1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 00:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Just to qualify what I said there:
    I am not saying "Change all your religious beliefs, they are wrong!"
    I am saying that the people who really 'catch hell' on this forum usually do so because they fail to listen to what other people have to say.
    I agree. I'm not a good listener.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 00:19
    For me the issue is that after these many years I feel the need to take it to a higher level because it seems so stagnant. There are a lot of folks that have left this forum because they grew so weary of the constant bickering with no forward progress.

It has been said that the onus is on the theist to prove the existence of God. If that is true, then I can't do it by myself. If the atheist wants the existence of a creator God proven, then the onus is on the atheist to engage with the theist in his effort.

Biases and subjectivity must be thrown aside, and impersonal objective debate must be pursued, or else let's all just go our way.

Just sayin'!

I hold no animosity toward anyone whatsoever. If I've offended, then shame on me.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 00:49
    Just to qualify what I said there:
    I am not saying "Change all your religious beliefs, they are wrong!"
    I am saying that the people who really 'catch hell' on this forum usually do so because they fail to listen to what other people have to say.
    Typical.

And, also because they persist in their belief, *regardless* of what you, or anyone, has to say to the contrary. Of course, that also makes them stupid, at least according to a majority of those who have these contrary ideas.

Do you really think that people do not suddenly change their mind and adopt *your* ideas simply because they "fail to listen to what other people have to say"? Well, obviously, since it can't be because you're wrong.

Yeah, having an unchanging, strong faith is certainly a reason to "catch hell" in this forum. It happens every day. And it needs to stop.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 00:59
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, I for one won't have it! What is a forum if not for discussion, beratement, pejoratives, and such, and even real debate. I throw anti religious ideas out there but that doesn't mean I think those duped by religion are idiots. Just duped.
    "Just duped"?

Thanks. Thanks for deeply respecting my right to have a belief. Thanks for respecting my right to have a deeply personal and deeply held conviction that is central to my being as a human being. Heaven forbid that I, myself, should NOT feel "duped", but "blessed".

It's crap like this that caused me to stop posting here. The near constant and widely accepted disrespect.

*Pardon me* if I do not share *your* opinion. And btw, it doesn't make me "stupid", either.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 16:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Just duped"?

Thanks. Thanks for deeply respecting my right to have a belief. Thanks for respecting my right to have a deeply personal and deeply held conviction that is central to my being as a human being. Heaven forbid that I, myself, should NOT feel "duped", but "blessed".

It's crap like this that caused me to stop posting here. The near con ...[text shortened]...

*Pardon me* if I do not share *your* opinion. And btw, it doesn't make me "stupid", either.
    Jeez, meant no disrespect. That jibe was aimed at the originators of the religion. All the Abrahamic one. For instance, it would be safe to say the followers of David Koresh were duped, right? That doesn't mean they are stupid, just duped. No offense intended.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 16:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    For me the issue is that after these many years I feel the need to take it to a higher level because it seems so stagnant. There are a lot of folks that have left this forum because they grew so weary of the constant bickering with no forward progress.

It has been said that the onus is on the theist to prove the existence of God. If that is true, then I c ...[text shortened]... ust sayin'!

I hold no animosity toward anyone whatsoever. If I've offended, then shame on me.
    I hope you don't leave; I hope none of us leave. But you and others have a false expectation of what is forum is for or is capable of.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Typical.
    You are an excellent example of what I was talking about. You have a tendency to totally misunderstand what someone said, then go off on a rant. And for that you tend to 'catch hell'. Then instead of realising that it was because of your misunderstanding of the other poster, you act like you were being persecuted for your belief.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:18
    Originally posted by josephw

It has been said that the onus is on the theist to prove the existence of God. If that is true, then I c ...[text shortened]... ust sayin'!

awwww. see, it turns out you are a good christian after all.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:22
    Jeez, meant no disrespect. That jibe was aimed at the originators of the religion. All the Abrahamic one. For instance, it would be safe to say the followers of David Koresh were duped, right? That doesn't mean they are stupid, just duped. No offense intended.
    Why just pick on the Abrahamic religions? Is it because they are the only threats to your worldview of evolution? Especially Christianity, right?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I hope you don't leave; I hope none of us leave. But you and others have a false expectation of what is forum is for or is capable of.
    Clearly. It reminds me of some 'trekkies' brought down to earth by William Shatner who told them to get a life, Star Trek is just a movie. The reason for so much drama here and in peoples personal life is just that, false expectations about a whole lot of things.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:23
    You are an excellent example of what I was talking about. You have a tendency to totally misunderstand what someone said, then go off on a rant. And for that you tend to 'catch hell'. Then instead of realising that it was because of your misunderstanding of the other poster, you act like you were being persecuted for your belief.
    Isn't she?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Isn't she?
    No more, in fact much less so, than a democrat would feel persecuted by a republican in the debates forum.

The problem in this forum is some posters (and especially the cultists members), interpret challenge, argument, and ridicule as a reinforcement they they are somehow chosen by God and that they are being persecuted for it. The JWs and especially Galveston (who is still away with the sulks) are typical of this mind set.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:37
    Isn't she?
    Persecuted. Yeah, thugs are at her door, Leave the faith or we will breakayou head. Pardon me while I barf.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:42
    Why just pick on the Abrahamic religions? Is it because they are the only threats to your worldview of evolution? Especially Christianity, right?
    The abrahamics are the ones causing the most strife in the world. Granted, Hundu's and Buddhists are in there with the violence too but the most people killed for religious reasons is by far from the three Ab religions. Islam terrorists killing young boys for daring to get an education? You think your god would condone that? No it wouldn't. Just more proof your god is on a 2000 year long vacation, doesn't give a rats ass what happens to people on Earth or how many millions get killed. Tough love, I guess you would call it.

If this so-called god is real, it is no god I want to live by.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 17:50
    The abrahamics are the ones causing the most strife in the world. Granted, Hundu's and Buddhists are in there with the violence too but the most people killed for religious reasons is by far from the three Ab religions. Islam terrorists killing young boys for daring to get an education? You think your god would condone that? No it wouldn't. Just more proof ...[text shortened]... ve, I guess you would call it.

If this so-called god is real, it is no god I want to live by.
    My God is not Allah, the god of Islam that has no son and whose prophet is Muhammad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree