Christianity: A Self-Reinforcing Ideology?

Christianity: A Self-Reinforcing Ideology?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Oct 12

Belief systems can include beliefs that make them self-reinforcing. The term "self-reinforcing ideology" is used in some similar situations such as: "Khomeinism is a self-reinforcing ideology: The disapproval of the international community and their own people’s discontent only affirm adherents in the rightness of their cause." (http://www.the-american-interest.com/article.cfm?piece=1287)

Is this a characteristic of successful religions? In what ways might the primary general topic on this forum, Christianity, be a self-reinforcing ideology?

Of course this wouldn't mean Christianity is "wrong."

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by JS357
Belief systems can include beliefs that make them self-reinforcing. The term "self-reinforcing ideology" is used in some similar situations such as: "Khomeinism is a self-reinforcing ideology: The disapproval of the international community and their own people’s discontent only affirm adherents in the rightness of their cause." (http://www.the-american-interes ...[text shortened]... be a self-reinforcing ideology?

Go ahead and tell us why you think Christianity is wrong.

n

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
You do a good enough job of showing us that yourself all the time

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by nook7
You do a good enough job of showing us that yourself all the time
I show you why it is right and why evolution is so stupid. 😏

HalleluYAH! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

F

Moves
03 Oct 12
1 edit

Belief systems can include beliefs that make them self-reinforcing. The term "self-reinforcing ideology" is used in some similar situations such as: "Khomeinism is a self-reinforcing ideology: The disapproval of the international community and their own people’s discontent only affirm adherents in the rightness of their cause." (http://www.the-american-interes ...[text shortened]... be a self-reinforcing ideology?

A "self-reinforcing ideology" is perhaps also made up of many instances of circular logic.

Moves
03 Oct 12

My telling a person Christianity is wrong would be like me telling a person the medication that works for them is wrong, while I am not using that medication for the same problem.

Australia

Moves
03 Oct 12

My telling a person Christianity is wrong would be like me telling a person the medication that works for them is wrong, while I am not using that medication for the same problem.
This is the best analogy I've seen for this situation. If it works for you, fine. If I ask you what works for you, and you tell me, fine. If you verbally harass me, trying to get me to take that medication which works for you, even though I've indicated that I'm doing just fine without it, that's another matter entirely. The evil outcrop of every religion is the urge to bulldoze others into your way of thinking.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
This is the best analogy I've seen for this situation. If it works for you, fine. If I ask you what works for you, and you tell me, fine. If you verbally harass me, trying to get me to take that medication which works for you, even though I've indicated that I'm doing just fine without it, that's another matter entirely. The evil outcrop of every religion is the urge to bulldoze others into your way of thinking.
What if I have good reason to believe our body needs certain nutrients to be able to live and operate properly for a long time and I believe I have the pill that will help. Should I tell you about it, so your can choose to take it too or should I keep it a secret to myself?

d

Heaven

Moves
03 Oct 12

those that understand,know that christianity has two laws.love god and love your neighbour.this is not a medication,just pure health.

Moves
03 Oct 12

What if I have good reason to believe our body needs certain nutrients to be able to live and operate properly for a long time and I believe I have the pill that will help. Should I tell you about it, so your can choose to take it too or should I keep it a secret to myself?
That's simple. You should do clinical trials of your pill and publish the results. Get a patent along the way if you aren't feeling altruistic.

Moves
03 Oct 12

Originally posted by dunetwo
those that understand,know that christianity has two laws.love god and love your neighbour.this is not a medication,just pure health.
I once heard someone say that what is simple is not always easy. The prescription to "love god and love your neighbour" appears to be simple, but based on what we see happening in this world, it does not appear to be easy. Is there a religion that keeps the prescription that simple, and has that religion been efficacious in bringing about that love?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Oct 12
1 edit

That's simple. You should do clinical trials of your pill and publish the results. Get a patent along the way if you aren't feeling altruistic.
What if I do not have enough money? Besides, you would be dead before that could be complete.

Moves
03 Oct 12

What if I do not have enough money?
I can help you find venture capitalists if your idea is promising enough. (I really can, but I want an equity position.)

d

Heaven

Moves
03 Oct 12
1 edit

what is simple is not always easy...has that religion been efficacious in bringing about that love? i agree, not easy all the time, but worth it! i can only answer your last question for myself. yes, i have found an efficacious ,tangeable way for/in loving god & neighbour. how do you feel? have you found an efficacious way of loving that makes a genuine impact?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Oct 12

I can help you find venture capitalists if your idea is promising enough. (I really can, but I want an equity position.)
You must first be convinced you need the pill quickly to prevent your death. I do not have the time or ability to prove it to you, Should I just turn my back on you and not tell you that you may have a deadly disease that you don't believe you have?