1. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 20:031 edit
    Anyone care for a little backpedaling?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1811332,00.html

Some highlights:

The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

"We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision," they say in The Gift of Scripture.

They say the Church must offer the gospel in ways "appropriate to changing times, intelligible and attractive to our contemporaries".

They go on to condemn fundamentalism for its "intransigent intolerance" and to warn of “significant dangers” involved in a fundamentalist approach.

"Such an approach is dangerous, for example, when people of one nation or group see in the Bible a mandate for their own superiority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by wib

Some highlights:

The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

"We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or compl ...[text shortened]... periority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
    There's nothing new here; I was taught the same thing in Catholic grade and high school a long time ago. The title of the thread is misleading, however; the RCC says that the Bible has it was meant is true, but that it was never intended that every word and story in it literally occurred. Think Jesus' parables.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 20:16
    Originally posted by wib

Some highlights:

"We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or compl ...[text shortened]... periority, and even consider themselves permitted by the Bible to use violence against others."
    Clearly the Catholic Church is still correct on a great many things.
  4. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 20:37
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There's nothing new here; I was taught the same thing in Catholic grade and high school a long time ago. The title of the thread is misleading, however; the RCC says that the Bible has it was meant is true, but that it was never intended that every word and story in it literally occurred. Think Jesus' parables.
    Ah I see. So I wonder why they went through the trouble just to publish the same old message? That seems odd.

Anyway, Jesus Parables. Yeah. Those I do remember from my Baptist days...
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 20:53
    Originally posted by wib
    Ah I see. So I wonder why they went through the trouble just to publish the same old message? That seems odd.

You gotta do something when you're not getting laid; some people play chess, some people write long documents repeating the same thing they've been saying for years. And, sadly, some of us do both.😞
  6. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 21:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You gotta do something when you're not getting laid; some people play chess, some people write long documents repeating the same thing they've been saying for years. And, sadly, some of us do both.😞
    Welcome to the club. We meet at 7:30 on Wednesdays. I'll make sure you get one of our "cool" jackets.
  7. London
    Moves
    07 Nov '05 22:05
    Originally posted by wib

The letter probably emphasised something else the news reporter ignored.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree