1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 08:191 edit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_denomination

The Christian Church is called the body of Christ. Just like any body, it is made of many parts that specialize in differnt fucntions, but operate to obtain ONE goal.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 11:531 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds

The Christian Church is called the body of Christ. Just like any body, it is made of many parts that specialize in differnt fucntions, but operate to obtain ONE goal.
    Denominations reflect the fact that all religions, since time immemorial, have been and continue

to be manmade. Christianity, by contrast, is an everlasting personal relationship with God.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 13:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Denominations reflect the fact that all religions, since time immemorial, have been and continue

to be manmade. Christianity, by contrast, is an everlasting personal relationship with God.
    It is only a matter of perspective my friend. It is like saying that the glass is half empty or half full. Christian denominations reflect that Christ's Church on Earth is made up of wheat and chaff and will countinue that way until the harvest.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 13:331 edit

It is only a matter of perspective my friend. It is like saying that the glass is half empty or half full. Christian denominations reflect that Christ's Church on Earth is made up of wheat and chaff and will countinue that way until the harvest.
    Wrong, R.J. Dead wrong. The Body of Christ within The Dispensation of Grace or Church Age is comprised exclusively of human beings who have (through faith alone in Christ alone) freely accepted his gracious gift and, in so doing, become permanent members of His Royal Family. Manmade Religious Denominations play no role whatsoever. NT doesn't authorize any such fragmentation.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 14:48
    Wrong, R.J. Dead wrong. The Body of Christ within The Dispensation of Grace or Church Age is comprised exclusively of human beings who have (through faith alone in Christ alone) freely accepted his gracious gift and, in so doing, become permanent members of His Royal Family. Manmade Religious Denominations play no role whatsoever. NT doesn't authorize any such fragmentation.
    It matters not whether or not any fragmentation is authorized; it happens and is therefore provided for, because Christ is not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water, as you seem so quick to do. 😏
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 15:122 edits

It matters not whether or not any fragmentation is authorized; it happens and is therefore provided for, because Christ is not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water, as you seem so quick to do. 😏
    "It matters not whether..." What is 'it'?

If you mean fragmentation you are more in darkness than I thought. God is the author of unity, wholeness, oneness. Fragmentation gradually happens when we screw up.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 15:40

Perhaps you titled the thread incorrectly. You should have left out "Denominations" and just called it the "Church" The body of Christ.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 22:51
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Perhaps you titled the thread incorrectly. You should have left out "Denominations" and just called it the "Church" The body of Christ.
    One nice thing about this forum is that it's mostly thumbs down free.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Sep '12 22:55
    One nice thing about this forum is that it's mostly thumbs down free.
    🙂
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 01:514 edits
    The true Church is made up of wheat, and wheat only. The congregations that make up your every Sunday churches? Well that's a different story altogether, as you know, my friend!

I don't mind the multiple denominations, as long as each denomination is grounded wholly and explicitly to what it contained in the bible. No book, bible, whatever, could possibly say what to do any any possible situation so there comes the "fragmentation."

I myself hold tight and fast to the Reformed Christian Doctrine mostly because of my own personal experiences. Everything contained within that doctrine rings completely true to me. It is the one denomination, in my opinion, above all, that holds Scripture and logic as its 2 principle tenets; read the Scriptures in their entirety and context; then conclude using logic, what is correct.

For example: If God is truly what all Christian denominations say... omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, knowing everything that ever happened and everything that ever will happen... then it is logical--put those emotions and wishes aside--to conclude that everything ever done and everything that ever will be done, is done with His divine permission and blessing. Yes, that opens up a huge can of worms so I'll add to it (in preparation for those imminent attacks as a disclaimer) that part of God's blessing can also be a curse.. and we are indeed, if the bible is true, living under the greatest curses of curses and will until that great and terrible day Jesus spoke about. Reformed Theology teaches this but most other denominations are bitter against this teaching... it's too "cold" for them to brace it. Too "cold" to imagine that all of this--good or bad--works toward the pleasure of our completely sovereign Lord.

Getting back to the subject of denominations. There is no problem with competing doctrines, as long as we are competing with each other over the secondary stuff that the bible doesn't explicitly cover.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 05:341 edit
    Originally posted by sumydid
    The true Church is made up of wheat, and wheat only. The congregations that make up your every Sunday churches? Well that's a different story altogether, as you know, my friend!

I don't mind the multiple denominations, as long as each denomination is grounded wholly and explicitly to what it contained in the bible. No book, bible, whatever, could possi ng with each other over the secondary stuff that the bible doesn't explicitly cover.
    John the Baptist said, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.
    (Matthew 3:11-12 NKJV)

The world is full of many forms of false religious beleifs. And within Christianity there are many denominations that contain true believers and those that only pretend to believe. These false religions and their followers are easy to identify. However, it will take Christ to separate the true believers from the pretenders in the denominations of Christianity. It is like separating the wheat from the chaff in the field of the world.

P.S. IMO, each denomination emphasizes a certain aspect of Christianity more than another. False teachers have entered the Chruch and drawn some away into heretical beliefs, like that done by Charles Taze Russell and Joseph Smith. Each denonination carries some truth and some error, but is not enough to be declared heretical.
  12. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 05:563 edits
    John the Baptist said, "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn u ach denonination carries some truth and some error, but is not enough to be declared heretical.
    Gotcha and well said. I guess I'm being too technical, but in the actual Church--the Body of Christ--in the truest sense of the word--there could only be wheat because any chaff that exists wouldn't be part of the Body to begin with.

But it's a point not really worth arguing, especially with a good brother such as yourself. I think you understand what I'm saying and again, I'm just being too technical.
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 05:591 edit
    *error*
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 06:10
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Gotcha and well said. I guess I'm being too technical, but in the actual Church--the Body of Christ--in the truest sense of the word--there could only be wheat because any chaff that exists wouldn't be part of the Body to begin with.

But it's a point not really worth arguing, especially a good brother such as yourself. I think you understand what I'm saying and again, I'm just being too technical.
    Perhaps I could put my ideas and thoughts better, but I'm trying to do my best. After all, I am just a redneck. We imperfect humans represent the body of Christ until He returns for His bride that has made herself ready. Each of us must grow and mature in Christ just like a kernel of wheat.

15. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    30 Sep '12 06:192 edits
    Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

One of my favorites.

The movie gives us a sobering glimpse into the future... over a long period of time, the sophisticated, educated suburbanites quit propagating because they don't have time for children. Meanwhile, the rednecks keep spittin' out kids by the millions. Finally, the entire country is run by rednecks.

It's a hilarious premise. I remember a scene where huge skyscrapers were partially collapsed, leaning on each other, and held together by duct tape.

It's good to be a redneck. I was born in Dixie and that's where my heart will always be, though I hang my hat in Texas for now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree