1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 15:24
    Paolo Boi, the Sicilian, was the strongest chessplayer of 16th century. He was tall and good natured and kind, and he was a very good Christian too; Pope Pius V offered him many privileges should he accepted to become a priest, however the Sicilian declined.

Boi travelled a lot. He won many strong players like Lopez and Theron, and he spent 20 years living like a king at the palaces of the most powerful European kings.
    One day, when he was in Venice, he was loosing constantly games from a much weaker player, and he sensed that a supernatural power was blocking his ability to play accurately; before the next game he went to the church, he took the holy communion and a blessed talisman, and he won at every next game his opponent without the slightest difficulty. His opponent told him:
    -- "Oh well, your talisman is stronger than mine!"

Unfortunately, whilst Boi was returning back home he was captured by Algerian pirates, but soon he was free again because he earned a fortune for his master by winning big betting chess games.

In 1570 Boi was enjoying a perfect day at a small Calabrian village walking in piece and heading as normally to the church -and in front of the church he saw the most beautiful woman of the world; he saluted her kindly, and soon he discovered that the lady with them tricky puzzling eyes was playing chess too, and she was insisting to face him with the Black! The battle was fierce, but Boi played with perfect accuracy, and when they reached this position he was ready to checkmate the lady in two.

2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 15:25
    However, when he went to play, he saw in terror his Queen turning in front of his eyes into black.
    "Oh Paolo, now you cannot win me, for I have a Queen but you don't", she told him smiling.
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 15:32
    Boi praised to his Lord to help him, and soon he realized that he still had a winning position in two! But when he raised his head from the chessboard he saw the lady evaporating in front of his eyes.

However, at the same time he realised that the "lady" had turned the position into an unsolvable problem: the whole position was moved a whole file to the right (the a file became b file etc).
    😵
  4. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 15:50
    Actually, the white Bishop, the white Knight and the white e pawn remain at b8, c7 and e7 respectively; the rest position has to be moved one file to the left, and then the solution is quite easy;
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 17:33
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Actually, the white Bishop, the white Knight and the white e pawn remain at b8, c7 and e7 respectively; the rest position has to be moved one file to the left, and then the solution is quite easy;
    Both 'wrong' diagrams are solved very simply: 1.Ne6+ Kg4 2.Rxe4#
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 17:57
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Both 'wrong' diagrams are solved very simply: 1.Ne6+ Kg4 2.Rxe4#
    Yepppers🙂

I was told this story about Boi today, and I decided that I had to share it at Spirituality instead of the Chess Only forum😵

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree