Children and Religion

Children and Religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Stay outta my biznez

Moves
08 Nov 05

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Holy Cow this makes me crazy. I do not have kids of my own so some of you will dismiss me out of hand but I was a kid not long ago and feel I can speak with modest authority on this subject.

Look, you are her father, tell her what you believe and for God's sake don't hide your opinions about things from her. If you are Catholic take her to mass, if ...[text shortened]... rted to where I am now? No...but should it have been? I would not change a thing.

TheSkipper
I agree with Skipper. I experienced exactly the same situation and ended up in the same place.

f

Moves
08 Nov 05

I gotta agree with Skipper here too

m
Sinner

Where I belong

Moves
08 Nov 05

First of all I think spirituality is a deeply personal decision that everyone struggles to come to terms with at some point in life. We were raised in a loving home where we were told stories from the bible, noahs ark ect. and were familair with songs such as Jesus loves me. We never went to church as kids so weren't influenced by the religous aspects of faith. We were taught honesty and goodness were more important than money and that what goes around comes around in all aspects of life. When it came to questions on God, Jesus and other religions our parents were always encouraging to provide answers or point us in the right direction. I think the benefits of this have provided me with objectivity in searching for my own truths.

With my own children I have chosen to have them in a catholic school, even though we aren't catholic, just to provide them with a fundamental knowledge of the predominant religion as such. It provides them with a background for asking questions that they have. They come home and will discuss what was said in school and ask me my views and are given more information to form their own opinions. Their father is of a complete different spectrum of religion being of Native indian decent. So they aren't taught what's right or what's wrong more so than this is one way of looking at it, this is another.

I think that ulitmately knowledge is power. A wider range of beliefs as opposed to just one set strict narrow view will provide children with the tools they'll need to walk their own spiritual path. If your wanting your daughter to have the option of making her own decisions then you need to establish as basis for those decisions early on. I feel this is through early exposure to all different aspects of all different faiths and religions. There is no right and wrong when it comes to inner peace of mind body and soul.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
08 Nov 05

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Holy Cow this makes me crazy. I do not have kids of my own so some of you will dismiss me out of hand but I was a kid not long ago and feel I can speak with modest authority on this subject.

Look, you are her father, tell her what you believe and for God's sake don't hide your opinions about things from her. If you are Catholic take her to mass, if ...[text shortened]... rted to where I am now? No...but should it have been? I would not change a thing.

TheSkipper
Yep, what he says