1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 May '14 10:13
    Just a thought.
    Surely omnipotence cannot be extended to changing universal truths?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 May '14 10:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Just a thought.
    Leaving aside the god element, why is the value of pi a universal truth? Aren't universal "truths" changeable in extreme cosmic circumstances.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 11:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Leaving aside the god element, why is the value of pi a universal truth? Aren't universal "truths" changeable in extreme cosmic circumstances.
    my wife constantly questions the value and size of pie be it apple or pork
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 12:38
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No, universal truths, are by definition, universally true. You might argue that the value of pi is not a universal truth, but you cannot claim that universal truths are changeable.
    And the value of pi possibly depends on certain axioms but not on cosmic circumstances, so it is not changeable in extreme cosmic circumstances.
    If the axioms are false, then the value of pi would not change. In fact, I believe the value of pi is actually not dependent on any axioms whatsoever, but rather solely on definitions. So it may not even be a 'truth' at all, but rather a definition.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 May '14 14:34
    Just a thought.
    Why would God 'need' to change the value of pi?

The value of pi would automatically change if some other laws of physics were changed. It's just a ratio of two numbers. If the ratio changed due to other changes, then pi would change. I see no other reason.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 May '14 14:491 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why would God 'need' to change the value of pi?

The value of pi would automatically change if some other laws of physics were changed. It's just a ratio of two numbers. If the ratio changed due to other changes, then pi would change. I see no other reason.
    pi is defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter in Euclidean geometry, as such it is a mathematical object and doesn't depend particularly on the laws of physics.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 16:031 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    pi is defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter in Euclidean geometry, as such it is a mathematical object and doesn't depend particularly on the laws of physics.
    If pi is, as I believe, nothing more than a direct consequence of definitions with no axioms involved, one could equally ask the question "can an omnipotent being change the value of '2' "?
    The question is bordering on being incoherent. What would it even mean if he changed the value of '2' to say '2.5'?
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 May '14 16:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 May '14 16:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If pi is, as I believe, nothing more than a direct consequence of definitions with no axioms involved, one could equally ask the question "can an omnipotent being change the value of '2' "?
    The question is bordering on being incoherent. What would it even mean if he changed the value of '2' to say '2.5'?
    then 1 would = 1.25 so transfer that to my bank account =loads more money
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '14 16:34
    Just a thought.
    Related question: does an omniscient being know the exact numeric value of pi? (Say, in base 10.)

BTW, most people think of pi in its geometric sense but it is also the numeric value of a mathematical series expansion. More than one series expansion, actually.

Here's one: PI/4 = 1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...

or PI = 4(1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...)

alternating + and - and using odd integers.

http://math2.org/math/constants/pi.htm
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:13
    Just a thought.
    Omnipotent can be defined as "can do anything logically possible". Problem solved.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:13
    Originally posted by JS357
    Related question: does an omniscient being know the exact numeric value of pi? (Say, in base 10.)
    Again, I think, an incoherent question pi does not have an 'exact value' in base 10. Its an irrational number. Pi is exact, but cannot be expressed exactly in base 10.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:53
    Again, I think, an incoherent question pi does not have an 'exact value' in base 10. Its an irrational number. Pi is exact, but cannot be expressed exactly in base 10.
    I thought it COULD be exactly expressed in base 10 (or any base, really) so long as you use an infinite number of digits.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I thought it COULD be exactly expressed in base 10 (or any base, really) so long as you use an infinite number of digits.
    And that is the problem. There is no such thing as using exactly an infinite number of digits.
    Its like saying 'you could count to infinity if you counted all the integers'. Its incoherent because there is not actual number called 'infinity'.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 May '14 17:59
    It can be expressed exactly in base pi, in which case it is 10. Right?

In any base, the base is expressible as 10. I think.🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree