortened]... Realizing and understanding this is the key to an open mind. A closed mind understands nothing.
    Were you smoking the wacky backy again?

I didn't say i didn't know i said i wasn't the best person to comment on it, would you rather listen to a doctor after a year of medical school or one who has practiced medicine for 15 years?

You do understand that by 'relationships' i was talking about sexual relationship and by 'multiple relationships' i was referring to non-sexual relationships? There's a big difference.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 19:52
    Were you smoking the wacky backy again?

[b]If you don't know what causes a relationship to be successful then how do you know that one can have multiple succsessful relationships?

I didn't say i didn't know i said i wasn't the best person to comment on it, would you rather listen to a doctor after a year of medical school or one who has practiced me ...[text shortened]... e relationships' i was referring to non-sexual relationships? There's a big difference.[/b]
    It doesn't matter what kind of relationship. Do you know what causes any kind of successful relationship? This isn't a question for me it is a question for you.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 19:591 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You keep using that word [logic]... I do not think it means what you think it means....

(princess bride quotes are best quotes)
    Logic is supposedly cause and effect but the effect of a cause becomes the cause of another effect.

cause and effect and cause and effect. So you can't say that effect doesn't come before cause if you don't even know what came first can you? Because if there was a first cause that means it was also the first effect meaning that it couldn't be the first cause.

Ex. Cause: punching a brick wall; Effect: you're hand breaks; Cause: you broke your hand; Effect: you feel pain in your hand.

The first cause of the pain in your hand was punching a brick wall. Was it? What caused you to punch that wall? I say the first effect of the pain in your hand was punching a brick wall because something caused you to punch that wall.

This is why I dispense with this and call it faulty logic because an infinite cause makes more sense.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '11 20:35
    Logic is supposedly cause and effect but the effect of a cause becomes the cause of another effect.

cause and effect and cause and effect. So you can't say that effect doesn't come before cause if you don't even know what came first can you? Because if there was a first cause that means it was also the first effect meaning that it couldn't be the first ...[text shortened]... y I dispense with this and call it faulty logic because an infinite cause makes more sense.
    I am not sure I can do better than to repeat my princess bride quote....

What you are talking about is nonsensical.... and is not logic.
  14. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 04:231 edit

Hi Trev,
    Love would also be a factor.

But the smallest church is the family. If one is married to a non-Christian it is better that one stays at home on Sundays and be there for your family,...

I have seen non-Christians being married to Christians all their lives. I don't know how successful they were but they were not divorced. However, I would agree with Sumydid that it makes more sense not to...

I have continued some of my friendships with non-Christian class-mates/friends. It is possible but watch out for potential land-mines 🙂
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '11 12:22
    It doesn't matter what kind of relationship. Do you know what causes any kind of successful relationship? This isn't a question for me it is a question for you.
    According to you "if you cannot say you have limitless knowledge then you have no knowledge." so how can i possibly answer that question?

From personal experience though i would say that need, want, desire, respect, mutual interests, timing, circumstances among others are factors that lead to the forming of a successful relationship. Let not forget the vast number of types of relationship though, all the way from 'life partner' to postman who you've never spoken to. He needs to pay his rent and eat and i need someone to deliver my mail, 'need, want, desire, respect, mutual interests, timing, circumstances' all the boxes have been ticked to form the perfect relationship between myself and the postman.

Every relationship is different, both parties get different things out of each individual relationship, sometimes unwanted things but that's not the point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree