1. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41973
    14 Aug '07 18:52
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/


    Funny I've seen no uproar about this abuse of power, proof that true pacifism has no place in todays society. . . The squeeky wheel yadda yadda yadda.

    Any comments ?
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    14 Aug '07 19:01
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/


    Funny I've seen no uproar about this abuse of power, proof that true pacifism has no place in todays society. . . The squeeky wheel yadda yadda yadda.

    Any comments ?
    I hate those Buddhists, always reincarnating when no one wants them to. It's a public hazard I tells ya.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    274
    14 Aug '07 22:06
    I find it interesting that

    According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace [reincarnation] as their favored end-of-life view.


    Isn't this utterly contrary to the Christan religion's view on how life works?

    --- Penguin.
  4. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41973
    14 Aug '07 22:33
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I find it interesting that

    According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace [reincarnation] as their favored end-of-life view.


    Isn't this utterly contrary to the Christan religion's view on how life works?

    --- Penguin.
    And there i thought the major human rights abuse was the talking point of the piece....how wrong can a man be 😛
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    435
    15 Aug '07 01:491 edit
    Yes, belief in reincarnation is incompatible with (biblical) Christian faith.

    And China's brutality seems to have no end.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    15 Aug '07 02:30
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I find it interesting that

    According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace [reincarnation] as their favored end-of-life view.


    Isn't this utterly contrary to the Christan religion's view on how life works?

    --- Penguin.
    Californians at least just love to mix and match their religions. I knew a guy who as a Jewish Christian Buddhist etc. etc. etc.
  7. Subscriberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Joined
    12 Oct '05
    Moves
    41973
    15 Aug '07 03:39
    This move is like The E.U telling the vatican that it can not choose the next pope without first consulting brussels.
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    274
    15 Aug '07 09:513 edits
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    And there i thought the major human rights abuse was the talking point of the piece....how wrong can a man be 😛
    Well, indeed, if the Chinese government could enforce the ban, it probably would be an abuse of the dalai lama's human rights. But I would have thought that no buddhist would believe the ruling enforcable. How are they going to stop him?

    Out of interest, what is the normal mechanism for [choosing the next / finding the reincarnated] Dalai Lama?

    --- Penguin.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    15 Aug '07 11:52
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/


    Funny I've seen no uproar about this abuse of power, proof that true pacifism has no place in todays society. . . The squeeky wheel yadda yadda yadda.

    Any comments ?
    Wish they would ban lead paint.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    17 Aug '07 07:58
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Isn't this utterly contrary to the Christan religion's view on how life works?

    --- Penguin.
    Origen believed in a kind of reincarnation, I think. Spirituality's all about politics.
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    17 Aug '07 08:281 edit
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Well, indeed, if the Chinese government could enforce the ban, it probably would be an abuse of the dalai lama's human rights. But I would have thought that no buddhist would believe the ruling enforcable. How are they going to stop him?

    Out of interest, what is the normal mechanism for [choosing the next / finding the reincarnated] Dalai Lama?

    --- Penguin.
    They show kids the old Dalai Lama's stuff and look for signs of familiarity.

    I suppose if the monks declare an unapproven child then China will imprison him.
Back to Top