1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:23
    Originally posted by vivify
    How do you expect them to keep a theme park running if they don't charge?
    So it's purpose is not to promote the gospel of Jesus Christ? It's just a business?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    To charge people to hear the Christian gospel is reprehensible, in my opinion.

Ahh, but it's not your Christian gospel, these people clearly believe in a radically different 'Christianity'
    than the one you believe in. Which is why it's best to think of it [legally] as a separate religion, like
    Scientology.

And if it is indeed a d ...[text shortened]... t is it legally that makes this clearly different from a church where discrimination is allowed?
    No they don't. Please explain how what they believe is "radically different" to what I believe?

It's not best to think of it as a separate religion in my opinion. You of course can think of it any way you choose.

I believe in giving charities tax breaks, not religions. Not any religions, including Christianity. If it is a business then it pays tax and is subject to tax and employment laws. One of the indicators that it is a business is charging these poor American saps to get in!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:30
    Christians. The good news of Jesus Christ and/or the powers of the spirit, should not be sold for profit. There is sound scripture supporting this. Ken Ham has lost his way.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So it's purpose is not to promote the gospel of Jesus Christ? It's just a business?
    Obviously, an evangelical organization named "Answers in Genesis" that regularly promotes creationism isn't opening a "Noah's Ark" theme park "just" for business.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:443 edits
    Christians. The good news of Jesus Christ and/or the powers of the spirit, should not be sold for profit. There is sound scripture supporting this. Ken Ham has lost his way.
    Maybe this is merely a creative way to spread the Gospel? Something fun, rather than preaching on the street?

By your logic, there should be no evangelical Christian music, books or movies available to the public, unless they're completely free.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 19:25
    I have to agree with the first part of your statement. I am not read up on Ken Ham however so I don't really feel qualified to make a judgement.

This reminds me of books about the end of the world which come out every now and again. If the world is ending why sell a book, better to find a way to give it away thus impacting more people about the end then making a profit.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 21:31
    Maybe this is merely a creative way to spread the Gospel? Something fun, rather than preaching on the street?

By your logic, there should be no evangelical Christian music, books or movies available to the public, unless they're completely free.
    This is not "fun" they are trying to raise 33,000,000. Wake up!

That's right. I don't believe anything which promoted the gospel should be sold for money unless it's printing costs for the Bible, and even then it is questionable in terms of profit.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 21:32
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    I have to agree with the first part of your statement. I am not read up on Ken Ham however so I don't really feel qualified to make a judgement.

This reminds me of books about the end of the world which come out every now and again. If the world is ending why sell a book, better to find a way to give it away thus impacting more people about the end then making a profit.
    The gospel of Jesus Christ is so simple people cannot believe it, and it is so free people cannot buy it.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 21:37
    This is not "fun" they are trying to raise 33,000,000. Wake up!

That's right. I don't believe anything which promoted the gospel should be sold for money unless it's printing costs for the Bible, and even then it is questionable in terms of profit.
    Okay. Your personal beliefs aside, they are a Christian organization with the goal of spreading Christianity. That makes them a religious organization.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 09:201 edit
    Okay. Your personal beliefs aside, they are a Christian organization with the goal of spreading Christianity. That makes them a religious organization.
    Than I ask you again, if they are "spreading the gospel" by means of the ark venture, why are they charging to hear it?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 09:26
    Obviously, an evangelical organization named "Answers in Genesis" that regularly promotes creationism isn't opening a "Noah's Ark" theme park "just" for business.
    Im not questioning there spectrum of motives, I'm questioning whether or not it is a for profit business. Clearly it is primarily a for profit business and therefore subject to business tax, employment laws and other corporate legislation. Do you not agree with this? Do you think they should be permitted to make millions of dollars in profit by charging people to get into a theme park and be allowed to hide behind a "religious" status?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 09:28
    Do any Christians here think Ken Ham is operating righteously by making millions in sales and profits, charging for entry to hear and alleged Christian message in a theme park, discriminate on recruitment and claim millions in tax relief?
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 11:54
    Im not questioning there spectrum of motives, I'm questioning whether or not it is a for profit business. Clearly it is primarily a for profit business and therefore subject to business tax, employment laws and other corporate legislation. Do you not agree with this? Do you think they should be permitted to make millions of dollars in profit by charging people to get into a theme park and be allowed to hide behind a "religious" status?
    That's a completely different topic. I already stated that I don't think religious organizations should get tax breaks. There's no reason for it. But as for if they should be allowed to profit: why not?

Getting back to the OP, they should be allowed to hire all Christians, given the evangelical nature of their business. Since they may want their employees to share their faith with the public, or maybe even pray with them, the only way they can do this without trampling on their employees rights is by employing only Christians.

If this was a Christian-owned cake shop with the goal of selling cake, then it would be different. This is a religious organization with religious motives opening a religious theme park. If they make millions from this theme park, it still wouldn't change this fact.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 11:55
    Than I ask you again, if they are "spreading the gospel" by means of the ark venture, why are they charging to hear it?
    Because a theme park doesn't run on fresh air. It runs on money.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:15
    I have read a few articles on this theme park, and what struck me was that ALL denominations of 'Christianity' are welcomed to be employees.....doesn't seem to matter whether you are Protestant, Baptist, Catholic, etc. The article did not mention Jehovah Witness which is curious.

Just using this forum as an example, it seems to me that if you lump hundreds of Christians together in a theme park.....and they have differing views, interpretations, and opinions of Bible text, that you could be asking for some intense 'debates' in the lunchroom cafeteria.....or in front of customers. Just requiring employees to be a 'Christian' doesn't seem to avoid the possibility of conflict.....the same as if an atheist worked there.

Just my opinion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree