1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 18:52
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20227400/site/newsweek/

Funny I've seen no uproar about this abuse of power, proof that true pacifism has no place in todays society. . . The squeeky wheel yadda yadda yadda.

Any comments ?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 19:01
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound

Funny I've seen no uproar about this abuse of power, proof that true pacifism has no place in todays society. . . The squeeky wheel yadda yadda yadda.

Any comments ?
    I hate those Buddhists, always reincarnating when no one wants them to. It's a public hazard I tells ya.
  3. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 22:06
    I find it interesting that

According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace [reincarnation] as their favored end-of-life view.

Isn't this utterly contrary to the Christan religion's view on how life works?

--- Penguin.
  4. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Aug '07 22:33
    Originally posted by Penguin

According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 20 percent of all U.S. adults believe in reincarnation. Recent surveys by the Barna Group, a Christian research nonprofit, have found that a quarter of U.S. Christians, including 10 percent of all born-again Christians, embrace [reincarnation] as their favored end-of-life view.

--- Penguin.
    And there i thought the major human rights abuse was the talking point of the piece....how wrong can a man be 😛
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 01:491 edit
    Yes, belief in reincarnation is incompatible with (biblical) Christian faith.

And China's brutality seems to have no end.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 02:30

--- Penguin.
    Californians at least just love to mix and match their religions. I knew a guy who as a Jewish Christian Buddhist etc. etc. etc.
  7. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 03:39
    This move is like The E.U telling the vatican that it can not choose the next pope without first consulting brussels.
  8. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 09:513 edits
    And there i thought the major human rights abuse was the talking point of the piece....how wrong can a man be 😛
    Well, indeed, if the Chinese government could enforce the ban, it probably would be an abuse of the dalai lama's human rights. But I would have thought that no buddhist would believe the ruling enforcable. How are they going to stop him?

Out of interest, what is the normal mechanism for [choosing the next / finding the reincarnated] Dalai Lama?

--- Penguin.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Aug '07 11:52

Any comments ?
    Wish they would ban lead paint.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 07:58

--- Penguin.
    Origen believed in a kind of reincarnation, I think. Spirituality's all about politics.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Aug '07 08:281 edit
    Well, indeed, if the Chinese government could enforce the ban, it probably would be an abuse of the dalai lama's human rights. But I would have thought that no buddhist would believe the ruling enforcable. How are they going to stop him?

Out of interest, what is the normal mechanism for [choosing the next / finding the reincarnated] Dalai Lama?

--- Penguin.
    They show kids the old Dalai Lama's stuff and look for signs of familiarity.

I suppose if the monks declare an unapproven child then China will imprison him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree