1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 May '07 19:142 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Rather, I chose not to repeat the reasons I had already given.

You have trouble being truthful, so I can't be bothered to discuss anything further with you. Sorry!
    I've been nothing but truthful. Since you didn't respond, the only conclusion that I could draw was that you chose to ignore it. Besides, the reasons you had already given showed a lack of critical thinking. Perhaps if you set aside your pride, you'll be able to see it. In this way, you really are little different from the 'literalist Christians' that you seem to delight in ridiculing.

The ironic thing is that I'm not even close to being a 'literalist' and most would be reluctant to call me a 'Christian', but the argument you've chosen here is seriously flawed. Just admit it and move on 🙂
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 May '07 18:30
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    So, God can do something that isn't good?

If not -- that God can only do that which is good -- then why wouldn't you rejoice in it?

Nemesio
    I missed your answer, epiphinehas.

Nemesio
  3. Illinois
    Moves
    30 May '07 19:47
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I missed your answer, epiphinehas.
    So, God can do something that isn't good? If not -- that God can only do that which is good -- then why wouldn't you rejoice in it?

I guess because it offends me. The Israelite's indiscriminate slaughter of the thirty-one kings and everyone in their cities, disrupts my sense of right and wrong. It disturbs me. I would like to ask God personally why it was even necessary. Perhaps one day I will. In my eyes what God commanded was not good, but I am just a man, and though I know God doesn't mind if we get angry at him, I'm not comfortable bringing God himself into question just because I can't understand the reasons for everything he does. You have every right to do so, but I simply choose not to.
  4. Gangster Land
    Moves
    30 May '07 20:16
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]So, God can do something that isn't good? If not -- that God can only do that which is good -- then why wouldn't you rejoice in it?

I guess because it offends me. The Israelite's indiscriminate slaughter of the thirty-one kings and everyone in their cities, disrupts my sense of right and wrong. It disturbs me. I would like to ask God person ...[text shortened]... easons for everything he does. You have every right to do so, but I simply choose not to.[/b]
    Based on what you have written here I would consider you to have an above average mind, which makes it all the more unfortunate that you would take such a pedestrian view of your deity and the surrounding theology.

Essentially, what you are saying is that you have more "faith" that the writings of certain men are without error than you do in your own ability to think critically of the deity you choose to worship, an ability, by the way, that I would think a legitimate deity would welcome.
  5. Illinois
    Moves
    30 May '07 22:253 edits
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Based on what you have written here I would consider you to have an above average mind, which makes it all the more unfortunate that you would take such a pedestrian view of your deity and the surrounding theology.

Essentially, what you are saying is that you have more "faith" that the writings of certain men are without error than you do in your own a ...[text shortened]... hoose to worship, an ability, by the way, that I would think a legitimate deity would welcome.
    Essentially, what you are saying is that you have more "faith" that the writings of certain men are without error than you do in your own ability to think critically of the deity you choose to worship, an ability, by the way, that I would think a legitimate deity would welcome.

In the first place, my faith in God did not come as a result of critical thinking. As you are quite aware, if faith were merely an intellectual assent, then it would be well nigh impossible to find any. 🙂 When I first believed in Christ my faith rested in the power of God to raise Christ from the dead; I chose to trust that his power is real and that his promises are real. And I made that choice based on an intuition of the power and integrity of the gospel found in the Gospels.

Since then the Lord has blessed me above and beyond my expectations: he has given me freedom from sin, anxiety, death; deliverance from myself; favor in every step of my life; he blessed me with prosperity, a wife, a daughter, the option to adopt children, the means to bless others financially; in my spirit I experience joy, peace, love, and hope as I walk with Jesus and strive to be righteous for his sake; in him I actively look forward to an eternity in God's kingdom; every day in his presence he showers me with gifts and reveals more of himself. Because of that first leap of faith my life is now filled to overflowing. Despite any and all difficulties the blessed assurance which I have carries me through.

Keep in mind, all without intellectual assent. And since faith is not based on critical thinking, then it is not susceptible to dissolution because of critical thought. Faith endures despite the discrepancies and difficulties present in scripture, because the power of God enlivens it (the same power which raised Christ from the dead).

Even though I am offended and disturbed by the slaughter engaged in by the Israelites at the command of the Lord, and question why it was even necessary, I nevertheless cannot deny the Lord because by doing so I would be denying the new person I am now in Christ (EDIT: Yes, I do believe the author of Joshua and Deuteronomy were telling the truth that God ordered Israel to wipe out those cities. The responsibility rests in God, not men. Of course, you are free to believe as you wish.) If you believe my allegiance to the Lord is tantamount to committing or at least approving of genocide, that is your choice. I claim no such responsibility.

Personally, if being mentally challenged would give me a better chance to find genuine faith, then I would rather be born with down syndrome than with the intellect of a William James Sidis. I'd rather be Corky than Einstein... 🙂
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 May '07 22:57
    [b]Essentially, what you are saying is that you have more "faith" that the writings of certain men are without error than you do in your own ability to think critically of the deity you choose to worship, an ability, by the way, that I would think a legitimate deity would welcome.

In the first place, my faith in God did not come as a result of cri ...[text shortened]... than with the intellect of a William James Sidis. I'd rather be Corky than Einstein... 🙂[/b]
    That sounds so very selfish. As long as things are going well for you and yours, you can ignore your own conscience and shrug off the deaths of thousands?
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    31 May '07 00:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That sounds so very selfish. As long as things are going well for you and yours, you can ignore your own conscience and shrug off the deaths of thousands?
    No, my faith in God is not dependent on whether things are going well for me or not. I never said that. Neither did I say I ignore my conscience nor the problem posed by God's genocidal commands to the Israelites. You seem to think that I've buried my head in the sand, but I haven't. You want me to denounce God because of these issues you've raised, but I tell you--I cant, and I won't.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    31 May '07 02:55
    No, my faith in God is not dependent on whether things are going well for me or not. I never said that. Neither did I say I ignore my conscience nor the problem posed by God's genocidal commands to the Israelites. You seem to think that I've buried my head in the sand, but I haven't. You want me to denounce God because of these issues you've raised, but I tell you--I cant, and I won't.
    I really don't expect anyone to do anything as a result of a conversation on a web forum. I'm just telling you how your words sound from my perspective.

If I thought you weren't bothered by the OT genocides, I would have said that you lacked a conscience. There is a difference.

You took the good things that happened in your life as an affirmation of faith. They do matter. Without them, you would have only the bloody bible stories without the counterbalance of hope and/or happiness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree