1. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 20:11
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Get yourself a New Testament.
    I would encourage you to start your day reading the Bible for about 20 minutes.

I am sat here in a hotel in Lancaster thinking "maybe I should nick the bible in my room"

I feel I should have a bible in the house, along with a copy of the Koran and the main texts of the various other religions. Do we have the main texts for any 'dead' religions?

If I stole a bible and reading it converted me into a christian, and I then repented, would that be ok? Actually, If I did steal it, I would feel a little guilty anyway so is that all there is to it? What else is there to 'repentance'?

Apologies for any spelling / grammatical errors, I have had a few glasses of the house red.

--- Penguin
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 22:08
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    What killed-off all those other gods?
    How does one kill what doesn't exist?

The Bible teaches that there is only one God.

You decide whether you want to believe it or not.

Apparently you already have.
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 00:52
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I am sat here in a hotel in Lancaster thinking "maybe I should nick the bible in my room"

I feel I should have a bible in the house, along with a copy of the Koran and the main texts of the various other religions. Do we have the main texts for any 'dead' religions?

If I stole a bible and reading it converted me into a christian, and I then repented, w ...[text shortened]... y spelling / grammatical errors, I have had a few glasses of the house red.

--- Penguin
    What would we ever do without flighty headed folks like you to liven things up with your silly little hypotheticals.

You really should be on stage.

There's one leaving in five minutes.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 08:05
    Originally posted by josephw

….How does one kill what doesn't exist? .…

Agreed.

….The Bible teaches that there is only one God...…

How do you know that it is correct?

….You decide whether you WANT to believe it or not. ... (my emphasis)

Nop. That would be a pointless exercise because, regardless of what I “WANT” to be true, I don’t believe what I “WANT” to be true -rather, I just believe whatever the evidence and logic leads me to believe.

….Apparently you already have. ..…

No -obviously I was joking. I don’t believe there is any “god” or “gods”.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 12:56
    [b] ….How does one kill what doesn't exist? .…

Agreed.

….The Bible teaches that there is only one God...…

How do you know that it is correct?

….You decide whether you WANT to believe it or not. ... (my emphasis)

Nop. That would be a pointless exercise because, regardless of what I “WANT” to be true, I don’t b ...[text shortened]... dy have. ..… [/b]

No -obviously I was joking. I don’t believe there is any “god” or “gods”.[/b]
    "How do you know that it is correct?"

Because I have complete confidence in what the Bible teaches.
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 14:35
    [b]"How do you know that it is correct?"

Because I have complete confidence in what the Bible teaches.[/b]
    What has given you this “complete confidence in what the Bible teaches”?
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    20 Sep '08 10:27
    Basic fundamentalist atheist ignorance!

The Jews referred to the "only living God" centuries before there were any Christians.

All you've done here is spew forth the typical ignorant atheist dogma, which is fundamentally flawed because it is based on lies and ignorance, and further typified by their inability to discern reality.

Think before you post such slavish stereotypical nonsense.
    edit: "Think before you post such slavish stereotypical nonsense."

Zahlanzi posted not a "slavish stereotypical nonsense". Discrimination and your opinions, josephw, are related to the hilt.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '08 09:11
    Of course, josephw, you are not the only one with this attitude.

In another thread I noticed that the same view is adopted by our dear friend epiphenehas, who is discriminative big time due to John (1J 4:2-3): "By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world". So according to this discriminative theological nonsense everyone who is "not truly born by God" -ie by your specific "god"- is invaded by the spirit of Antichrist!

In fact I am not surprised that you feel absolutely free to claim that everybody who express his opinion regarding your fundamentalism is posting "slavish stereotypical nonsense". However this is pathetic.
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '08 09:18
    Originally posted by black beetle

In another thread I noticed that the same view is adopted by our dear friend epiphenehas, who is discriminative big time due to John (1J 4:2-3): "By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that doe ...[text shortened]... ur fundamentalism is posting "slavish stereotypical nonsense". However this is pathetic.
    Hi AH dude🙂

Did you find that Shenk's book??
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Sep '08 22:28
    What has given you this “complete confidence in what the Bible teaches”?
    God.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Sep '08 22:34
    Originally posted by black beetle

In another thread I noticed that the same view is adopted by our dear friend epiphenehas, who is discriminative big time due to John (1J 4:2-3): "By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that doe ...[text shortened]... ur fundamentalism is posting "slavish stereotypical nonsense". However this is pathetic.
    "In fact I am not surprised that you feel absolutely free to claim that everybody who express his opinion regarding your fundamentalism is posting "slavish stereotypical nonsense". However this is pathetic."

You're right. It is pathetic how most opinions expressed in this forum about Christians is "slavish stereotypical nonsense".

Don't be so surprised!
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 13:27
    God.
    What on earth does that mean? does it mean that you have “complete confidence in what the Bible teaches” because a “god” (not “gods&rdquo😉 told you so? If so, exactly how does this god communicate this message to you? -I mean, do you hear voices in your head or what? -if so, what was his exact words and tone of voice and exactly when and where did this god tell you these words?
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 13:491 edit
    God.
    One day, while on my parents' front porch reading a competent work of history, or maybe the great American novel, or a synopsis of the latest developments in the Theory of Evolution in National Geographic--I was maybe sixteen or seventeen at the time--some "elders" who were maybe two, maybe three years older than me stopped their bicycles and asked about my text. It turned out that they couldn't care the slightest about my book or magazine, but were looking to start a conversation that could segue into one about a book they wanted to give me.

The gist of the conversation was that if I would ask God to show me the truth, I would come to see that the gift book--a work partly plagiarized, partly bad history, and partly ? (I wouldn't learn these things for many years)--was the TRUTH. Well, I prayed as sincerely as my Catholic self would allow, and I found no peace giving any credibility to that odd book, even though it contained some remarkably interesting passages. Rather, one might say that the Lord led me further and further from that church rooted in errors that are almost symptomatic of some of the epistemes central to American thinking through the first half of the nineteenth century in America. Or, one might blame the public schools and public universities where I spent some 25 years or so occupying student desks.

Now, you probably have all sorts of reasons for rejecting the teaching of those "elders" that were barely old enough to shave, but I can assure you that I sought the answers through prayer and it led me away from them. This experience, and similar ones with similar assurances from others with divergent notions of "truth" led me to the recognition that there are certain things that I don't know--I call this view agnosticism. But not knowing the Truth (if there is even such a thing) does not mean that I am ignorant of error, and that includes 89.761 percent of what self-professing "Christians" have posted in these esteemed RHP forums during the nearly four years that I've been here reading them, not to mention a good bit of what's been put forth on the other side.

I may not know what is true, but I most certainly have learned to recognize what ain't.
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 18:06

You are so painfully ignorant of what your own sacred text teaches. It does not teach that only
    one God exists, but that there are indeed other gods, but that they are false. The One God
    does not deny the existence of other gods, but merely asserts that they are false.

Nemesio
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 18:08
    Because I have complete confidence in what the Bible teaches.
    Your confidence in the Bible is contingent on your ability to comprehend it. Since you repeatedly
    demonstrate that you misunderstand and misapply it, that confidence ought to be pretty shaky
    indeed.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree