1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 May '17 23:49
    Does that make sense to you? Is it best to decide that difficult decisions should be the hard way? Is it best to never be comfortable?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 May '17 18:50
    Originally posted by apathist
    Does that make sense to you? Is it best to decide that difficult decisions should be the hard way? Is it best to never be comfortable?
    Does that make sense to you?

That depends on exactly what you mean.

Is it best to decide that difficult decisions should be the hard way?

I'm having difficulty deciding what you mean by "the hard way".

Is it best to never be comfortable?

Comfortable in what way? Emotionally? Psychologically? Physically?

When I approach a task I usually tackle the most difficult aspects of it first. For example; when I build a structure I lay in the foundation first. That's basically where the hardest work is.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 May '17 01:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    When I approach a task I usually tackle the most difficult aspects of it first. For example; when I build a structure I lay in the foundation first. That's basically where the hardest work is.
    So do you think it would be easier to install the windows and doors first, and maybe the electrics and water pipes, before moving on to the roof and leave the foundations till last?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 May '17 21:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    So do you think it would be easier to install the windows and doors first, and maybe the electrics and water pipes, before moving on to the roof and leave the foundations till last?
    You been talking to my builder?
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    11 May '17 23:21
    Goal?
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 May '17 01:221 edit
    It's not obvious what you are talking about. A difficult decision is a decision which is close. What I think you might mean is a decision between two alternatives where one has an immediate payoff but potentially comes with long term problems and an option which involves a potentially tenuous long term payoff.

Assuming that is what you mean then there is something about human psychology which insists that any worthwhile long term goal has to involve short term hardships. The short term hardships provide a proof that the long term advantage exists. The logic is spurious, however try promising an easy path to eternal life and you'll get surprisingly few followers.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '17 01:40
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The logic is spurious, however try promising an easy path to eternal life and you'll get surprisingly few followers.
    I disagree. There are countless millions of 'Once Saved Always Saved' Christians in the world (who are amply represented on this forum) and theirs is undoubtedly an 'easy path to eternal life'-type theology.

Essentially, it simply involves thinking (and declaring) stuff about themselves and thinking stuff about God, and goes to great lengths to downplay harder and more difficult-to-do stuff like 'living a good life' and 'doing good works' and sacrificing oneself for others.

They even have all manner of 'intellectual' arguments to convince themselves that their "sins" do not matter and that their eternal life is guaranteed.

Talk-the-talk Christianity appears to be a lot more popular than walk-the-walk Christianity.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 May '17 01:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I disagree. There are countless millions of 'Once Saved Always Saved' Christians in the world (who are amply represented on this forum) and theirs is undoubtedly an 'easy path to eternal life'-type theology.

Essentially, it simply involves thinking (and declaring) stuff about themselves and thinking stuff about God, and goes to great lengths to downplay hard ...[text shortened]...

Talk-the-talk Christianity appears to be a lot more popular than walk-the-walk Christianity.
    It seems so easy because you think that what appears to be the final disposition is what it's all about.
    It's not.
    When we wake up, we will realize 'this': this life, this plane, this existence was nothing more than the unclear thought, the barely-recalled dream to 'that' reality.
    Salvation just gets you in the door.
    What comes next is the real fun.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 May '17 02:031 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    It seems so easy because you think that what appears to be the final disposition is what it's all about.
    It's not.
    When we wake up, we will realize 'this': this life, this plane, this existence was nothing more than the unclear thought, the barely-recalled dream to 'that' reality.
    Salvation just gets you in the door.
    What comes next is the real fun.
    This sounds like an attempt to 'big up' your 'easy path' superstitions with some pretentious waffle.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 May '17 17:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    This sounds like an attempt to 'big up' your 'easy path' superstitions with some pretentious waffle.
    That's only because your ears are stopped up.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 May '17 17:241 edit
    That's only because your ears are stopped up.
    And probably because he is incapable of making a decision, he is waiting for another realization to occur.
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 May '17 17:31
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's not obvious what you are talking about. A difficult decision is a decision which is close. ...
    Talk therapy bs. I'm there, I'm in this, so I listen, but this instruction doesn't feel right. I get that we should push against our comfort zone, but I don't accept that the harsher the option, the more we should chase it.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 May '17 17:41
    Goal?
    Does it matter? Why? We have to deal with life with a plan. How would you weight the op instruction?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 May '17 21:19
    Does it matter? Why? We have to deal with life with a plan. How would you weight the op instruction?
    It wasn't intentionally cryptic, but I can certainly flesh it out.

What is the ultimate goal which would assume the hardest path is the only route?
  15. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 May '17 23:50
    It wasn't intentionally cryptic, but I can certainly flesh it out.

What is the ultimate goal which would assume the hardest path is the only route?
    I fuss against the idea that the hard way is the only way where we should move. So we agree? I don't care about your question, I just want to win the battle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree