1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 22:551 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's because we're the ones that are the bigots, racists, homophobes, and intolerant of everybody else. 🙄
    I would say many religious christians are homophobes, yes. Those that think homosexuals are somehow deviant or don't deserve equal rights - yes, they are homophobes.

I surely hope you're not denying that there are christians who are bigots?

I am not and would not deny that there are bigots of many different creeds.

I've seen people on this very forum justify prejudice with the bible.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 20:53
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I would say many religious christians are homophobes, yes. Those that think homosexuals are somehow deviant or don't deserve equal rights - yes, they are homophobes.

I surely hope you're not denying that there are christians who are bigots?

I am not and would not deny that there are bigots of many different creeds.

I've seen people on this very forum justify prejudice with the bible.
    Homosexuality is a sin.

Says so right there in the Bible. (The authority concerning life and living,)

Does that make me a homophobe? Nonsense.

Homophobe is a term coined by those who wish to cram their perversion down our throats.

Face reality man! Homosexuality is wrong, and anyone in their right mind knows it. Only the deceived can justify a sin.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 21:08
    Homosexuality is a sin.

Homophobe is a term coined by those who wish to cram their perversion down our throats.

Face reality man! Homosexuality is wrong, and anyone in their right mind knows it. Only the deceived can justify a sin.
    Says so right there in the Bible.

There's a lot in the bible. Do you believe everything in it? The bible has been used to justify miscegenation laws in the US too.. is that ok?

Thinking that homosexuality is a "sin" doesn't make you a homophobe. You wanting to refuse homosexuals equal rights does make you a homophobe - just like wanting to refuse black people equal rights would make you a racist.

It does not matter whether you get the justification for that refusal of rights from the bible or from Moby dick.

Ridiculous. Provide any evidence for this idiotic claim.

The fact is, you pick and choose the rules from the bible. I'm sure you don't follow all the rules in the bible so you just pick the ones most convenient for you.

It's just convenient for you that the bible has a passage that justifies your own prejudices.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 21:27
    Says so right there in the Bible.

There's a lot in the bible. Do you believe everything in it? The bible has been used to justify miscegenation laws in the US too.. is that ok?

Thinking that homosexuality is a "sin" doesn't make you a homophobe. You wanting to refuse homosexuals equal righ ...[text shortened]... just convenient for you that the bible has a passage that justifies your own prejudices.
    You have assumed too much in this post.

For example, why do you think I want to refuse homosexuals equal rights?

I'll be back tomorrow. Gotta go now.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 23:262 edits
    You have assumed too much in this post.

For example, why do you think I want to refuse homosexuals equal rights?

I'll be back tomorrow. Gotta go now.
    Do you support homosexual marriage? If not, then you refuse homosexuals equal rights.

oh.. and the argument that they have the same right to marry someone of the opposite gender is just plain idiotic. It's the same argument that you could make about the miscogenation laws - after all, everyone had the same right to marry anyone as long as they were of the same race.

For the record, I didn't mean to assume that you in particular wanted that - although I know my post implied it. Please clarify though.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 22:32
    Do you support homosexual marriage? If not, then you refuse homosexuals equal rights.

oh.. and the argument that they have the same right to marry someone of the opposite gender is just plain idiotic. It's the same argument that you could make about the miscogenation laws - after all, everyone had the same right to marry anyone as long as they were of ...[text shortened]... hat you in particular wanted that - although I know my post implied it. Please clarify though.
    I should go over and read the Bill of Rights. I don't recall marriage being a right.

Marriage is an institution created by God. It is the union between a man and a woman.

It has been a union between a man and a woman for as long as human history. Now all of a sudden, after all these thousands of years we are being told that homosexuals should be allowed to get married for the sake of their equal rights! Mind numbing nonsense.

Look, PsychoPawn, I have been vilified around here as a bigot and a homophobe, and a few other thing as well. I'm not. I don't agree with the idea that homosexuality is normal. So what! Just because I do doesn't mean I hate gays. I don't. It's my belief, and my right to state my belief just as it is your right to state yours.

So, the fundamental difference between us is that I form my belief system based on the authority of the Bible, and you, if I'm not mistaken, have only your own authority and the authority of others on which to form your own belief system. If you are secure with that, then I wish you all the best.

But you would be making a grave error.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 23:38
    I should go over and read the Bill of Rights. I don't recall marriage being a right.

Marriage is an institution created by God. It is the union between a man and a woman.

It has been a union between a man and a woman for as long as human history. Now all of a sudden, after all these thousands of years we are being told that homosexuals should be allow ...[text shortened]... secure with that, then I wish you all the best.

But you would be making a grave error.

So if government banned marriage altogether you wouldn't complain about your rights being violated I take it?

This is your definition, not mine. Prove there is a god then we'll work on proving that it was created by god.

It has been a union between a man and a woman for as long as human history. Now all of a sudden, after all these thousands of years we are being told that homosexuals should be allowed to get married for the sake of their equal rights! Mind numbing nonsense.

Slavery was common for as long as human history. Now all of a sudden after all these thousands of years we are being told that humans are all made equal and deserve their equal rights!!

History isn't a reason not to change something.

I don't. It's my belief, and my right to state my belief just as it is your right to state yours.

I'm not saying you don't have a right to state your belief. I never said you didn't. That doesn't make your belief ok, non-prejudicial or not homophobic.

I think racists have a right to state their belief, that doesn't mean that their beliefs aren't racist.

But you would be making a grave error

Well, I've searched for god and as much as many christians have told me that if I search then I'll find him - well, I never found him. If you dare say that somehow I wasn't honest in my search or didn't really try then it will be you who will be making an error.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Why do you write "Xian" instead of "Christian? It's a rather awkward abbreviation that stands out like the proverbial sore thumb. Does the name of Christ offend you for some reason?
    "I never write the word policeman for seven cents when I get the same money for cop."--Mark Twain

I find no awkwardness in using the letter Chi, the first letter in the biblical name of Christ to refer to those that follow Jesus. I do find it awkward to employ the term Christian for self-professing "followers" that refute the social conscience Jesus taught, Sunday mornin' church goers who claim allegiance to a particular faith because that is the dominant belief system in their culture, and those whose lives have found purpose, whose personalities have fostered humility, and whose minds have become empowered through an ancient faith. These diverse groups of peoples cannot be named all together by one single term without employing some method of highlighting both the history and ambiguity in the term. Going back to the Greek language to reshape part of the term--in this case only the first letter--keeps its possibilities alive.

BTW the sore thumb to which you refer is a metaphor that became a cliché, but it was never part of a proverb. If you wanna argue terminology, I'm ready to get down.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 19:01

So if government banned marriage altogether you wouldn't complain about your rights being violated I take it?

This is your definition, not mine. Prove there is a ...[text shortened]... my search or didn't really try then it will be you who will be making an error.
    "Well, I've searched for god and as much as many christians have told me that if I search then I'll find him - well, I never found him. If you dare say that somehow I wasn't honest in my search or didn't really try then it will be you who will be making an error."

Not yet anyway. But you will.

If you're looking for evidence, then just look around at the universe. All of creation IS the evidence for a creator God. The reason you don't see it that way is because YOU are in the way.

This all didn't just happen by itself. That's the big lie.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 21:232 edits
    [b]"Well, I've searched for god and as much as many christians have told me that if I search then I'll find him - well, I never found him. If you dare say that somehow I wasn't honest in my search or didn't really try then it will be you who will be making an error."

Not yet anyway. But you will.

If you're looking for evidence, then just look arou use YOU are in the way.

This all didn't just happen by itself. That's the big lie.[/b]
    The reason you don't see it that way is because YOU are in the way.

Hilarious. You essentially use the same idiotic statement that somehow I haven't looked - when I explicitly told you that I had. The arrogance of the religious to tell me what I have done and seen.

I don't discount the possibility that there is a god. The problem is that I have to actually see the evidence specifically pointing to a god - and then if that is true I'd need to see actual evidence that it is the christian god or the jewish god or whatever.

It's entirely possible that god exists, but is completely different than anything anyone has imagined.
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 22:121 edit
    It has been a union between a man and a woman for as long as human history. Now all of a sudden, after all these thousands of years we are being told that homosexuals should be allowed to get married for the sake of their equal rights!
    Great argument: We've always done it this way, so it must be right. Please think about your argument and tell us if you still stand by this reasoning. Thanks.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 22:18
    Homosexuality is a sin.

The Bible also says that homosexuals should be killed. To be consistent, you should believe that we should kill homosexuals here in the United States. Would you like to state here on a public forum that you advocate the killing of homosexuals? If you dont't advocate it, you're being inconsistent. If you do advocate it, then we can let the viewers of this thead think what they will about your moral veracity.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Sep '08 22:45
    ...cram their perversion down our throats.
    Interesting choice of words.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 05:281 edit
    Homosexuality is a sin.

The world is full of opportunities to sin, and arrogance runs deeper, creates more problems, and is condemned more frequently in the Bible than loving those constituted as yourself (I won't even mention the disciple that Jesus loved or the homoeroticism in the Song of Solomon). Moreover, almost every Bible thumper on this site and many of their critics have demonstrated arrogance with 32.56 percent of his or her posts.
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Sep '08 05:37

Well, I've searched for god and as much as many christians have told me that if I search then I'll find him - well, I never found him.
    Maybe she doesn't want to be found by someone bringing your preconceptions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree