1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18093
    04 Dec '15 12:241 edit
    An article I read this morning got me a little stirred up about what we Christians have come to expect of our president, Barack Obama. It's hard for me to even acknowledge Obama as 'our' president because so much of what he stands for is in direct opposition to what I believe, but he is our president none the less. As a Christian, the bible says we are to pray for our leaders, something I must admit I don't do enough of if ever.

    1 Timothy 2:1-3New
    [i]King James Version (NKJV)[/]
    Pray for All Men

    2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior

    The article I read..

    http://www.youngcons.com/obama-celebrates-50th-anniversary-of-charlie-brown-christmas-totally-leaves-out-part-about-jesus/

    and proceeded to judge the president because he did not mention 'Jesus' with regards to a cartoon, Charlie Brown Christmas. It is not the place of the president to bring Jesus in to the season of Christmas it is the Christian. Furthermore, we are to bring Jesus in to our lives daily and reflect who he is at all times, something I think I need work on... do you? When will we (Christians) stop looking at the president and his shortcomings for not elevating Jesus to where we think he should be elevated to and do it ourselves? He is not God, a god or even a representative of the faith (imo), he is the president. I wonder if we spent the time that we complain about him and prayed for him instead, what things would look like?

    Do other Christians feel the same way?
  2. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    04 Dec '15 13:22
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    An article I read this morning got me a little stirred up about what we Christians have come to expect of our president, Barack Obama. It's hard for me to even acknowledge Obama as 'our' president because so much of what he stands for is in direct opposition to what I believe, but he is our president none the less. As a Christian, the bible says we are t ...[text shortened]... d prayed for him instead, what things would look like?

    Do other Christians feel the same way?
    If you are truly a Christian of the ilk described by Christ and the Apostles then you would not even have started a thread such as this. The celebration of the birthday of Christ is not in any way shape or form, an event recognized by the early Church of the Apostles. Christians are on the contrary required to celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ. Im pretty sure that many dont bother with that. They instead focus on Christmas because it involves worldliness, eating, drinking and merrymaking.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18093
    04 Dec '15 13:491 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If you are truly a Christian of the ilk described by Christ and the Apostles then you would not even have started a thread such as this. The celebration of the birthday of Christ is not in any way shape or form, an event recognized by the early Church of the Apostles. Christians are on the contrary required to celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ. ...[text shortened]... ey instead focus on Christmas because it involves worldliness, eating, drinking and merrymaking.
    The OP is not about celebrating Christmas but about what Christians have come to expect of the president and what he does/does not say with regards to "Christian things" in this case like Christmas. That's all
  4. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    04 Dec '15 14:38
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    The OP is not about celebrating Christmas but about what Christians have come to expect of the president and what he does/does not say with regards to "Christian things" in this case like Christmas. That's all
    Well the answer to your question is that Christians should have no expectations from anyone about Christmas or Christian things on the whole.
  5. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    04 Dec '15 14:42
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    An article I read this morning got me a little stirred up about what we Christians have come to expect of our president, Barack Obama. It's hard for me to even acknowledge Obama as 'our' president because so much of what he stands for is in direct opposition to what I believe, but he is our president none the less. As a Christian, the bible says we are t ...[text shortened]... d prayed for him instead, what things would look like?

    Do other Christians feel the same way?
    I agree... You are a wise man..We are like the whiners and complainers of old testament Israel in the desert, rather than exalt our Lord and being thankful.
  6. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    04 Dec '15 15:48
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    When will we (Christians) stop looking at the president and his shortcomings for not elevating Jesus to where we think he should be elevated to and do it ourselves?
    Given your countries policy of separation of Church and state you should not expect your president to elevate Jesus or in any way try to promote a religion as part of his office. To even label it a 'short coming' seems to me to be overstepping.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18093
    04 Dec '15 16:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given your countries policy of separation of Church and state you should not expect your president to elevate Jesus or in any way try to promote a religion as part of his office. To even label it a 'short coming' seems to me to be overstepping.
    It is not my intention to label anything a shortcoming, but to point out that sometimes we Christians see it as a shortcoming by our responses and actions... we need to do better.

