1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:101 edit
    I just microwaved myself a Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pie. They are very tasty.

1) Do I deserve this pleasure more than, say, a starving African child? If not, why am I allowed this pleasure while the child is denied it?

2) Are the Utilitarian concepts of pleasure/happiness and pain/unhappiness in any way related to Good and Evil?

3) Is there any reason we should choose Good over Evil?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I just microwaved myself a Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pie. They are very tasty.

1) Do I deserve this pleasure more than, say, a starving African child? If not, why am I allowed this pleasure while the child is denied it?

2) Are the Utilitarian concepts of pleasure/happiness and pain/unhappiness in any way related to Good and Evil?

1) no... you don't deserve it. you should've sent it to Africa.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:20

1) Yes
    2) No, other than colloquially
    3) N/A (see 2)
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 11:31
    you could just send 10% to Africa. i think that's o.k.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 13:02

About 4 years ago I was very priviledged to meet the lady who invented the chicken pot pie. She lived in Louisville, KY. I don't recall any of your questions concerning her so go eat your pot pie in peace.

Also, she said she never got any royalties from Marie Callender or any other maker of chicken pot pies.
  6. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 13:53

1. Eat your pie. You deserve it, because you worked for it. It's not your fault the starving kids in Africa don't have jobs. It's not your fault they are in rags while a foundation ships a filming crew overseas, or the spokesperson for this foundation is walking through filth in dress clothes. Enjoy.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 19:01
    1) Do I deserve this pleasure more than, say, a starving African child?
    I find it morally reprehensible to even consider someone partaking any child. You should stick with the CPP and other food stuffs.

They are all in this together.

Depends on how you choose to live your life, your goals, aspirations, etc. In the 'good and evil' system, its the equivalent of Ford v GM: both can help you through life, neither get you to heaven.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 21:14
    Not a single serious answer. Are you all incapable of answering these questions seriously?
  9. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 21:17
    Not a single serious answer. Are you all incapable of answering these questions seriously?
    My answer was serious. Eat your pie. You earned it, they didn't. It's dog eat dog. Only the strong survive. Survival of the fittest. Whatever cliche you feel like putting in here.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 21:25

1: Its not a matter of 'allowed' or 'denied'. it's situational. Its circumstance that you get it and she doesn't.

2: Same as question # 1, matter of circumstance.
    Deserving pleasure is something maybe a committee would make judgement on or a god if one was handy but no-one can just arbitrarily say one person 'deserves' pleasure more than another, except by the mores of the peoples involved and they may differ widely, since you are in the west, and the girl is in some tribe in africa, the word 'deserves' would have totally differant meanings, So its a subjective measurement. One persons good may be another persons evil.

3: We of course would choose good over evil but those are subjective values so like in #2, what is good to one may be evil to another.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 23:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    1: Its not a matter of 'allowed' or 'denied'. it's situational. Its circumstance that you get it and she doesn't.

2: Same as question # 1, matter of circumstance.
    Deserving pleasure is something maybe a committee would make judgement on or a god if one was handy but no-one can just arbitrarily say one person 'deserves' pleasure more than another, e ...[text shortened]... those are subjective values so like in #2, what is good to one may be evil to another.
    OK, thanks. Do any theists want to tackle these questions?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '06 23:34
    Already did.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 03:071 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Already did.
    Well, I don't understand your answers. Would you clarify them?
  14. Joined
    10 Mar '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    My answer was serious. Eat your pie. You earned it, they didn't. It's dog eat dog. Only the strong survive. Survival of the fittest. Whatever cliche you feel like putting in here.
    there is no survival of the fittest with humanity. those african children are a thousand times tougher and more adaptable than you. you just happen to have been born in an industrialized country which is your good luck. i could go beat a dozen individuals to death before i was stopped but this physical advatange of mine means nothing because of the social institutions that we have established.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Mar '06 04:30
    Originally posted by nomind
    there is no survival of the fittest with humanity. those african children are a thousand times tougher and more adaptable than you. you just happen to have been born in an industrialized country which is your good luck. i could go beat a dozen individuals to death before i was stopped but this physical advatange of mine means nothing because of the social institutions that we have established.
    Natural Selection acts on humans just as it does any other organism. For example, people born with genetically deficient immune systems will tend not to reproduce as well as others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree