1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    23 May '16 18:502 edits
    Having been born into a cult and spending the first 24 years of my life being part of one, I thought I would share this article with those who may find it interesting: I could share some of my own experiences later on for those who may be interested.

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at the core of cultic groups, programs, and relationships. Many members, former members, and supporters of cults are not fully aware of the extent to which members may have been manipulated, exploited, even abused. The following list of social-structural, social-psychological, and interpersonal behavioral patterns commonly found in cultic environments may be helpful in assessing a particular group or relationship.

Compare these patterns to the situation you were in (or in which you, a family member, or friend is currently involved). This list may help you determine if there is cause for concern. Bear in mind that this list is not meant to be a “cult scale” or a definitive checklist to determine if a specific group is a cult. This is not so much a diagnostic instrument as it is an analytical tool.

‪1. The group displays excessively zealous and unquestioning commitment to its leader and (whether he is alive or dead) regards his belief system, ideology, and practices as the Truth, as law.

‪2. Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished.

‪ 3.Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

‪ 4. The leadership dictates, sometimes in great detail, how members should think, act, and feel (for example, members must get permission to date, change jobs, marry—or leaders prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, whether or not to have children, how to discipline children, and so forth).

‪5. The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s) and members (for example, the leader is considered the Messiah, a special being, an avatar—or the group and/or the leader is on a special mission to save humanity).

‪6. The group has a polarized us-versus-them mentality, which may cause conflict with the wider society.
    ‪ The leader is not accountable to any authorities (unlike, for example, teachers, military commanders or ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream religious denominations).

‪ 7. The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify whatever means it deems necessary. This may result in members' participating in behaviors or activities they would have considered reprehensible or unethical before joining the group (for example, lying to family or friends, or collecting money for bogus charities).

8.‪ The leadership induces feelings of shame and/or guilt in order to influence and/or control members. Often, this is done through peer pressure and subtle forms of persuasion.

‪9. Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

10.‪ The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members.

‪11. The group is preoccupied with making money.

12. Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group and group-related activities.

‪ 13.Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members.

‪ 14.The most loyal members the 'true believers' feel there can be no life outside the context of the group. They believe there is no other way to be, and often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    23 May '16 18:53
    The difference between a cult (in the pejorative sense) and a religion is like the difference between a language and a dialect. That is, it is in the political/social power wielded by their adherents.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 May '16 18:58
    Many of the characteristics listed would apply to some extent to almost all religions.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '16 06:291 edit
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Characteristics of a cult
    The word "cult" is a 'damaged' word. It is mostly used to express a gut feeling that a group is perceived negatively or with some suspicion and circumspection, or at least unsympathetically.

Whether a group is perceived this way depends on how its members and their purpose fare in the face of biased or subjective scrutiny of [1] their dogma, [2] their carefully cultivated and self-reinforcing sense of "otherness" and exceptionalism, and [3] the resulting intellectual and interpersonal behavior.

I don't think the word "cult" is much use in a discussion between people who disagree over [1], [2] and [3], aside from how it reveals the hostile gut feelings of the person who uses the word.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '16 09:361 edit
    Having been born into a cult and spending the first 24 years of my life being part of one, I thought I would share this article with those who may find it interesting: I could share some of my own experiences later on for those who may be interested.

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

Concerted efforts at influence and control lie at ...[text shortened]... often fear reprisals to themselves or others if they leave (or even consider leaving) the group.
    Just like Christianity, Judaism, Islam.

It is good you got yourself free from such scams.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 May '16 11:003 edits
    [b]Having been born into a cult and spending the first 24 years of my life being part of one, I thought I would share this article with those who may find it interesting: I could share some of my own experiences later on for those who may be interested.
    I have been accused of being a member of a cult. On this forum i have discussed it.
    One expert on cults said he participated in a "fountainhead of misinformation" for years before he did solid research that changed his mind completely.

Hank Hannagraf who now wear that generic radio title "The Bible Answer Man" taking over from predecessor Walter Martin.

A Brief Affirmation of Nee and Lee

YouTube (Only 4 minutes plus )

Did you ever read about it ?