    On the flip side (crack open the can of worms) a representative of a nation that proclaims to be Christian (depending on what poll you look at) should be more representative of the populace that he oversees, but then again... maybe that is exactly what he is.doing.
  8. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    04 Dec '15 16:321 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    An article I read this morning got me a little stirred up about what we Christians have come to expect of our president, Barack Obama. It's hard for me to even acknowledge Obama as 'our' president because so much of what he stands for is in direct opposition to what I believe, but he is our president none the less. As a Christian, the bible says we are t ...[text shortened]... d prayed for him instead, what things would look like?

    Do other Christians feel the same way?
    Its a very interesting topic. As far as I am aware we are under duress to respect the office of rulers although we are under no duress to respect the things they do while in office. Take for example Pauls defense before Festus, Agrippa and Bernice, it is full of respect despite the fact that they were certainly immoral and licentious.
  9. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    04 Dec '15 17:45
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    On the flip side (crack open the can of worms) a representative of a nation that proclaims to be Christian (depending on what poll you look at)
    Many of the nations residents claim to be Christian. The nation itself decidedly does not. In that respect it is better than Zambia which does, as a nation, claim to be Christian (but doesn't act like it).

    should be more representative of the populace that he oversees,
    I disagree that he should be an ambassador for the majority. He should represent everyone. I note that blacks are a minority in the US yet it is not illegal for a black man to be president (nor wrong).

    Obama is Christian and as such I think it reasonable for him to occasionally air his views as a Christian. I do not think however that he should ever use his position to promote his religion in any way.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    04 Dec '15 19:38
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If you are truly a Christian of the ilk described by Christ and the Apostles then you would not even have started a thread such as this. The celebration of the birthday of Christ is not in any way shape or form, an event recognized by the early Church of the Apostles. Christians are on the contrary required to celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ. ...[text shortened]... ey instead focus on Christmas because it involves worldliness, eating, drinking and merrymaking.
    And Merry Christmas to you, too, Ebenezer.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    05 Dec '15 01:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given your countries policy of separation of Church and state you should not expect your president to elevate Jesus or in any way try to promote a religion as part of his office. To even label it a 'short coming' seems to me to be overstepping.
    Obama has not held back much on promoting Islam as a religion greater than all others.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    05 Dec '15 08:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Obama has not held back much on promoting Islam as a religion greater than all others.
    No behavior is below you Republicans. Obama, as the president of a world power, as a matter of course has to be sensitive to alienating large groups of people and in fact, as a Christian, he understands the application of the Golden Rule. But just because he doesn't denigrate Islam the way you and your cronies (Trump included) would, then you go all the way to the other extreme and claim that he's promoting Islam, just to try and present him in a negative light. Not very Christian of you.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35529
    05 Dec '15 16:511 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    An article I read this morning got me a little stirred up about what we Christians have come to expect of our president, Barack Obama. It's hard for me to even acknowledge Obama as 'our' president because so much of what he stands for is in direct opposition to what I believe, but he is our president none the less. As a Christian, the bible says we are t ...[text shortened]... d prayed for him instead, what things would look like?

    Do other Christians feel the same way?
    “Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about. Lights please!

    And there were, in the same country, shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid.

    And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not! For behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord! And this shall be a sign unto you -- ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.'

    And suddenly, there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, goodwill toward men.'

    That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18093
    05 Dec '15 17:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    “Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about. Lights please!

    And there were, in the same country, shepherds, abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them, and they were sore afraid.

    And the angel said unto them, 'Fear no ...[text shortened]... nd on earth, peace, goodwill toward men.'

    That’s what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.”
    Very nice!
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    08 Dec '15 06:02
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No behavior is below you Republicans. Obama, as the president of a world power, as a matter of course has to be sensitive to alienating large groups of people and in fact, as a Christian, he understands the application of the Golden Rule. But just because he doesn't denigrate Islam the way you and your cronies (Trump included) would, then you go all the w ...[text shortened]... romoting[/i] Islam, just to try and present him in a negative light. Not very Christian of you.
    Obama has no problem with alienating Christians. I don't see what he is doing is being sensitive to Christians when he ignores the fact that Muslims are beheading Christians in the Middle East.
Back to Top