1. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    9020
    07 Nov '05 20:031 edit
    Anyone care for a little backpedaling?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

    Some highlights:

    The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

    "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision," they say in The Gift of Scripture.

    They say the Church must offer the gospel in ways "appropriate to changing times, intelligible and attractive to our contemporaries".

    They go on to condemn fundamentalism for its "intransigent intolerance" and to warn of “significant dangers” involved in a fundamentalist approach.

    "Such an approach is dangerous, for example, when people of one nation or group see in the Bible a mandate for their own superiority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    07 Nov '05 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by wib
    Anyone care for a little backpedaling?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

    Some highlights:

    The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

    "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or compl ...[text shortened]... periority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
    There's nothing new here; I was taught the same thing in Catholic grade and high school a long time ago. The title of the thread is misleading, however; the RCC says that the Bible has it was meant is true, but that it was never intended that every word and story in it literally occurred. Think Jesus' parables.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    07 Nov '05 20:16
    Originally posted by wib
    Anyone care for a little backpedaling?

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

    Some highlights:

    The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

    "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or compl ...[text shortened]... periority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
    Clearly the Catholic Church is still correct on a great many things.
  4. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    9020
    07 Nov '05 20:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's nothing new here; I was taught the same thing in Catholic grade and high school a long time ago. The title of the thread is misleading, however; the RCC says that the Bible has it was meant is true, but that it was never intended that every word and story in it literally occurred. Think Jesus' parables.
    Ah I see. So I wonder why they went through the trouble just to publish the same old message? That seems odd.

    Anyway, Jesus Parables. Yeah. Those I do remember from my Baptist days...
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39593
    07 Nov '05 20:53
    Originally posted by wib
    Ah I see. So I wonder why they went through the trouble just to publish the same old message? That seems odd.

    Anyway, Jesus Parables. Yeah. Those I do remember from my Baptist days...
    You gotta do something when you're not getting laid; some people play chess, some people write long documents repeating the same thing they've been saying for years. And, sadly, some of us do both.😞
  6. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    9020
    07 Nov '05 21:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You gotta do something when you're not getting laid; some people play chess, some people write long documents repeating the same thing they've been saying for years. And, sadly, some of us do both.😞
    Welcome to the club. We meet at 7:30 on Wednesdays. I'll make sure you get one of our "cool" jackets.
  7. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36089
    07 Nov '05 22:05
    Originally posted by wib
    Ah I see. So I wonder why they went through the trouble just to publish the same old message? That seems odd.

    Anyway, Jesus Parables. Yeah. Those I do remember from my Baptist days...
    The letter probably emphasised something else the news reporter ignored.
Back to Top