Here's a PDF for your downloading.
    We Were Wrong

http://www.equipresources.org/site/apps/ka/ec/product.asp?c=muI1LaMNJrE&b=2537845&en=fjJNLXMJIgKMKXOOLlLMJ5OUJqJXL0NFIjI3KaORJtJ9H&ProductID=762607
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    26 May '16 07:47
    Originally posted by sonship
    I have been accused of being a member of a cult. On this forum i have discussed it.
    One expert on cults said he participated in a "fountainhead of misinformation" for years before he did solid research that changed his mind completely.

Hank Hannagraf who now wear that generic radio title [b]"The Bible Answer Man"
    taking over from predecessor Walter M ...[text shortened]... ct.asp?c=muI1LaMNJrE&b=2537845&en=fjJNLXMJIgKMKXOOLlLMJ5OUJqJXL0NFIjI3KaORJtJ9H&ProductID=762607[/b]
    Thanks, found it to be quite interesting.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '16 07:491 edit
    I would have thought that being secretive was a requirement. Having inner sanctums that no one but the initiated can penetrate.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '16 08:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I would have thought that being secretive was a requirement. Having inner sanctums that no one but the initiated can penetrate.
    Just about every single corporate entity that ever existed has had sanctums that cannot be penetrated by outsiders so I don't think it's an especially useful parameter. 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '16 08:131 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Just about every single corporate entity that ever existed has had sanctums that cannot be penetrated by outsiders so I don't think it's an especially useful parameter. 🙂
    we are talking about cults, not corporations or corporate entities. I dismiss your objection on the basis of inaccuracy of statement and the clumsy use of semantics in an attempt to establish a point for many cults do not fit the definition of a corporate entity except by some very broad description.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '16 08:22
    we are talking about cults, not corporations or corporate entities.
    A cult is a corporate entity.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '16 08:29
    I dismiss your objection on the basis of inaccuracy of statement and the clumsy use of semantics in an attempt to establish a point for many cults do not fit the definition of a corporate entity except by some very broad description.
    I think the word "cult" is used to describe groups we disagree with or disapprove of for the reasons I have outlined. I don't think the word has traction on any objective level any longer.

The last time we discussed it, you were desperately trying to squeeze things into the definition so that it would preclude your organization - as well you might, as the word is basically pejorative.

It's a word damaged beyond repair. It's not useful in a discourse except to indicate its user's feeling towards a group. People should just address the elements of corporate and individual behaviour that are objectionable and forget about brandishing the "cult" label.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 May '16 09:032 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    A cult is a corporate entity.
    Now you are simply slobbering copious amounts of drool.

corporation, legal definition. n. an organization formed with state governmental approval to act as an artificial person to carry on business (or other activities).

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Corporate+entity

A corporation is a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation

Clearly many cults operate without authority and outside the remit of law making your assertion that they are corporate entities nonsensical unless of course you have your own definition of a corporate entity which you made up, just now, on the spot.

Can you tell us how a cult like Aum Shinrikyo fulfils the above criteria?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '16 09:26
    FMF: A cult is a corporate entity.

Now you are simply slobbering copious amounts of drool.

corporation, legal definition. n. an organization formed with state governmental approval to act as an artificial person to carry on business (or other activities).
    Yes I know that companies like Apple and Manchester United and Bayer are corporations. That isn't in dispute. I was talking about a "corporate entity" where the word "corporate" means 'pertaining to a united group, as of persons' and 'united or combined into one body or collective'.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '16 09:31
    Clearly many cults operate without authority and outside the remit of law making your assertion that they are corporate entities nonsensical unless of course you have your own definition of a corporate entity which you made up, just now, on the spot.
    I haven't used the word "corporation" but I have used the word "corporate". They are not the same. My assertion that what people may call "cults" are invariably corporate entities is just based on what the words conventionally mean, that's all. Aum Shinrikyo for instance was clearly a corporate entity in so far as it was a united group with members. As I said, people should probably simply address the elements of corporate and individual behaviour that they find objectionable and put aside the brandishing of the pejorative "cult" label

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree