1. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 May '08 02:12
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It says the sheriff was there ready to arrest the mother!

If McDonald's refuses to allow a black man to eat in their indoor seating area and tells him instead that he must hide around the corner in the bushes and a cook will run his food out to him to eat where he won't make the white customers uncomfortable, would it be more accurate to say that this black man has been denied service or that alternate provisions have been proposed?
    A superb point.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 May '08 02:50
    It says the sheriff was there ready to arrest the mother!

If McDonald's refuses to allow a black man to eat in their indoor seating area and tells him instead that he must hide around the corner in the bushes and a cook will run his food out to him to eat where he won't make the white customers uncomfortable, would it be more accurate to say that this black man has been denied service or that alternate provisions have been proposed?
    The analogy fails, in my opinion. First of all, a church can legally forbid anyone they want from coming to their church, as far as I know. McDonald's couldn't refuse to serve a Mormon, but the Catholic Church could if they wanted not let a Mormon take communion. Given the "black man" example, is it illegal for a church to, for example, only allow white people into their church?
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 May '08 03:51
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    The analogy fails, in my opinion. First of all, a church can legally forbid anyone they want from coming to their church, as far as I know. McDonald's couldn't refuse to serve a Mormon, but the Catholic Church could if they wanted not let a Mormon take communion. Given the "black man" example, is it illegal for a church to, for example, only allow white people into their church?
    I guess the church are breaking disability discrimination laws. You do have those in the US, right?
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    20 May '08 04:51
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I think this would be a good church for this family.
    Or this one, where if the kid hit somebody, the pastor would just sock him back, his momma too probably.

YouTube
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 May '08 05:18
    Or this one, where if the kid hit somebody, the pastor would just sock him back, his momma too probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-QN5BeQC2Y
    So much for turning the other cheek. When a pastor can't manage it, what chance does anyone else have?
  6. Standard memberthyme
    Undutchable
    was here
    Moves
    20 May '08 06:021 edit
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/19/fryer.autistic.boy.banned.kare

Shouldn't it be unconscionable for them to deny such a person Holy Communion? He's just as God made him.
    Hello...he spits and urinates during mass! Even if he were the Prince of Wales he would be denied acces for behaving disruptive. He wasn't denied mass because of what he is, but because of how he behaves. For toddlers who can't behave there's daycare or Sunday school during mass , there should be something similar for him.

Speaking as the mother of an autistic child.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 May '08 06:36
    ...and they brought to Him all sick people who were afflicted with various diseases and torments, and those who were demon-possessed, epileptics, and paralytics...

And he replied, "Get those people out of here before they disrupt my church service!"
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 May '08 06:53
    I actually support the Church. A Church has a right to do something about any member of the congregation that causes problems during the service.
    In the Church I went to as a child it was not unusual for a mother with a crying baby to be asked to leave the building until the baby had stopped crying.
    It appears to me that the real problem in this case was that the parents did not want to negotiate with the Church administration. If the child had been a normal boy but just as much of a trouble maker, it wouldn't have even made the news. Disabled people are given more allowance than others and that is fair but if an insane person goes around killing people, you do not simply say - well hes disabled so let him.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 May '08 07:10
    Originally posted by thyme
    Hello...he spits and urinates during mass! Even if he were the Prince of Wales he would be denied acces for behaving disruptive. He wasn't denied mass because of what he is, but because of how he behaves. For toddlers who can't behave there's daycare or Sunday school during mass , there should be something similar for him.

Speaking as the mother of an autistic child.
    Here's a little church in my neighborhood that he might just fit right in. Do you think these people are "behaving" approapiately?

YouTube&NR=1
  10. Standard memberthyme
    Undutchable
    was here
    Moves
    20 May '08 09:34
    Here's a little church in my neighborhood that he might just fit right in. Do you think these people are "behaving" approapiately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMP-CQ_bvSM&NR=1
    It seems to me that you are not really responding to the problem but rather seem to be enjoying the sensation.

Maybe you should get that mothers phone number and contact her about that church in your little neighborhood.
  11. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    20 May '08 09:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMP-CQ_bvSM&NR=1
    that dude in the red pants can spin rounds prety damn good!

about the autistic kid who isnt alowed in church anymore, its indeed its behavoir that caused it, not just because hes autistic. I dont think even I will be allowed in church when strangling kids there.
  12. England
    Moves
    20 May '08 10:31
    about the autistic kid who isnt alowed in church anymore, its indeed its behavoir that caused it, not just because hes autistic. I dont think even I will be allowed in church when strangling kids there.[/b]
    if this is the case puts a better spin on story, could do with him in my street if he is strangling the kids there.
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    20 May '08 10:58
    Originally posted by thyme
    It seems to me that you are not really responding to the problem but rather seem to be enjoying the sensation.

Maybe you should get that mothers phone number and contact her about that church in your little neighborhood.
    My way of responding to the problem was to show that there are indeed varieties of worship that go beyond what we think of as "normal." I showed an example of the "body of Christ" where people act like they are autistic. The "sensation" that I seem to be enjoying I know not of what you speak. I do however enjoy pointing out the double standard.

Obviously this boy must conform to the standard presented to him instead of the church responding to his unique needs. What a horrible theology and ethic.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 May '08 11:272 edits
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    A superb point.
    Except that 1) the black man presents no threat to other consumers, 2) he does not urinate in the restaurant, and 3) the church tried to accommodate the autistic boy, whereas this black man suffers humiliation.

If a black man went into a restaurant, endangered the people around him, and the restaurant-manager attempted still tried to serve him some other way, I would think that restaurant a noble and charitable institution. It is only unfortunate and sad that its attempts are unsuccessful.

Furthermore, priests in Australia discourage their elderly parishioners from attending church during Summer. The church located in my area has three ambulances sent there last year because elderly people fainted. It is not prejudiced to prohibit the elderly from Mass in such times; it is in their interests. Churches need to ensure the health and safety of those who attend their Masses.
  15. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    20 May '08 11:53
    Originally posted by stoker
    if this is the case puts a better spin on story, could do with him in my street if he is strangling the kids there.
    he only strangles kids when he is forced to go to church, his mom explained lol

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree