1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 22:421 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The abrahamics are the ones causing the most strife in the world. Granted, Hundu's and Buddhists are in there with the violence too but the most people killed for religious reasons is by far from the three Ab religions. Islam terrorists killing young boys for daring to get an education? You think your god would condone that? No it wouldn't. Just more proof ...[text shortened]... ve, I guess you would call it.

If this so-called god is real, it is no god I want to live by.
    Ok, this is just too much.

You'll pardon me if I react to your posts in the Spirituality forum exactly how you react to RJH's posts in the Science forum.

When will it be standard to reject such blatant dung heaps of disrespect?

Your post was "Spiritual" in much the same way that RJH's posts are "Science".

They're certainly not factual.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 22:451 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    No more, in fact much less so, than a democrat would feel persecuted by a republican in the debates forum.

The problem in this forum is some posters (and especially the cultists members), interpret challenge, argument, and ridicule as a reinforcement they they are somehow chosen by God and that they are being persecuted for it. The JWs and especially Galveston (who is still away with the sulks) are typical of this mind set.
    You know, I don't even mind it when your religion is not important enough to you to stand up for, but my religion is a deeply held personal belief. This means people who crap on it, crap on me.

And this is tolerable to you?

Why is it tolerable to ANYone?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 22:58
    Originally posted by josephw

It has been said that the onus is on the theist to prove the existence of God. If that is true, then I can't do it by myself. If the atheist wants the existence of a creator God proven, then the onus is on the atheist to engage with the theist in his effort.
    No. No. And no!

Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that the existence or
    non-existence of a god, Russel's teapot or the FSM cannot be proven.

What annoys atheists is when a god is brought into a debate as a fact
    particulary when it is to justify some antiquated notion of morality.

I have always said I can respect someone who says "I believe in god ...
    I have no reason to - apart from a gut-feeling". But those that have "proof"
    like Turin Shrouds, remains of the Ark or so called witnesses I dismiss.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 23:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No. No. And no!

Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows that the existence or
    non-existence of a god, Russel's teapot or the FSM [b]cannot
    be proven.

What annoys atheists is when a god is brought into a debate as a fact
    particulary when it is to justify some antiquated notion of morality.

I have always said I can respect someon ...[text shortened]... ose that have "proof"
    like Turin Shrouds, remains of the Ark or so called witnesses I dismiss.[/b]
    Maybe, we can't prove God to you, but God exists to us that believe just as much as any fact of science. You can object all you want to me stating God is a fact in the Science Forum and get away with no challenges. However, this is the Spirituality Forum and God is Spirit and Life here.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 23:45
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Maybe, we can't prove God to you, but God exists to us that believe just as much as any fact of science. You can object all you want to me stating God is a fact in the Science Forum and get away with no challenges. However, this is the Spirituality Forum and God is Spirit and Life here.
    When was the last time you heard your alleged god's voice?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 01:36
    When was the last time you heard your alleged god's voice?
    God hasn't spoke to me in an audible voice that I can hear with my ears. But at times I receive feelings that I believe are from God, namely the Holy Ghost and He guides me to the truth.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    God hasn't spoke to me in an audible voice that I can hear with my ears. But at times I receive feelings that I believe are from God, namely the Holy Ghost and He guides me to the truth.
    Good luck with those feelings. You can also get that with magnetic stimulation directly to the brain. Those feelings come from your own self not from a god.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:56
    Good luck with those feelings. You can also get that with magnetic stimulation directly to the brain. Those feelings come from your own self not from a god.
    No you can't.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 08:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You know, I don't even mind it when your religion is not important enough to you to stand up for, but my religion is a deeply held personal belief. This means people who crap on it, crap on me.

It's not that my religion is not worth standing up for; I'll fight tooth and nail over truth in these forums with the cultists and mystics; it's just that I don't care what a bunch of atheists think about me being a theist. In fact if they don't put up a good argument I call them on it - as I have with joe and sonhouse on occasions.

I find the atheist viewpoint challenges my own thinking, it makes me constantly reconsider myself and my wider belief structure and sharpens my sense of what's important - including my relationship with Jesus Christ.

That a atheist calls me a deluded idiot because I'm a theist, says more about the atheist than it says about me, because we are what we do and say, not what we believe.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 09:16
    It's not that my religion is not worth standing up for; I'll fight tooth and nail over truth in these forums with the cultists and mystics; it's just that I don't care what a bunch of atheists think about me being a theist. In fact if they don't put up a good argument I call them on it - as I have with joe and sonhouse on occasions.

I find the atheis ...[text shortened]... about the atheist than it says about me, because we are what we do and say, not what we believe.
    nice post, almost a thumbs-up, but i disagree with your last point. i'd say what we believe is a very important part of who we are.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 10:29
    That a atheist calls me a deluded idiot because I'm a theist, says more about the atheist than it says about me, because we are what we do and say, not what we believe.
    It appears that many people 'say' very differently when they are anonymous on the internet. Are they different people when on the net, or do they show their true selves - and thus what their friends and family think they are is just a front?

I must also add that 'deluded' is not necessarily an insult. You presumably believe atheists (and most theists) are deluded.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 10:44

I find the atheis ...[text shortened]... about the atheist than it says about me, because we are what we do and say, not what we believe.
    Thumbs up!
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 12:54

No, we're crapping only on certain elements of your beleif setReveal Hidden Content
    those that happen to be wrong
    we are not actually crapping on you. Indeed if I am wrong here then one could argue that for anyX's beleif in x, X should take an attack on x as a personal attack on X. But then not only do you crap on the beleif that the earth is six thousand years old (and thus you personally crap on many millions of people that were just minding their own business doing you no harm), more pertinent to this post you crap on the beleif that your beleif shouldn't be crapped on - which means you're crapping on most atheists - in a personal manner!

This would of course make you then a hypocrite and render your objections here completely worthless!

Reveal Hidden Content
    why do you feel compelled to crap on me as a person on the basis that I believe my spelling of a particular word is correct?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 15:20
    Ok, this is just too much.

You'll pardon me if I react to your posts in the Spirituality forum exactly how you react to RJH's posts in the Science forum.

When will it be standard to reject such blatant dung heaps of disrespect?

Your post was "Spiritual" in much the same way that RJH's posts are "Science".

They're [b]certainly
    not factual.[/b]
    Tell me the non-factual part. I just asked why your god would condone the killing of millions of people at least in part rationalized by religion. That seems to me to be a legitimate question.

Your god supposedly got ticked off at least at one time in the past and offed some humans by killing all the land animals on Earth and leaving the survivors, humans included with a crippled gene pool.

So why were the excesses of those humans, which was allegedly enough to REALLY tick off your god, but now in the 19th through the 21st century when literally millions of people have been killed, debauchery unchecked, gays getting legally married, surely all that wasn't in your god's plan?

So why no response now when literally tens of millions of people have died and more to be killed as we speak?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 21:16
    Tell me the non-factual part. I just asked why your god would condone the killing of millions of people at least in part rationalized by religion. That seems to me to be a legitimate question.

Your god supposedly got ticked off at least at one time in the past and offed some humans by killing all the land animals on Earth and leaving the survivors, human ...[text shortened]... ponse now when literally tens of millions of people have died and more to be killed as we speak?
    God brought on the Flood because most men were thinking evil continually. Even though men do many evil things today, they have not gotten to the point of thinking evil continually. But that time is coming because Jesus said that just as in the days of Noah and Sodom and Gomorrah, so shall it be at the coming of the Son of Man.

And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed.

(Luke 17:26-30 NKJV)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree